Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

We Close at 5:00, Ya'll. Not 5:30.

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM
  • 65 Replies
2 moms liked this
Posted business hours are just that..hours of business, not a suggestion.

Anyone else find it maddening when someone is banging on your locked door demanding service after closing? Are you one of the perpetrators? What has happened to basic manners and courtesy?

Thoughts?
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM
I used to work at a local supermarket. We closed at 11pm, that meant we locked the doors at 11. So someone could walk in at 10:59 and spend 10-15 minutes shopping. But we scheduled a closer who stayed until 11:15, or even 11:30. If there was no one there we could leave at 11 if we wanted.

There have been times I've checked the door at a place if I'm not familiar with their closing time, but I'd never expect them to let me in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:58 PM

When I worked at the supermarket the only day I closed was on Sundays. We closed at 5. We locked the "In" doors at 5 and people would try to come in the "Out" door. We would have several of the larger bag/stockroom boys stand at the "Out" doors to keep them out.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:26 AM
6 moms liked this

I don't know what business you are in but in my neck of the woods, if places open to the public don't stay open past 5, they don't survive. 

Makes sense when you figure most people work until 5 or 6.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I work in a bank. When we have someone knock just as we closed we will let them in. 5 mins after nope.  I think for most shit happens accidently and for some no. We have a customer that would come in 2min before we closed on purpose and would stay so he was always our last customer. It pissed me off

Gamer_mom1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Slightly not really exactly what you're talkin about but I hate it when there's some snotty ass teenage employees who just laugh and ignore you because they're closed

Damn you Taco Bell teen snobs. I wasn't going to make you make a precious taco. I was about to wet myself
Gamer_mom1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:10 AM
There was one guy we liked to call beetle juice at my last job. We called him that because he seemed to show up when we'd talk about him

He was one oft hose I think that liked to power trip of being a customer vs a retail employee. He knew damn well when he closed and he did it a lot more when there were new employees, but he'd come an hour after closing and want something stupid like once a sub sandwich because we were out on the shelves and no I didn't fuckin make one

Or he'd come wanting us to open up our already clean slicers to get him meat. And he'd always get a manager when we'd tell him we were closed and gloat "see you could have been done already" when the manager sides with him

Then I went to game stop one day and he walked in. I guess some halo game was getting released at midnight that night and he'd gotten a notification about it. I think he knew darn well it wasn't released yet because it wasn't midnight yet but he went in and harassed the employees anyway and said he was gonna call the higher ups and that eventually someone would do something for him if he went high enough

I offered to call and counter his complaint but I don't think they were worried. I let them know he pulls that shot everywhere he goes
nerdmom2twins
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I get people at the rec center where I work who also have an issue with this.  Though it is more along the lines of they don't want to leave.  I HAVE to clock out at 9pm.  I can not work after I have clocked out. So the place has to be cleared at 9.  At least once a month I have someone who says "Oh but I only have ____ left on my run" on the indoor track or "Just let me get a few more reps." 

No, it is 9pm.  We are closed, and you have to go.  You'd be amazed how people pitch a fit because I won't make an exception to the rule for them. 

diaperstodating
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Do you live in the South?
4music
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Even better, they come in 3 minutes before closing, acknowledge that you're about to close (usually with a chuckle), then mill about for half an hour.  Sometimes I hate owning a business.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:16 AM

We get it all the time.

Often times we ignore them but once in a while we will point to the sign, that is huge, in their face, that displays the hours.

They usually huff and puff and walk away.  I think that is their way of trying not to admit how wrong and idiotic they were.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN