Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hey. You people that work out. Let me ask you a question...(obvious fluff)

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:37 PM
  • 56 Replies
So, I've started working out quite a bit, a mixture of yoga, Pilates, athletic tabata, and some crossfit (obviously not all on the same day). It's for general purposes of being a badass. Anyway, all I really drink is water. I'll have herbal tea with raw honey every once in a while. The point is, I stay hydrated. I have been having the WORST muscle cramps in my legs. It won't stop. I've tried taking in more natural proteins, bananas, coconut water. It's mainly my calf muscles but my quads have recently started up equally as bad. Does anyone have any other options than the ones I listed?
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Stretching before and after workouts. IF you go to a health club with a hot tub or sauna, try that. Use a foam roller to relase the tension in the connective tissues and just accept that until your body acclimates, you're going to have some muscle pain.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:47 PM
I definitely stretch before and after, that foam roller is the devil lol but I use it. I dropped a bunch of weight a few years ago, mostly diet and exercise but not like the exercising I'm doing now. It was so bad the other day I didn't know how I was going to walk. It's only my legs, that's the part that gets me. My arms get sore but not to the point of pain on that level. Maybe I'm just getting old

Quoting GLWerth:

Stretching before and after workouts. IF you go to a health club with a hot tub or sauna, try that. Use a foam roller to relase the tension in the connective tissues and just accept that until your body acclimates, you're going to have some muscle pain.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Experiment with changing your shoes, both the ones you wear while exercising and the ones you wear the rest of the time.  

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Proper stretching, proper workout timing and spacing (meaning don't do strength training everyday and switch large muscle groups with small etc) and look into potassium rich foods.
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM
salt...gatorade and powerade have a lot of sodium to help with water retention...eat trail mix with sea salt
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this

You are low on Potassium, I promise you that. With you being recently being ill and all  the medication you are depleted of Potassium. Your doctor can prescribe you a 30 day's worth of Potassium to get you started and eat a couple banana's a day also. You can make shake's , smoothie's with them or just eat them. Being low to the point of leg cramp's just eating a couple a day is really not enough to give you the good boost you need to get started that is why I say see if your doctor will prescribe a month's worth for you to give you a super duper boost. If you can not get a prescription then look at the health food store for something with highest dose of Potassium you can get.

With the strong prescribed Potassium and a couple bananas a day you will feel result's including more energy with in 3 day's. If you go with something over the counter from the health food store it will take about a week to 10 day's to get built up in your system before you feel the result's.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Magnesium and zinc supplements. Try them. 

Also, you need to target your IT bands in your legs when stretching, because if they're tight, your calves and glutes will clench up too. 

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:32 PM
How did I not think of Gatorade??

Quoting motha2daDuchess: salt...gatorade and powerade have a lot of sodium to help with water retention...eat trail mix with sea salt
ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:33 PM
I try and switch out strength training and yoga every other work out. I wouldn't think my legs would be as bad as they are since I'm on them all friggin day

Quoting Momniscient: Proper stretching, proper workout timing and spacing (meaning don't do strength training everyday and switch large muscle groups with small etc) and look into potassium rich foods.
ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
That's an awesome idea!

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

You are low on Potassium, I promise you that. With you being recently being ill and all  the medication you are depleted of Potassium. Your doctor can prescribe you a 30 day's worth of Potassium to get you started and eat a couple banana's a day also. You can make shake's , smoothie's with them or just eat them. Being low to the point of leg cramp's just eating a couple a day is really not enough to give you the good boost you need to get started that is why I say see if your doctor will prescribe a month's worth for you to give you a super duper boost. If you can not get a prescription then look at the health food store for something with highest dose of Potassium you can get.

With the strong prescribed Potassium and a couple bananas a day you will feel result's including more energy with in 3 day's. If you go with something over the counter from the health food store it will take about a week to 10 day's to get built up in your system before you feel the result's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN