Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Court overturns DC handgun law

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:09 AM
  • 60 Replies
1 mom liked this

A federal judge has overturned a Washington, D.C., law preventing people from carrying handguns in public.

Judge Frederick Scullin concluded that current prohibitions are an unconstitutional violation of the Second Amendment right to bear arms, in a win for gun rights advocates. 

Based on previous court rulings striking down gun laws in D.C., Chicago and elsewhere, “there is no longer any basis on which this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia’s total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny,” Scullin wrote in his 19-page decision, which was unsealed on Saturday. 

“Therefore, the Court finds that the District of Columbia’s complete ban on the carrying of handguns in public is unconstitutional.”

The case against D.C., which is the only jurisdiction to ban people from carrying handguns in public, was brought by several people who tried to obtain permits for carrying a weapon but were denied.

Scullin’s ruling in Palmer v. District of Columbia will prevent police from enforcing the law, at least for the time being.

“Congratulations Americans, your capital is not a constitution-free zone,” Second Amendment Foundation lawyer Alan Gura, who argued the case, wrote in a blog post

The ruling comes six years after the Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision overruling D.C.’s total prohibition on owning a handgun, which the high court determined violated the Second Amendment. That decision determined that the Constitution allowed all people, not just society in general, to own a gun.

Read more: http://thehill.com/regulation/other/213447-court-overturns-dc-handgun-law#ixzz38kxjjnaT
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Good
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Good decision!

littlemum41
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Oh my.

Candle, I had no idea you were a gun lover!  DO you carry? In public? Is it concealed or out there for everyone to see how macho you are?

WHat would you need a gun for ? Would you go shopping with one, maybe in a cute little holster? Or would you sling a BIG gun over your back? WHY?

Oh, hey, that's right, you ARE in Texas,right?

That explains it.

........................sigh.

By the way, nobody, I repeat NOBODY wants to take away your guns. It is just that a LOT of people wonder why you need a gun to shop and when eating in a restaurant and we wonder if you need a little..help?  I suggest keeping your artillery and ammo but LOCK IT UP and have enough FAITH  to be able to go out in public unarmed.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I do not carry a gun.

Quoting littlemum41:

Oh my.

Candle, I had no idea you were a gun lover!  DO you carry? In public? Is it concealed or out there for everyone to see how macho you are?

WHat woud you need a gun for ? Would you go shopping with one, maybe in a cute little hoslter?

That explains it.

By the way, noboy, I repeat NOBODY wants to take away your guns. It is just that a LOT of people wonder why you need a gun to shop and when eating in a restaurant and we wonder if you need a little..help?

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this
It is none of your business why someone chooses to carry outside the home. Until you have walked in their shoes, your opinion on what their reasons are is moot.

Quoting littlemum41:

Oh my.

WHat would you need a gun for ? Would you go shopping with one, maybe in a cute little holster? Or would you sling a BIG gun over your back? WHY?

That explains it.

By the way, nobody, I repeat NOBODY wants to take away your guns. It is just that a LOT of people wonder why you need a gun to shop and when eating in a restaurant and we wonder if you need a little..help?  I suggest keeping your artillery and ammo but LOCK IT UP and have enough FAITH  to be able to go out in public unarmed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Two thumbs up to this decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemum41
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM

That's good.

But why are you happy about ths DC law being overturned?  Is it really proper to be carrying in public? I think not.

This has nothing to do with "the gubmint takin'' away yer guns", you know. You can keep your guns. I would be really disturbed to see some one carrying a gun near me at Target or in a restaurant because I would wonder what is wrong with them !!  REALLY !

Quoting candlegal:

I do not carry a gun.

Quoting littlemum41:

Oh my.

WHat woud you need a gun for ? Would you go shopping with one, maybe in a cute little hoslter?

That explains it.

By the way, noboy, I repeat NOBODY wants to take away your guns. It is just that a LOT of people wonder why you need a gun to shop and when eating in a restaurant and we wonder if you need a little..help?

littlemum41
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: Two thumbs up to this decision.

WHY ????

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Contrary to what you think or believe, citizens in this country have every right to arm themselves.

Quoting littlemum41:

WHY ????

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Because I have friends who are private investigators in VA and MD who would always have to either leave their gun behind if they KNEW the they would have to be going into DC on a job OR drop their surveillance altogether (losing the firm money and sometimes the contract) if the person they were hired to watch unexpectedly went into DC.

Quoting littlemum41:

WHY ????

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)