Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

No Lunch Period In High School...Coming To Your Neighborhood Soon?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:18 PM
  • 87 Replies

It's already here for us. 

My kids go to a near-overcrowded 7-12 building. I've been hearing from parents of 10th and 11th graders for years now about how their kids have had no lunch periods so they could squeeze in all the classes they want/need.  And I swore it wouldn't ever be my kid.  No class is more important than having a lunch. 

Last year my girl (10th grade) had 4th period lunch on odd days and 8th period lunch on even days.  I wasn't happy about it, but my girl didn't mind.  Several of her friends were following similar schedules.  My girl is pretty good at taking care of her own shit, so I try to stay out of her way.  I chose not to interfere.  Technically, 8th period isn't a "lunch" period, but if kids get there quickly, they can still get food.  And there's vending machines.  She did fine.

So now she's fighting me to take classes and electives that would result in her having a lunch only every other day.  And I got to wondering...how much of this is happening across the country?  Other districts in neighboring towns don't seem to have any trouble scheduling lunch.  But I can see how this can happen nowadays.

When a school has too many kids and too little space, they've got to squeeze classes into the schedule strategically.  Plus, the demand on schools for impressive and diverse electives means the puzzle is made of too many little pieces rather than a more manageable number of big pieces.  Add to that the Guidance Dept.'s policy of encouraging kids to take as many AP classes as possible (which helps the school achieve higher rankings, regardless of whether or not the kids actually pass the AP exam.)

And then there's the parents...they read up on what the colleges require for admission and topping every list is "rigorous high school workload."  So they demand the schedules be filled to capacity.  And it's a snowball..."I heard Sally can take AP Physics because she isn't taking a lunch this year.  You don't need lunch, do you dear?" 

So over the years, it's become part of the culture at our school.  Does it happen at your kids' schools?  What are your thoughts on the policy?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I recall taking lunches out of high school being discussed for years.  Maybe even back in 2000...

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM
My oldest son is in the culinary program at his high school. That means he misses the official lunch slot because he's preparing/serving lunch. But he gets the next slot off and he eats then. The cafeteria isn't technically open, but the kids that work lunch get leftovers for free.

However, this year because he wants to continue with the culinary program as well as taking some AP sciences he won't have that after lunch slot open. He knows that and is fine with it. It's his choice to take the courses in which he's enrolled.

On another note, how long are classes there that an 8th slot would still be around lunch time? We don't even have an 8th slot. Lunch is 4th period, classes are an hour long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this

This is not happening in our district, thankfully.  

Lunch is important, just as important, as any other class.  That break is necessary for the mind, soul, the body and the spirit.  Just as a lunch break at any given employment is important.

I would never allow my daughter to forego a break during her upcoming high school years.  Not that I could really stop her, in all honesty and reality.  If the school attempted to mandate, or even suggest, such a thing I have a feeling the parents in our town would be more than a bit upset.

I agree on the pushing of the AP courses.  Regardless of the student, they push the courses that must be paid for in order to up the rankings of such of the school.  That does a great disservice to many students for a variety of reasons.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM
You have to pay for AP courses there?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Lunch is important, just as important, as any other class.  That break is necessary for the mind, soul, the body and the spirit.  Just as a lunch break at any given employment is important.

I would never allow my daughter to forego a break during her upcoming high school years.  Not that I could really stop her, in all honesty and reality.  If the school attempted to mandate, or even suggest, such a thing I have a feeling the parents in our town would be more than a bit upset.

I agree on the pushing of the AP courses.  Regardless of the student, they push the courses that must be paid for in order to up the rankings of such of the school.  That does a great disservice to many students for a variety of reasons.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Quoting canadianmom1974: You have to pay for AP courses there?
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Freshman do, yes.  Some AP courses your Sophomore year require a fee while others do not.

nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I've heard of it happening, but it hasn't happened with my 15 year old.  She has had a shortened lunch at times through last year because her state test scores mandated that she be in tutoring, but she did still have a lunch.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it is horrible. Kids think and process better if they are not starving. Fortunately, my son goes to Montessori school so it is not an issue ... at least not at present.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4music
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM

While the guidance department may suggest the kids take as many AP courses as possible, canceling lunch reads more as an option than policy.  I would also encourage my kids to take as many classes as possible vs. sitting in a study hall but IMO as many as possible would include a slot for lunch in the schedule.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM

When I was in high school, you had the option of not taking a lunch period and getting out early. My high school was not the best and, in the four years that I attended, I never stepped foot in the cafeteria. I would get a snack mid-day from the lobby and my friends and I would leave at 1:20.

lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

That is ridiculous!

If they took out lunch, my kids would be packing one to keep in their locker that they could eat on in between classes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN