Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I never thought I'd agree with this guy...

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM
  • 7 Replies
3 moms liked this

I saw this on my Facebook timeline and had to read it 3 times.  Unbelievable.  George Will fell on the right (pun intended) side of an issue!!!!

Fox News Contributor Calls On U.S. To Welcome Immigrant Children

POSTED ON 

Conservative columnist and pundit George Will

Conservative columnist and pundit George Will

CREDIT: AP PHOTO/J. SCOTT APPLEWHITE

Conservative columnist and Fox News contributor George Will has long been anadvocate for immigration reform, including a conservative version of a “path to citizenship” for undocumented immigrants, for some time, but he took his position a bit further Sunday morning on Fox News Sunday. Referring to the influx of unaccompanied children crossing the border from Mexico and other Central American countries — over 52,000 since last October — Will told host Chris Wallace that the United States should welcome these children with open arms.

“We ought to say to these children, ‘Welcome to America, you’re going to go to school and get a job and become Americans,’” Will implored. “We have 3,141 counties in this country. That would be 20 per county. The idea that we can’t assimilate these eight-year-old criminals with their teddy bears is preposterous.”

Wallace warned that detractors will accuse Will of not understanding the issue, but he was undeterred. “We can handle this problem, is what I’m saying,” he reassured. “We’ve handled what Emma Lazarus famously called ‘the wretched refuse of your teeming shores’ a long time ago and a lot more people than this.”

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Color me shocked as well.
littlemum41
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh my ! I agree too. And I'm shocked !!!
Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I didnt even know who he was.big smile mini

AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Good point. This country is made of the cast offs from other countries. We welcome them here and then enjoy watching the supposed refuse flourish when given half a chance. So let's be real Americans and give them the chance
falloutboy
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm pretty torn on this topic. On one hand, yes, they are children and their conditions in their home country aren't ideal. On the other hand, why can't the US spend the money that would go to the immigrants to help these countries instead?
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Because it would mean another war. War with drug cartels and mobs.  If we could get to a point where we aren't just backing the lesser of 2 evils in these countries, it would help.  But our foreign policy has always centered around which group would cause the least amount of trouble and more importantly, which group would serve our interests.  Kind of short sighted and not int he best interest of the countries in question

Quoting falloutboy: I'm pretty torn on this topic. On one hand, yes, they are children and their conditions in their home country aren't ideal. On the other hand, why can't the US spend the money that would go to the immigrants to help these countries instead?

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Twenty years or so ago George Will used to be a relatively well-reasoned journalist who held up high professional standards. This looks a bit like how he used to write before he went off the deep end.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)