Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Americans are in more danger from toddlers than terrorists

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:20 AM
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this
http://m.thefrisky.com/entry/view/id/16772

In our collective never ending discussion that usually results in trying to make it a non discussion, there are still facts that speak to the necessity to have a dialogue about American gun culture. These numbers are from last year but here is an article addressing some numbers from this year
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5527932

Is this acceptable in the ideological world of 2nd amendment rights? Is this just 'collateral damage' in the 'war of rights?'

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I was listening to a story on NPR about kids in hot cars deaths. The reported said an average on 38 kids are killed in hot cars each year and despite increased prevention efforts since 2011 the number has barely budged.

Wait...38 kids a year? Out of millions? Is that even worth addressing?

skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this
Americans are in imminent danger from the brutal, illegal tactics of law enforcement more than from foreign terrorism.
LIMom1105
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm sure you'll get the same arguments, 100 is negligible and barely worth addressing.

I teach my child not to touch. These people did not.

Knives and hammers can be used as weapons too

The study was supported by Bloomberg and he wants to take away my guns.

Same tired statements come up over and over. Some become blind to facts when it comes to the 2nd amendment.

Personally, this is an appalling loss, and I do think the idea of liability for irresponsible gun owners is overdue (those who leave weapons laying around loaded and unlocked). But some will see this as a "ban".
Momniscient
by Obama licker on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM
4 moms liked this
Feel free to find the reports detailing hammer deaths and hammers used in mass death. Or knives.

Some are blind to facts.

Yes. Irresponsible gun owners absolutely should be prosecuted.

Where is the legislation and proposals proving Bloomberg wants your guns?

Quoting LIMom1105: I'm sure you'll get the same arguments, 100 is negligible and barely worth addressing.

I teach my child not to touch. These people did not.

Knives and hammers can be used as weapons too

The study was supported by Bloomberg and he wants to take away my guns.

Same tired statements come up over and over. Some become blind to facts when it comes to the 2nd amendment.

Personally, this is an appalling loss, and I do think the idea of liability for irresponsible gun owners is overdue (those who leave weapons laying around loaded and unlocked). But some will see this as a "ban".
Momniscient
by Obama licker on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:53 AM
4 moms liked this
Yes. It absolutely is.

And those deaths are probed, prosecuted and actively worked on to find solutions.

It'd be great if these gun deaths were as well.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I was listening to a story on NPR about kids in hot cars deaths. The reported said an average on 38 kids are killed in hot cars each year and despite increased prevention efforts since 2011 the number has barely budged.

Wait...38 kids a year? Out of millions? Is that even worth addressing?

MelanieJK
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Accidents (even very preventable ones) aren't as terrorizing as someone intentionally trying to kill innocent people.      The terror isn't in the numbers,    it's in the terrorizing impact.

Momniscient
by Obama licker on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM
3 moms liked this
So let's ignore the numbers then?

I don't know about you but I'm quite terrorized by toddlers killing people.

Quoting MelanieJK:

Accidents (even very preventable ones) aren't as terrorizing as someone intentionally trying to kill innocent people.      The terror isn't in the numbers,    it's in the terrorizing impact.

littlemum41
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I am,too. And the thing is, the PARENTS are at fault when kids kill with guns. But parents refuse to be blamed for anything.  Probably the parents who are at fault are the same ones who are confused and think the poiticians are going to take their guns away.

It is frustrating,to say the least. Irrational thinking and fear reign...

Quoting Momniscient: So let's ignore the numbers then? I don't know about you but I'm quite terrorized by toddlers killing people.
Quoting MelanieJK:

Outspoken.Mime
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM
5 moms liked this

We have guns in my home.

They are fully secured.

I am 100% in favor of prosecuting parents who do NOT have their guns secured and have children in the home, in the same way as could be done for a child left in a hot car or not in a car seat.

Any responsible gun owner should feel the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)