Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Florida Mother Forced into C-Section?!

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:04 PM
  • 68 Replies

http://www.inquisitr.com/1373884/florida-mother-being-forced-into-cesarean-section-by-hospital-and-judge-she-doesnt-want-it/

by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM
7 moms liked this
Ok. Here's my problem with this. The hospital states they want a csection performed IF she comes into that hospital.

They have a right to alleviate their malpractice and perform to their medical standards and she has a right to reject that hospital. That's what this ruling is about it seems... If she chooses that hospital they want her to abide by their findings and recommendation.

Many women are hard pressed to find doctors willing to do vbacs especially after 3 csections. Mine won't.
Which means the woman isn't forced into a csection. She's forced to find a doctor willing to comply with her informed decision.
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Clicky please....

http://www.inquisitr.com/1373884/florida-mother-being-forced-into-cesarean-section-by-hospital-and-judge-she-doesnt-want-it/

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Clicky please....

.veni.vidi.vici
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
She shouldn't be forced to have a c- sect.

I remember very clearly reading every document that was part of MY OB contract and it stayed clearly that if I don't adhere to the medical opinions and recommendations of my team of doctors they would not accept me as a patient. One of the instances was that of c-sect. I had no issue worth having a C-section if needed one. If I was adamant to not have one I would have attempted to found a doctor that understood my concerns and would work with me to have the birth experience I wanted.

FTR it rocks me off that the hospital and doctors are treating her like a criminal. It's disgusting.
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, but no doctor has the right to force unscientific views on their patients. They are not God, and i will go so far as to say that labor and delivery is the least scientific medical practice of any medical field. As a patient, she has the unalienable right to refuse unscientific and medically unnecessary procedures. No court should ever be able to enforce a doctor's will on any patient. Period.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
The courts aren't.

Quoting kailu1835: Sorry, but no doctor has the right to force unscientific views on their patients. They are not God, and i will go so far as to say that labor and delivery is the least scientific medical practice of any medical field. As a patient, she has the unalienable right to refuse unscientific and medically unnecessary procedures. No court should ever be able to enforce a doctor's will on any patient. Period.
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 5:42 PM
I see. So the Dr and hospital are collectively protecting themselves, however she is free to pursue her birth plan with another Dr at a different hospital. Still, how does child services play a roll in this?

Quoting Momniscient: Ok. Here's my problem with this. The hospital states they want a csection performed IF she comes into that hospital.

They have a right to alleviate their malpractice and perform to their medical standards and she has a right to reject that hospital. That's what this ruling is about it seems... If she chooses that hospital they want her to abide by their findings and recommendation.

Many women are hard pressed to find doctors willing to do vbacs especially after 3 csections. Mine won't.
Which means the woman isn't forced into a csection. She's forced to find a doctor willing to comply with her informed decision.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 5:46 PM
She's insisting they follow her ideal. It appears as if they reported her because she insisted they do it for her and they had to to get a court order to protect themselves IF she chooses to go to that hospital.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee: I see. So the Dr and hospital are collectively protecting themselves, however she is free to pursue her birth plan with another Dr at a different hospital. Still, how does child services play a roll in this?

Quoting Momniscient: Ok. Here's my problem with this. The hospital states they want a csection performed IF she comes into that hospital.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Ahh...yes. While I understand her insistance, I also realize a patient can not dictate to any hospital. Doctors can and will drop anyone from their service. My thinking now is that if this hospital went through the effort to obtain this order, I have to wonder if she and the baby's lives are in danger.
You know I've never had a c-section. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but does it really matter? I would think any mother would want to avoid any life threatening complications .

Quoting Momniscient: She's insisting they follow her ideal. It appears as if they reported her because she insisted they do it for her and they had to to get a court order to protect themselves IF she chooses to go to that hospital.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee: I see. So the Dr and hospital are collectively protecting themselves, however she is free to pursue her birth plan with another Dr at a different hospital. Still, how does child services play a roll in this?

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's ridiculous that the hospital is threatening her with CPS. I don't think another hospital is going to solve anything if the hospital has indeed gone so far to threaten CPS and go to court. Another hospital might even refuse her care in this situation and if not, this hospital may still go to court saying she's endangering her child by going against medical advice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)