Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young shopper catches employees 'stalking' him

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM
  • 13 Replies

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/22/rashid-polo-shopping-while-black-vine_n_5610667.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

**Click on the link to watch the Vines**

Vine User Blasts Employees Following Him Around Stores In Best Possible Way

The Huffington Post  | By
Posted: 07/22/2014 5:20 pm EDT Updated: 07/22/2014 5:59 pm EDT
Print Article
RASHID POLO SHOPPING
Vine / Rashid Polo

While shopping in a series of convenience stores, Vine user Rashid Polo realized that something was up: the store employees around him were ostensibly hard at work, bending to rearrange products for sale, busying themselves with drink machines, but they kept popping up wherever he went.

This phenomenon was not a new experience for Polo, and no matter where he was or what he was doing, it seemed he was guilty of only one crime: shopping while black.

So he came up with the brilliant idea to catch the clerks on camera and uploaded the resulting videos to Vine.

"[The employee] been following me around the store the whole time," he explains in one, but before he can continue, his camera lens catches her close behind him once again.

"There she goes!" he says. "She thinks I'm stealing."

A number of African-Americans have experienced the perils of shopping while black, including a few very famous folks. President Barack Obama has shared stories about being followed in department stores when he was young. Last year, a Swiss clerk refused to show Oprah Winfrey a handbag because it would "cost too much."

But when people who aren't presidents or media moguls are discriminated against, the incident tends to go on unchecked. But Polo's vines put his experience -- and the experiences of so many others -- center stage, and he took to Twitter to say how happy he was his videos could make even the smallest difference.

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armywifey1983
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM

BUMP!

numbr1wmn
by Lina on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM

This happened to me the other day.

BrutalTruth
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Happened to me more than once. One time, I got pissed and left a cart full of groceries in Albertsons. If I notice you following me, I will say something to you and then leave whatever I was planning on buying there and take my business somewhere else.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

This happens often.

Store employees are told to watch certain people.  This includes young, black people.

furbabymum
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM

My DH has totally been stalked around Kmart and he's not black.

trippyhippy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

They stalk my hubby because he's heavily tattooed.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM

This reminds me of a few weeks back.

My daughter and two of her friends (guys) and I were at Fred Meyer.  They were off in the electronics while I picked up a few items else where.

When I headed over to where they were I noticed two different employees watching them.  Of course they were trying to be sly but it was more than a bit obvious.

I asked one of them what they thought those kids were up to.  Nothing, they are teens, that was enough.

I them walked over to them, told them it was time to go.  Walked past the employee, smile and waved.

Pretty sad.

VooDooB
by The Corruptor on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

People don't "shop" at convenience stores. People are in and out of them very quickly.

If I worked there and saw someone ambling around taking video on his cell phone I'd probably keep my eye on that person too. Age, gender, or race wouldn't be a factor. Anyone wandering around taking video of himself while talking to himself is a big freak flag to keep your eye on.

DSamuels
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:05 PM

And anyone hanging around for a long time in the same area, or looking around like they are trying to see if an employee or anyone is watching them. We are told to ask if they need help and depending on where they are, ie near high priced items that are often stolen, make yourself visible. If we have concerns we are told to report it to the manager or AP (asset protection).

Quoting FromAtoZ:

This happens often.

Store employees are told to watch certain people.  This includes young, black people.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:43 PM

When I was a teen girl, I was followed often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)