Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Girl Who Vanished for Nine Months Is Very Weak, Malnourished - UPDATE, an arrest has been made

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:55 PM
  • 19 Replies

Girl Who Vanished for Nine Months Is Very Weak, Malnourished

ABCNews
MEGHAN KENEALLY
Monday, July 28, 2014
The family of a teenage girl who disappeared nine months ago before reappearing at her New Hampshire home last week is severely malnourished and not eating solid foods.

"Right now, Abby is resting, extremely tired and in deteriorated health, and has lost a lot of weight. She is working to build her strength back and we hope soon she will be back on solid foods," the family said in a statement that they released on a website they created to help find her.

The 15-year-old has reportedly met with investigators every day since she walked back into her Conway, New Hampshire, home on July 20.

Where Was Missing Teen Abigail Hernandez for the Past 9 Months?

Police have been able to release a sketch of the suspect who they believe drove away with her when she was walking home from school on Oct. 9.

"Abigail described the man as having darkish skin, dark brown eyes, black stubble facial hair, and a large build, who was slightly overweight and slightly taller than she was (5-foot-4")," the New Hampshire Attorney General's office said last week.

She reportedly told investigators that the man was driving a navy blue pick up truck. New Hampshire State Police have released the sketch in hopes of getting more information about this possible suspect.

They have refrained from releasing any further details about the case because the investigation is ongoing, but they have maintained throughout that they believe one or more individuals were responsible for kidnapping and detaining her for nearly a year.

"We have said from the beginning and we continue to believe that this was a 14-year-old girl who went missing in October," Associate Attorney General Jane Young told ABC News. "She was gone for nine months. She didn't have the means to orchestrate and facilitate this on her own."

Abby has been visited by friends since returning home, some of whom have spoken out about her progress.

"Abby is very thin and weak. We continue to work towards getting her to eat," her friend Amanda Smith said on the family's website. "Abby has shown incredible courage thru [sic] this. She is beyond grateful to be home and is just relaxing, resting, trying to get her health back."

UPDATE

Man charged with kidnapping in NH teen's case

Hernandez, 15, returned home nine months after vanishing on her way home from high school.
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
They just arrested a 34 year old guy.
activitymode
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM
That's crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Man charged with kidnapping in NH teen's case

Hernandez, 15, returned home nine months after vanishing on her way home from high school.

BREAKING: NORTH CONWAY, N.H. (AP) — Police are charging a 34-year-old man with kidnapping a New Hampshire teenage girl who returned home recently after vanishing nine months ago.

Authorities say they arrested Nathaniel Kibby without incident at his Gorham home Monday afternoon.

He is charged with felony kidnapping. Police say Kibby knowingly confined Abigail "Abby" Hernandez on Oct. 9, sometime after she left Conway High School.

Kibby will be arraigned Tuesday at Conway District Court.

Attorney General Joseph Foster says there will be a press briefing after the arraignment.

Abby returned to her home sometime the night of July 20.

It was not immediately known if Kibby has a lawyer.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Did she go with him willingly?
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM
They haven't revealed details yet, as far as going willingly, and why at 9 months to bring her home.
Her description and police sketch dont look anything like the guy.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Here he is, CREEPY. They said there may be more arrests

Arrest Made in Abigail Hernandez Case

UPDATE: (July 28, 2014)

Nathaniel E. Kibby, 34, has been arrested and charged with one count of felony kidnapping for "knowingly confining Abigail Hernandez on October 9, 2013, in Conway, New Hampshire, with a purpose to commit an offense against her," according to a release.

Photo: New Hampshire Attorney General's Office

Abigail Hernandez provided police with details of her kidnapping that were sufficient enough to warrant Kibby's arrest. Earlier today, Hernandez released this statement:

"I wish that I could personally thank everyone who looked for me. My gratitude is beyond words. It's an incredible feeling to be home and I believe in my heart that your hopes and prayers played a major role in my release. Thank you all for the welcome home."

Anyone with information regarding Nathaniel E. Kibby and any activity at his residence since October 9, 2013, is urged to contact the New Hampshire State Police at (603) 271-3636, or the Conway Police at (603) 356-5715.

UPDATE (July 21st, 2014):

Abigail Hernandez has been reunited with her family after disappearing nine months ago.

Police and prosecutors are not releasing details on the circumstances of her disappearance due to ongoing investigation.

"Further details will be provided once it has been determined that releasing additional information will not compromise the integrity of the on-going criminal investigation," a press release from the New Hampshire State Police and Attorney General's office said.

According to the release, Zenya Hernandez, Abigail's mother told police that "today we are the happiest people on earth."

The Hernandez Family has requested privacy as they assist the ongoing investigation.

Missing In America: Abigail Hernandez© Conway, NH Police

Abigail Hernandez, 15, disappeared from North Conway, N.H on October 9, 2013.

She was last seen just outside her high school, walking along a power line trail. She texted for about 30 minutes after she was last seen.

Abby, as she is known, sent her mother a letter postmarked several weeks after she disappeared. When the discovery of the letter was announced, FBI special agent Kieran Ramsey said "It was unprecedented. It gave us hope."

"We are concerned for her safety," Ramsey went on. "She is not out there alone. She has somebody who is either helping her, whether that be a friend, or what we fear is a foe."

Please share this poster to keep Abby's story alive, and help bring her safely and quickly home.

Quoting EireLass: They haven't revealed details yet, as far as going willingly, and why at 9 months to bring her home. Her description and police sketch dont look anything like the guy.

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Creepy.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Thank goodness this young girl is home and safe.  I so wish her well in her recovery, and not just the physical aspect.

I am thrilled to hear they have made an arrest.  I hope the investigation goes smoothly and this person, should he be guilty (I obviously think he is) never sees the outside of a prison wall again.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Quoting MeAndTommyLee: Did she go with him willingly?

From what I have read nothing points to that, or away from that, right now.

There are so many unanswered questions here.

I just wish her well and I hope the scum lands his ass in prison.

Of course, this is going on my assumption that she did not go willingly.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM
I on a tablet that isnt friendly, otherwise id do it, but look up a pic of the sketch....then look at the guy. If she was with him for 9 months...shed know what he looks like.
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Here he is, CREEPY. They said there may be more arrests

Arrest Made in Abigail Hernandez Case

UPDATE: (July 28, 2014)

Nathaniel E. Kibby, 34, has been arrested and charged with one count of felony kidnapping for "knowingly confining Abigail Hernandez on October 9, 2013, in Conway, New Hampshire, with a purpose to commit an offense against her," according to a release.

Photo: New Hampshire Attorney General's Office

Abigail Hernandez provided police with details of her kidnapping that were sufficient enough to warrant Kibby's arrest. Earlier today, Hernandez released this statement:

"I wish that I could personally thank everyone who looked for me. My gratitude is beyond words. It's an incredible feeling to be home and I believe in my heart that your hopes and prayers played a major role in my release. Thank you all for the welcome home."

Anyone with information regarding Nathaniel E. Kibby and any activity at his residence since October 9, 2013, is urged to contact the New Hampshire State Police at (603) 271-3636, or the Conway Police at (603) 356-5715.

UPDATE (July 21st, 2014):

Abigail Hernandez has been reunited with her family after disappearing nine months ago.

Police and prosecutors are not releasing details on the circumstances of her disappearance due to ongoing investigation.

"Further details will be provided once it has been determined that releasing additional information will not compromise the integrity of the on-going criminal investigation," a press release from the New Hampshire State Police and Attorney General's office said.

According to the release, Zenya Hernandez, Abigail's mother told police that "today we are the happiest people on earth."

The Hernandez Family has requested privacy as they assist the ongoing investigation.

Missing In America: Abigail Hernandez© Conway, NH Police

Abigail Hernandez, 15, disappeared from North Conway, N.H on October 9, 2013.

She was last seen just outside her high school, walking along a power line trail. She texted for about 30 minutes after she was last seen.

Abby, as she is known, sent her mother a letter postmarked several weeks after she disappeared. When the discovery of the letter was announced, FBI special agent Kieran Ramsey said "It was unprecedented. It gave us hope."

"We are concerned for her safety," Ramsey went on. "She is not out there alone. She has somebody who is either helping her, whether that be a friend, or what we fear is a foe."

Please share this poster to keep Abby's story alive, and help bring her safely and quickly home.

Quoting EireLass: They haven't revealed details yet, as far as going willingly, and why at 9 months to bring her home. Her description and police sketch dont look anything like the guy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN