Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Satanists want to use Hobby Lobby decision to exempt women from anti-abortion laws

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:46 PM
  • 74 Replies

Just saw this on someone's FB wall. Interesting to say the least.

By Scott Kaufman

Monday, July 28, 2014 8:52 EDT

In a statement, the Satanic Temple said that it will use the Supreme Court’s recent Hobby Lobby decision to exempt its believers from state-mandated informed consent laws that require women considering abortions to read pro-life material.

Informed consent or “right to know” laws state that women seeking elective abortions be provided with information about alternatives to the procedure, often couched in language that attempts to personify the fetus. According to the Guttmacher Institute, 35 states currently have informed consent laws, and of those, 33 require that the woman be told the gestational age of the fetus.

In some states, that information consists of pro-life propaganda that links abortion to a higher incidence of breast and ovarian cancers, or discusses “post-abortion syndrome,” a mental condition not recognized by any major medical or psychiatric organization.

Because the Satanic Temple bases its belief “regarding personal health…on the best scientific understanding of the world, regardless of the religious or political beliefs of others,” it claims that state-mandated information with no basis in scientific fact violates its “religious” beliefs.

Spokesperson Lucien Greaves said that the Supreme Court’s recent Hobby Lobby decision bolsters their case. “While we feel we have a strong case for an exemption regardless of the Hobby Lobby ruling,” he said, “the Supreme Court has decided that religious beliefs are so sacrosanct that they can even trump scientific fact. This was made clear when they allowed Hobby Lobby to claim certain contraceptives were abortifacients, which in fact they are not.”

The Satanic Temple set up a website where women seeking an abortion can print out a letter for her healthcare provider explaining why she is exempt from informed consent mandates.

The letter reads that “[a]ll women who share our deeply held belief that their personal choices should be made with access to the best available information, undiluted by biased or false information, are free to seek protection with this exemption whether they are members of the Satanic Temple or not.”

“Life they say, can turn on a dime. And in a world that constantly shifts beneath our feet, the only thing we can know for certain is how we feel, the love we have, the fear we hide from, the pain we push away. Give it a voice, and the rewards are piece of mind and a peaceful heart.”
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure what your point is, but I love that movie and that scene!

911Diva
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM
3 moms liked this
This is stupid to me because pro-life or pro-choice I think everyone should be given all their options before any type of procedure. If I was having heart surgery I would want everything explained to me in detail all the options and the risk why is abortion any different? It is still a medical procedure it does have risk. A women should be given all the medical info so she can make the best choice pro-choicers who are against this just come off as pro-abortion. And they usually tell a women the gestation of the baby because 1. It is illegal to go past a certain time 2. This is also how they charge a women for the abortion. Again I think women should get all the info so they can make a well informed educated choice. I also believe more clinics should make it law that she speak with the abortionist as well so she has the ability to ask any questions she needs to. I would never have heart surgery without first speaking to the doctor who was performing the procedure! If pro-choicers want to call abortion health care they need to start holding it to the standards of healthcare!
hateaway
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:57 PM

oh boy

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this

If that were the case, women would be given details on the procedure and not the gestation or alternatives. That would involve the procedure, the risks, etc., just like any other medical treatment.

Quoting 911Diva: This rediculose to me because pro-life or pro-choice I think everyone should be given all their options before any type of procedure. If I was having heart surgery I would want everything explained to me in detail all the options and the risk why is abortion any different? It is still a medical procedure it does have risk. A women should be given all the medical info so she can make the best choice pro-choicers who are against this just come off as pro-abortion. And they usually tell a women the gestation of the baby because 1. It is illegal to go past a certain time 2. This is also how they charge a women fir the abortion. Again I think women should get all the info so they can make a well informed educated choice.i also believe more clinics should make it law that she speak with the abortionist as well so she has the ability to ask any questions she needs to. I would never have heart surgery without first speaking to the doctor who was performing the procedure! If pro-choicers want to call abortion health care they need to start holding it to the standards of healthcare!

“Life they say, can turn on a dime. And in a world that constantly shifts beneath our feet, the only thing we can know for certain is how we feel, the love we have, the fear we hide from, the pain we push away. Give it a voice, and the rewards are piece of mind and a peaceful heart.”
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 4:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Gestational age can be determined by the doctor based off of last menstrual period and there is no medical need to inform the patient of that. Real actual medical risks can be and are discussed but not made up risks like post abortion syndrome or the link to breast cancer.

Quoting 911Diva: This rediculose to me because pro-life or pro-choice I think everyone should be given all their options before any type of procedure. If I was having heart surgery I would want everything explained to me in detail all the options and the risk why is abortion any different? It is still a medical procedure it does have risk. A women should be given all the medical info so she can make the best choice pro-choicers who are against this just come off as pro-abortion. And they usually tell a women the gestation of the baby because 1. It is illegal to go past a certain time 2. This is also how they charge a women fir the abortion. Again I think women should get all the info so they can make a well informed educated choice.i also believe more clinics should make it law that she speak with the abortionist as well so she has the ability to ask any questions she needs to. I would never have heart surgery without first speaking to the doctor who was performing the procedure! If pro-choicers want to call abortion health care they need to start holding it to the standards of healthcare!
911Diva
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM
With any other medical procedure you would meet with your doctor several times before hand. You would go over all your options for treatment what it would mean to have surgery not to have surgery ect. So in the case of an unwanted pregnancy info should be provided on abortion, and parenting as well as adoption all are real options for a women. Why wouldn't you want a women to have all the medical facts about her body and the state of her babies body before making an informed choice. She should have every fact presented to her then she can decide if that choice is abortion so be at but at least she can walk away not feeling lied to or taken advantage of.

Quoting Elkamelka:

If that were the case, women would be given details on the procedure and not the gestation or alternatives. That would involve the procedure, the risks, etc., just like any other medical treatment.

911Diva
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM
That is false an ultrasound is performed on every women before an abortion. They can find out lots of information from that ultrasound all of it should be shared with the women as she is the patient and paying customer she has a right to medical info. And all risk should be talked about I think info for counseling and support groups should be given no not every women gets depressed but some do and they might need help after their abortion.

Quoting jessilin0113: Gestational age can be determined by the doctor based off of last menstrual period and there is no medical need to inform the patient of that. Real actual medical risks can be and are discussed but not made up risks like post abortion syndrome or the link to breast cancer.

tattedmommy730
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:56 PM
4 moms liked this
If they are going to provide the women with info to sway their decision it should be scientific and un biased.
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Women have the right to know. They also have the right NOT to know if it's not medically necessary. Some of these things they want doctors to say are not medically necessary and only serve as an emotional sucker punch.

Quoting 911Diva: That is false an ultrasound is performed on every women before an abortion. They can find out lots of information from that ultrasound all of it should be shared with the women as she is the patient and paying customer she has a right to medical info. And all risk should be talked about I think info for counseling and support groups should be given no not every women gets depressed but some do and they might need help after their abortion.

Quoting jessilin0113: Gestational age can be determined by the doctor based off of last menstrual period and there is no medical need to inform the patient of that. Real actual medical risks can be and are discussed but not made up risks like post abortion syndrome or the link to breast cancer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)