Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM
  • 24 Replies

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A Twin Cities man is upset about the way his family was treated on a Southwest Airlines flight because of a tweet.

Duff Watson says he was asked to de-board a flight from Denver to Minneapolis with his two kids on Sunday after an agent didn’t like a tweet he wrote about her service.

Watson and the agent had a disagreement before boarding initially.

“I was left, you know, very upset, very embarrassed, very humiliated,” Watson said.

He’s an “A-List” passenger, which means he gets priority boarding. But a gate agent wouldn’t let his 6-year-old and 9-year-old board with him — so they’d all have to wait to board later.

“In leaving I said, you know, ‘Real nice way to treat an A-list. I’ll be sure to tweet about it,’” he said.

And that’s just what Watson did.

“Something to the effect of, ‘Wow, rudest agent in Denver. Kimberly S, gate C39, not happy @SWA,’” he said.

Soon after getting to their seats, the family of three was asked to leave the plane.

“[She said] her safety feels threatened at this point because of what I tweeted,” Watson said.

Watson’s daughter, Lucy, said she feared for herfather.

“She said ‘I’m going to call the cops,’” Lucy said. “I like thought something bad was going to happen, like my dad being in jail.”

Watson says at that point, his children started to cry. He doesn’t understand why his family was targeted.

“There was no use of profanity, there were no threats made. There was nothing other than, you know, a terse exchange between a customer service agent and a customer,” he said.

Watson says he was forced to delete the tweet.

“She said, ‘You can’t board the plane unless you delete that tweet,’” Watson said.

Southwest Airlines sent a statement which confirmed that a customer was removed for a short time and continued on to Minneapolis. They also said the incident is under review.

In an email to Watson, Southwest apologized for the incident. Because of confidentiality concerns, they could not disclose any disciplinary actions taken.

Watson says he’s not satisfied with their response. All three received $50 vouchers, but Watson says he won’t fly Southwest Airlines again.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/07/22/family-asked-to-leave-sw-plane-after-tweet/

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Thats not ok, he tweeted he didnt threaten her.  

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  I kept waiting to read something more that happened.  But, when the article said SWA apologized, I was shocked. 

Some flight attendant was butt hurt over someone's opinion and innocent tweet~ this happened?  Wow. An example of Hyper sensitive society-FAIL!

Quoting survivorinohio:

Thats not ok, he tweeted he didnt threaten her.  

PinkButterfly66
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:51 PM
2 moms liked this

She wouldn't seat the children with their father?  She really expected him to be ok with that?  She should be fired.

sj2014
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol...I'm not surprised. Lately, I feel flight attendants think they personally are granting me passage to heaven with their put upon, ornery attitudes.

Oh well. I'm never flying again, so they can suck it!

:0)
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Especially at age 6 and 9.  If they were 14 and 17~ I might say ok maybe there is a policy for this.  But 6 and 9?  

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

She wouldn't seat the children with their father?  She really expected him to be ok with that?  She should be fired.

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:03 AM
2 moms liked this

If you want to be treated somewhat like a human being, don't fly Southwest. They are known for being rude.

What the man tweeted wasn't threatening in the least.

Clearly, the gate agent was butthurt about being called out on her rudeness and poor service.

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:05 AM

The last time we flew SWA my husband felt like we were at Dicks Last resort restaurant.  Where the servers are rude to the customer as part of their "flair"...  

Quoting GLWerth:

If you want to be treated somewhat like a human being, don't fly Southwest. They are known for being rude.

Clearly, the gate agent was butthurt about being called out on her rudeness and poor service.

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:10 AM

My DH travels extensively for work, he will not take Southwest if he can avoid it. Usually he can.

Their business model is simply to herd people from point a to point b.

What gets me is that this guy is surprised he was treated this way.

Quoting jcrew6:

The last time we flew SWA my husband felt like we were at Dicks Last resort restaurant.  Where the servers are rude to the customer as part of their "flair"...  

Quoting GLWerth:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:08 AM
2 moms liked this
My husband flys (flies?) at least once a week. He always uses Southwest, never had any issues.

Quoting GLWerth:

My DH travels extensively for work, he will not take Southwest if he can avoid it. Usually he can.

Their business model is simply to herd people from point a to point b.

What gets me is that this guy is surprised he was treated this way.

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting GLWerth:

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:36 AM

good for him for not deleting it; disagreeing with a flight attendant is not a threat of terrorism. 

on the other hand, his A list status was earned for him alone as a reward for frequent flight, it's not reasonable to insist it be extended to his children. 

A Member who flies 25 qualifying one-way flights booked through Southwest Airlines or earns 35,000 Tier Qualifying Points per calendar year will qualify for A-List status.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)