Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Isis 'ordering female genital mutilation' in Iraq

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM
  • 15 Replies

Isis 'ordering female genital mutilation' in Iraq - UN

A member loyal to the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isis) waves an Isis flag in Raqqa, Iraq, 29 June 2014Isis-led insurgents have seized large areas of north-western Iraq

A top UN official in Iraq has said the Sunni Islamist group Isis controlling the city of Mosul is seeking to impose female genital mutilation.

All females aged 11 and 46 in the northern city must undergo the procedure, according to an Isis edict, UN official Jacqueline Badcock said.

She said the unprecedented decree was of grave concern.

Some bloggers suggest that the edict, or fatwa, may be a fabrication aimed at discrediting Isis.

Iraq is facing a radical Isis-led insurgency, with Mosul and other cities in the north-west under militant control.

The ritual cutting of girls' genitals is practised by some African, Middle Eastern and Asian communities in the belief it prepares them for adulthood or marriage.

FGM poses many health risks to women, including severe bleeding, problems urinating, infections, infertility and increased risk of newborn deaths in childbirth.

The UN General Assembly approved a resolution in December 2012 calling for all member states to ban the practice.

'Four million'

The Isis edict could affect nearly four million women and girls in and around the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, the UN warns.

Ms Badcock, the UN's resident and humanitarian coordinator in Iraq, said the practice "is something very new for Iraq... and does need to be addressed".

She was talking to reporters via video link from the Kurdish provincial capital of Irbil.

Desperate Iraqi women at the Khazair displacement camp on 30 June 2014 in Khazair, Iraq. Tens of thousands of men, women and children have fled the violence in Mosul since June

"This is not the will of Iraqi people, or the women of Iraq in these vulnerable areas covered by the terrorists," she added.

But some observers have cast doubt on the alleged FGM edict. Jenan Moussa, a correspondent for Dubai-based broadcaster Al AAan TV, said in a tweet that her contacts in Mosul had not heard of it.

Isis militants seized Mosul, Iraq's second largest city, in June, and have since taken over areas of the north-west and closed in on cities near Baghdad.

The order came as Isis asserts its power in northern Iraq and expands in Syria, imposing radical Islamic practices, says BBC Arab affairs editor Lina Sinjab.

Isis forced Christians in Mosul out of the city earlier this week and daubed their houses with the Arabic letter N to mark them out as Christians, apparently confiscating their properties, our correspondent adds.

line

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM
3 moms liked this

Some bloggers suggest that the edict, or fatwa, may be a fabrication aimed at discrediting Isis.

I'm sure it's fabricated and highly doubt it is true. I will tell my family when they call home (which is in the same region of of Iraq) this week to ask.

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM

The Islamic State, which is taking over Iraq, is now forcing shopkeepers to veil their mannequins

It appears that in the group's interpretation of Sharia law, statues in human form are banned.

View image on Twitter

In a possible sign of things to come, the Islamic State has ordered shopkeepers in Mosul to cover the faces of mannequins with veils.

The Sunni extremist group, formerly known as ISIS/ISIL, took control of northern Iraq's largest city two weeks ago.

In the Islamic State's interpretation of Sharia law, statues or artwork in human form are banned.

The group actually banned mannequins entirely from shops in its northern Syria stronghold of Raqa earlier this year, and forbid men and women from shopping together unless they were related.

The Islamic State is impacting Mosul's commercial sector in other ways too.

A shopkeeper who sells women's underwear told Reuters he's been asked to stop his trade and leave it to women, while a cigarette vendor there who asked to remain anonymous said four armed men recently approached him and told him to stop selling tobacco.

"I'm really feeling down because I don't know what I'll do for work after that," he said.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/middle-east/iraq/140722/isis-forcing-shops-mosul-veil-mannequins

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Lovely. WTFH!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Seems like your OP is false.

Shakir Waheib, a senior member of the al-Qaida breakaway group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), left, next to a burning police vehicle in Iraq's Anbar Province

Shakir Waheib, a senior member of the al-Qaida breakaway group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), left, next to a burning police vehicle in Iraq’s Anbar Province

CREDIT: AP Photo via Militant Website, File

Given the brutality seen so far from the militant group known as the Islamic State in Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS), it’s easy to believe any act attributed to them must be true. But a United Nations officials’ statement on the group ordering female genital mutilation in one Iraqi city under their control seems to be less than accurate.

The story began on Thursday when the U.N.’s second senior most official, Jacqueline Badcock, told reporters of a new religious edict issued in ISIS’ name. The edict — or fatwa — ordered all girls and women in the city of Mosul between the ages of 11 and 46 to undergo female genital mutilation, Badcock told reporters in a teleconference from Iraq. “This is something very new for Iraq, particularly in this area, and is of grave concern and does need to be addressed,” Badcock, who serves as the U.N. humanitarian aid coordinator in Iraq, said.

“This is not the will of Iraqi people, or the women of Iraq in these vulnerable areas covered by the terrorists,” she added. The result of such an order, she said, could be up to four million Iraqi girls and women in and around Iraq’s second largest city being forced to undergo the painful procedure. Aside from the initial suffering, the process often leads to a multitude of health problems “including severe bleeding, problems urinating, infections, infertility and increased risk of newborn deaths in childbirth.”

The story quickly began to go viral, racking up hundreds of shares on social media. Soon thereafter, however, journalists with contacts in Iraq began reporting that the story didn’t hold up. “My contacts in #Mosul have NOT heard that ‘Islamic State’ ordered FGM for all females in their city,” Jenan Moussa, a reporter with Al Anan TV tweet out. “Iraqi contacts say #Mosul story is fake,” echoed freelance writer Shaista Aziz, adding: “Iraqi contact on #FGM story: “ISIS are responsible for many horrors, this story is fake and plays to western audience emotions.’”

NPR’s Cairo bureau chief also claimed that the story was false, tweeting “#UN statement that #ISIS issued fatwa calling 4 FGM 4 girls is false residents of Mosul say including a doctor, journalist and tribal leader.” Not long after a version of a document in Arabic, bearing the black logo that ISIS has adopted, began circulating on Twitter. The document, those who shared it said, is a hoax and the basis for the United Nations’ claim.

As one analyst who looked at the document told the Independent, the issuing of such an edict would be a huge shift for ISIS, which has held territory in Syria for months without demanding that FGM take place. The practice tends to be based more on culture, Shiraz Maher, a Senior Fellow at King’s College London, said and “not something jihadists have ever really taken up” or “spoken about.” ThinkProgress reached out to the United Nations for comment on the discrepancy, but did not receive a response as of press time.

The traction that this story seemed to quickly gain is easy to understand given ISIS’ previous actions in the territory it controls. Along with reports of civilian executions, massacring Shiites, and enforcing a strict adherence to their interpretation of Islamic law, ISIS has even resurrected the practice of crucifixion in Syria. But for now it appears that female cutting is one atrocity that ISIS has yet to order.

Tags:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Still false it seems.
StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:21 AM

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

I'm sure it's fabricated and highly doubt it is true. I will tell my family when they call home (which is in the same region of of Iraq) this week to ask.

What do you mean by discrediting ISIS? Discrediting them of what?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:22 AM
1 mom liked this
It is false.

Quoting StarburstKisses:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:27 AM

I've heard that. I was just wondering what she meant by discrediting ISIS. I wanted to know what the group who made this up, would be trying to discredit ISIS of?

Quoting Momniscient: It is false.
Quoting StarburstKisses:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Well obviously they are trying to vilify a group for a certain agenda otherwise why make a false accusation?
Also she didn't say that, it was written in the OP.

Quoting StarburstKisses:

I've heard that. I was just wondering what she meant by discrediting ISIS. I wanted to know what the group who made this up, would be trying to discredit ISIS of?

Quoting StarburstKisses:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Oh, I didn't see that hahah. I thought they were both written by her. I'll write back to the OP and ask. ISIS isn't known for much good. I do wonder why someone would want to make them out worse than they already are. Seems like they're doing a geat job of making people against them. 

Quoting Momniscient: Well obviously they are trying to vilify a group for a certain agenda otherwise why make a false accusation? Also she didn't say that, it was written in the OP.
Quoting StarburstKisses:

Quoting StarburstKisses:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN