Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This is curious to me....what do you think? Update, not positive :(

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM
  • 44 Replies

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/29/us/florida-plane-accident/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

The 9-year-old girl critically injured when an airplane struck her on a Florida beach last weekend has died, the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday.

simple frown

..."On the same day he died, Ommy Irizarry posted a love message on Facebook to his wife, as they were celebrating their ninth wedding anniversary.

"Thank you for being with me through thick and thin. I love you with all my heart, mi Roma. I am very happy and can't wait to see what the next 100 have in store for us," Irizarry wrote."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/27/us/florida-plane-crash-lands-on-beach/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Tragically, one of the people on the beach died. A father, and his daughter who was also hit by the plane is in critical condition.

I am wondering, how do you not see or hear a plane coming down on you?

Do you think they were plugged into earphones? (ipod etc?) The article said the plane was silent, as if the engine had died. Wouldn't it make some noise??

I am perplexed and curious what others think.

Emergency landing on Florida beach kills beachgoer, injures daughter

By Janet DiGiacomo, CNN
updated 10:09 AM EDT, Mon July 28, 2014
Your video will play in 30 secs

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: Witness: "I didn't hear anything. ... I thought the motor must've went out"
  • Small plane ditches onto Florida beach, killing a man and injuring his daughter
  • The pilot radioed that he was unable to make it back to the airport
  • Daughter, 9, airlifted to hospital

(CNN) -- A Georgia man was killed and his daughter critically injured Sunday when an airplane struck them as they walked along a Florida beach.

Sarasota County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Wendy Rose said Venice Municipal Airport officials reported a plane in distress Sunday afternoon.

The pilot of a 1972 Piper Cherokee radioed that he would be unable to make it back to the airport and that he was instead going to attempt a landing on Caspersen Beach, just to the south.

The plane landed and hit Ommy Irizarry, 36, and his daughter, Oceana, 9, about 2:45 p.m., according to a statement from the Federal Aviation Administration.

Sarasota County Sheriff\'s Office officials look over a plane that hit a father and daughter Sunday on a Florida beach.
Sarasota County Sheriff's Office officials look over a plane that hit a father and daughter Sunday on a Florida beach.

Irizarry died on the scene. His daughter was airlifted to All Children's Hospital and is believed to be in critical condition, according to the sheriff's office.

"The dad looked very bad," witness Zack Arceneaux told CNN affiliate Bay News 9. "They were performing CPR on him. He had blood on his face. It looked like he wasn't breathing at all."

"It's the last thing you'd expect," Arceneaux said to CNN affiliate WTSP. "I didn't hear anything. Actually I thought the motor must've went out. I didn't hear anything. Figured, maybe it ran out of fuel and just hit them and they weren't ready."

The pilot, Karl Kokomoor and his passenger, David Theen, were uninjured. Both are from Englewood, Florida.

The National Transportation Safety Board and the FAA are investigating.

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Coffins with wings. I wish people would stop flying them.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Talk about a freak accident.  I heard that it was pretty gruesome to see.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:09 PM

How incredibly sad.

I would think that I would notice a plane coming towards me.  Even if it came from behind.  Or someone would and perhaps try to warn me.  However, if I was far enough away, it was noisy due to the ocean, or I had headphones on, I may not hear and it would be too late by the time I noticed??

Honestly, however, I can't imagine not noticing something like this.

Apparently it happens.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Background noise of the ocean makes it hard to identify the distance/direction of sounds.  Small plane motors are loud, but not deafening, and the plane is still moving way faster than one would expect.  Also, it's possible to hear the engine and interpret it as something else because the brain can't accept the idea of a plane being about to land.  

What a terrible accident.  

prdmama1154
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:30 PM

:(

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:32 PM

You wouldn't expect it to be landing on the beach. It's possible they hear planes often but none land there

or realized it was too low, too late

Outspoken.Mime
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:33 PM
5 moms liked this

Even if you did hear it, it would probably be moving too fast for you to do much about it.

I doubt the guy and his daughter just decided to stand there and get hit by a plane.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Even if it was silent how the hell do you not see a plane coming straight at your face.

nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM

The ocean is loud.  The engine died, so the plane was essentially gliding and probably didn't make much noise.  If you had your back turned and/or had earbuds in, I can see how it wouldn't be heard.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

ikr...this gots me stumped!

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Even if it was silent how the hell do you not see a plane coming straight at your face.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)