Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

An autopsy completed on Friday concluded Miller was not pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
acrogodess
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I was wondering myself how the old man chased them down fast enough. My 81 yr old grandma certainly is now handicapped so she can't even walk. My other grandma is 75 and still works full time at a factory but she can't run at all to save her life.

Quoting mcknitro: Well said!!! So many people want to judge him for his actions, yet none of them were there at the time. None of them knows the fear he may have undergone and therefore a possible state of temporary insanity. Maybe he was not able in that moment to make the determination of what was right or wrong, and therefore did what he believed would protect him at the time. I think a good lawyer could get him off the hook too. The only ones in this scene rio under the right state of mind were the criminals. Their actions only are what got her killed. The rest is a circumstance of the situation that SHE chose to be in.

I, myself, would want to give the intruder the time to double back and come at me again.

Also, I'd like to know how an 80 yr old man chased 20 something yr old down to shoot them? And if shot in the back, how was she pleading she was pregnant?

Quoting acrogodess: See, personally, if someone had attacked and seriously injured my 81 year old grandma, I may be perfectly willing to accept a murder charge. I would be too irrational at that specific moment in time to be reasoned with.

The Adrenaline from having discovered a robbery in progress as well as having been attacked, beaten and having his collar bone injured may have been pumping big time. It is called a "crime of passion". A good lawyer would be able to argue the old man was justified in his actions. No one would be in a good state of mind after all that had just occurred to them.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but they had no problem victimizing this old man. The news story could have easily been how he was found days later dead after having been robbed and beaten. I'm glad the old man survived the attack on his home and person.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Yes, in the home she was possibly a direct threat to him...running down the street shot in the back is murdered

Quoting Godgaveme4: And if he had shot her while she was in the home? Would those of you who feel sorry for this criminal feel differently?

Fayanne
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

no sympathy for her

you willingly break into someone's home, you willingly put yourself at risk.

end of discussion.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Glad she wasnt pregnant.

That guy is still a pig.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM
So it doesn't bother you at all that some guy decided to dispense some Wild West-style vigilantism on a fleeing victim to "teach a lesson"? Not even in his own home, I might add. This guy is not Judge Dredd, he doesn't have the right to execute. Robbery or even assault doesn't get the death penalty in this country, especially without due process.

Quoting Fayanne:

no sympathy for her

you willingly break into someone's home, you willingly put yourself at risk.

end of discussion.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM

this

Quoting LauraKW: Doesn't make her any less dead.

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM
This

Quoting canadianmom1974: One doesn't have to feel sympathy for the woman involved to think that the man was wrong for shooting her. It's not an either/or thing, where one has to choose a side.

She was wrong for breaking into his home and assaulting him and he was wrong for shooting her in the back when she fleeing, and thus not an immediate threat.

Whether she was pregnant or not has no bearing.
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Agree

Quoting canadianmom1974: One doesn't have to feel sympathy for the woman involved to think that the man was wrong for shooting her. It's not an either/or thing, where one has to choose a side.

She was wrong for breaking into his home and assaulting him and he was wrong for shooting her in the back when she fleeing, and thus not an immediate threat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Yep.

Quoting jjchick75: This

snowball01201
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Even more so if she makes the choice to chase them down to shoot and kill them! A tiny little detail she seems to be conveniently missing.

Quoting Momniscient: You certainly are allowed. Who is going to stop you? You may then be prosecuted for manslaughter or murder if it's warranted. In the case of the old man it's warranted.
Quoting Godgaveme4: So you are saying that if a someone breaks into my house and beats me up and I am able to get to a gun, I am not allowed to shoot them in my home? They are still in my home and therefore still a threat!
Quoting Momniscient: Well your opinion isnt supported by law so, carry on with that. Hope your opinion never gets you into gun trouble.
Quoting Godgaveme4: Thank you for your response. I disagree with, but that is nothing new. Do you know that more people are killed by the hands of other than with guns each year? I was surprised to know that. So that is a real threat and problem. IMO, if someone breaks into a home and begins beating up the homeowner, the homeowner has the right to shoot said criminal. It is a possible consequence to the crime. I am aware of what happened in this story.
Quoting Momniscient: If he wasn't in imminent danger himself of death, no, he had no right to shoot her. Being beaten up does not give anyone the right to inflict the death penalty. Nor does being robbed. And... That isn't what happened. He shot her in the back twice while she was fleeing.
Quoting Godgaveme4: So your answer is that even inside the home, after she beat him up, he did not have the right to shoot her?
Quoting Momniscient: Who feels sorry for her? The point is that she didn't need to die for her crime at the hands of someone who didn't need to shoot her. Good lord.
Quoting Godgaveme4: And if he had shot her while she was in the home? Would those of you who feel sorry for this criminal feel differently?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)