Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

California 80-year-old satisfied after gunning down fleeing pregnant home intruder

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM
  • 141 Replies

By Tom Boggioni
Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:38 EDT

long_beach_shooting_screencap

An 80-year-old Long Beach man could be facing charges after admitting he shot a home intruder twice in the back, killing her, as she ran away and despite the fact that she told him she was pregnant.

Tom Greer returned to his home Tuesday to find it being ransacked by a man and a woman.

“I walked in on them,” Greer told KNBC. “And they jumped on me in the hallway.”

Greer said that he was tackled and thrown to the ground but managed to get his .22-caliber revolver and confronted them as they ransacked a safe containing cash.

Seeing the gun, the couple ran out of the house and started down an alley.

“The lady, she couldn’t run as fast as the man, so I shot her in the back twice,” Greer explained. “She’s dead, but he got away.”

“She says, ‘Don’t shoot me, I’m pregnant! I’m going to have a baby!’ And I shot her anyway,” Greer said.

According to NBC4 legal analyst Royal Oakes, authorities will have a lot to consider as they contemplate pressing charges.

“On the one hand, a frail man in his eighties, he’s been attacked in his own home by intruders, he has a right to self defense,” Oakes explained. “On the other hand, he did shoot a person who was trying to get away, so he wasn’t in imminent danger himself, and the law says you can’t shoot somebody under those circumstances.”

Greer, who suffered a severe shoulder and collarbone injury in the altercation, says he has no regrets about the shooting, “I shot her so that’s going to leave a message on his mind for the rest of his life.”

Police who are investigating the shooting have not located the man who escaped.

http://www.rawstory.com/...

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

If he was not in fear of his life, he was in the wrong here.

It sounds like she was on the way out of the house.

This is where gun owners, myself included, need to "keep our safety on."  You don't fire if you or your family is not in danger. 

Erika..

The best things in life are not things.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM
3 moms liked this

He should have been arrested on the spot, based on his own account of events.

I cannot fathom why not.

Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Wow.
littlemum41
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Shot her in the BACK? Not good.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Totally in the wrong. I hope he is prosecuted.

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:16 PM
6 moms liked this

When he first encountered them he didn't have a gun.    They didn't run,   they pounced on him.    Doing that to an 80 year old man is total disregard for a  defenseless person    80?!!      He'll likely never fully recover from those injuries and that can impact his quality of life for whatever is left of it. 

He was wrong but I don't think what he did is the only relevant part of the story.     

PerseyG
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:01 PM
8 moms liked this
he should be arrested and charged with murder. Yes, they robbed him. Yes, they assaulted him.

However, he admits that he didn't shoot to protect himself. He shot "to send a message". he picked his target, aimed, and shot twice to kill. He killed a woman who was running away to emotionally affect the male intruder. He thinks it's a bonus that she was possibly pregnant.

Why are we allowing these old men to own guns? most of them shouldn't even be allowed to drive anymore let alone wield weaponry. This is the second time in a month some old fart has had controversy with a gun.
.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

The punishment for stealing in the US is not death.

She was fleeing. He had no reason to shoot.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM
6 moms liked this
ADMITS self defense was not any factor at all. ADMITS she said I'm pregnant. Shot her not once in the back which would have been bad enough, but twice. To send a message.

Hardened soldiers often say that they never get over taking a life, even when it's kill or be killed. It affects a normal person. This guy took delight in it. No threat at all but he couldn't wait to blow someone away. Who's kidding who?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:52 PM
5 moms liked this
What? Maybe she and her scumbag baby
Daddy should not have broken into someone's private HOME and thrown an 80 year old man down on the floor as they were robbing him!

Pretty avoidable stuff here.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

He should have been arrested on the spot, based on his own account of events.

I cannot fathom why not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)