Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

s/o: Hey, gun nuts: Shooting someone who is running away in the back is not self-defense

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:10 AM
  • 106 Replies
2 moms liked this

By Amanda Marcotte
Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:16 EDT

shutterstock_98980775

Another brave American, who is totally brave because guns make you big and brave and manly through osmosis, has taken another life:

Greer said that he was tackled and thrown to the ground but managed to get his .22-caliber revolver and confronted them as they ransacked a safe containing cash.

Seeing the gun, the couple ran out of the house and started down an alley.

“The lady, she couldn’t run as fast as the man, so I shot her in the back twice,” Greer explained. “She’s dead, but he got away.”

“She says, ‘Don’t shoot me, I’m pregnant! I’m going to have a baby!’ And I shot her anyway,” Greer said.

She died.

Look, as with the guy who stood over a suffering teenage girl and killed her execution-style, I’m not condoning house break-ins. But they aren’t capital offenses. And even if they were, which is ludicrous, people deserve a trial by jury first.

If your explanation is that you selected your target because she was slower than her partner, you are not engaging in self-defense. You are engaging in human-hunting and you quite literally did what predators do, which is to attack the weakest member of the herd. Shooting unarmed people in the back is basically the definition of cowardly behavior. Shooting an unarmed pregnant woman in the back as she’s running from you may be the single most cowardly thing I’ve ever heard of. But this asshole is just so proud of himself. For some reason the video won’t embed, but you can watch it here.  ”I shot her so that’s going to leave a message on his mind for the rest of his life,” the killer, Tom Greer said. Because that’s how right wing propaganda destroys your moral compass, so that “teaching a lesson” or “sending a message” is so all-important that you should feel free to murder in order to do so.

That’s what the gun industry’s relentless propaganda equating being trigger-happy with being “manly” or “brave” has done: Encouraged sniveling cowards to think their cowardice is somehow “bravery”. There is nothing dignified or brave about shooting a pregnant woman in the back. It’s scummy and cowardly and pathetic.

Amanda Marcotte is a freelance journalist born and bred in Texas, but now living in the writer reserve of Brooklyn. She focuses on feminism, national politics, and pop culture, with the order shifting depending on her mood and the state of the nation.
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:29 AM
14 moms liked this
I'm actually shocked (though dumbly so given some continual responses here) that there are people trying to defend this guys actions.

We all know the two were severely wrong for engaging in criminal activity. I hope they catch and punish the male perp.

I hope this old man is also prosecuted for murdering the woman.
PerseyG
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:39 AM
6 moms liked this
well...we are referring to the same people who think Ted Nugent is a swell human being full of compassion and humility...rather than the old, sweaty, crazy racist, pedo he actually is.

I think they just love old white men who shoot guns unconditionally.
HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:43 AM
16 moms liked this
Not everyone who wants to keep their gun rights agree with shooting a fleeing pregnant woman in the back. Just saying.
btamilee
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree!  I am not a gun nut, in fact....I dislike guns.  BUT....I believe in the right to legally have guns. 

Quoting HIJKLM: Not everyone who wants to keep their gun rights agree with shooting a fleeing pregnant woman in the back. Just saying.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:55 AM
4 moms liked this
most do not agree with it. Very few people would think shooting someone in the Back as they are running away would be ok.

Quoting HIJKLM: Not everyone who wants to keep their gun rights agree with shooting a fleeing pregnant woman in the back. Just saying.
VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:06 AM
5 moms liked this

I'm not a "gun nut". I don't own a gun, never shot a gun. But I do believe in the right to own a gun legally. (although I'm not cool with assult weapons, there's a line for me).

And no, I don't believe this guy is innocent in the least for shooting a woman in the back and killing her while she was running away.

If it was me, I'd just take out the back of her knee. That'll end her robbing and beating up old men days.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM

This, except for the not owning a gun, shooting a gun part.

Quoting VooDooB:

I'm not a "gun nut". I don't own a gun, never shot a gun. But I do believe in the right to own a gun legally. (although I'm not cool with assult weapons, there's a line for me).

And no, I don't believe this guy is innocent in the least for shooting a woman in the back and killing her while she was running away.

If it was me, I'd just take out the back of her knee. That'll end her robbing and beating up old men days.

skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM
6 moms liked this
Common sense will never make sense to the people who constantly defend the heinous, murderous, intentional, irrational, indefensible atrocities committed by the mentally unstable gun owners who are obviously determined to find a "second amendment solution" to everything. The majority of ammosexuals are just itching to use their deadly phallic symbols as a final solution to such life and death situations as loud music, road rage, people running away from them, dogs barking, black skin, clothing that meets with their disapproval, kids on the lawn,.....
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:29 AM
6 moms liked this

Beating up old people is as cowardly as it gets. If you don't want to get shot anywhere -- front, back, or side -- it's wise to refrain from burglarizing other people's homes.

I am a proponent of gun control and a long-time Democrat.

I'm more concerned about the idiots carrying assault weapons around Walmart or Target or wherever...and schools. I'm more concerned about shootings like the one in Florida at the gas station where the white guy opened fire on a car full of black youths because their music was too loud.

When you choose to commit a crime against another human being, you are taking a huge risk. Everyone knows that.

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this

My step-father-in-law IS a gun nut (well, he's a hunter - grew up in northern Michigan where banks and schools close for opening season) and he's been trying to get me to his hunting camp (private land) for years to teach me how to shoot. We're going to visit in August I'm considering finally doing it. I don't think he owns assult rifles but I know he has several hand-guns and of course hunting rifles and bows & arrows up the wazoo.

Quoting dawnie1:

This, except for the not owning a gun, shooting a gun part.

Quoting VooDooB:

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN