Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What a real Christian looks like

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:19 AM
  • 18 Replies

I'm a Christian.

I believe that the Bible is God's literal word, as God inspired men to write it.

I believe God sent His only son, Jesus Christ, to die as a ransom for our sins, so that upon acceptance of that fact, we may be forgiven of our sins and go to Heaven when we die instead of hell.

I believe we should try to live by Christ's example, but know we are imperfect and will always fall short because we aren't sinless like Christ.

In trying to follow Christ and His teachings, I do not believe in violence; and that we are supposed to love our neighbor as our ourselves.

I don't hang around abortion clinics yelling at poor unfortunate young women. In fact, I had two abortions in my 20s, which I deeply regret.

I don't own a gun as preparation for the end of the world. I would never dream of hurting anyone, and I don't suppose non-Christians aren't deserving of life. We are all on a journey, and we all sin.

I've had gay friends since high school, and many throughout my life, whom I loved. I've attended gay pride rallies in the past. Although, in my older years I've come to understand that homosexuality is a sin, I keep that to myself. Everyone's on their personal journey in life. I'm no less a sinner.

I've been divorced and married again, so I'm an adulterer. In the past, I've lived a promiscuous lifestyle, with  many lovers including mostly one night stands.

I don't think women are inferior and that they have an important role in life. However, I believe woman was made after man, from man, and created to be man's helper. I believe this is why women are "smarter" about some things, and can perceive more emotional things than a man can. To be subservient in some subtle ways does not mean I believe women are less important.

I don't stand on a street corner and prosletyze, though if someone asks me a question about religion in conversation, I don't hold back what I think. I try not to pretend I know everything, because I don't. However, I'm not afraid to say I love God, or believe in Christ, or that I'm a Christian.

I think God gave religion to man, in the Old Testament, to help man have a relationship with Him. However, I think all organized religions  - because man is involved in it - are corrupt. Some probably more than others.

I believe that belief in Christ can save us from all that is sinful, our own sins, our corrupt religions, and everyday problems that we can't fix ourselves.

In adversity, you don't inact violence or prosletyzing or condescending...you pray.

Lately a tiny majority of extremists are portrayed as the only kind of Christians there are. I don't know anybody like the supposed Christians that are portrayed in the media. I'm not like that, nor my family, nor my fellow church-goers. Most Christians I know, have a live and let live attitude about life.

Some Christians believe in evolution instead of creation. Some think abortion is sometimes necessary. Some Christians are homosexual, and some who are not, accept it as normal. Even though these are not my personal beliefs, many Christians fit into society and don't go against the grain as much.

Christians in general are not portrayed accurately these days. Partially because different kinds of Christian religions are not recognized, like the many denominations, that some like to lump all together as one.

Assuming all Christians are the stereotype of a small few, is like believing because one man of a particularly ethnicity robbed a bank, that all people of that ethnicity are robbing banks....we seem today to be under a very bigotted kind of thinking that is narrow and ignorant, and false.

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:23 AM

A Comprehensive Glossary Of Gifs

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM

zzzzzz....

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:37 AM

You have got Iggy pegged, lol

Quoting VooDooB:

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Since she isn't even in this thread that is a bitchy comment. Shame on you.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting VooDooB:

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Butterworth, that is a portrait of you as a Christian.

It is not "the" portrait. There are many kinds and interpretations of being a Christian and Christianity.

Thank you for sharing your personal perspective.
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:59 AM

That is rich coming from you, lol

Quoting romalove: Since she isn't even in this thread that is a bitchy comment. Shame on you.
Quoting candlegal:

Quoting VooDooB:

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Really? Show me where I call out posters and make nasty comments about them in threads that they are not participating.

I'll be over here waiting.

Quoting candlegal:

That is rich coming from you, lol

Quoting romalove: Since she isn't even in this thread that is a bitchy comment. Shame on you.
Quoting candlegal:

Quoting VooDooB:

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
There is no one way to describe a "real" Christian as there is to describe a "real" Minnesotan (accent aside...).
This is why generalities and broadly used stereotypes shut-down discussions.
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Is  this another alternate name?

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Did you seriously just start a thread solely to toot your own horn and tout yourself as the penultimate Christian? Um ... pride (one of the 7 deadly sins, is it not?) goeth before a fall, my dear.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN