Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Orthodox Jews with herpes need to stop applying ‘direct oral suction’ to baby penises

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:52 PM
  • 13 Replies

By Scott Kaufman
Monday, July 28, 2014 14:05 EDT

crying newborn baby on shutterstock

Two New York City infants were diagnosed with herpes after undergoing a traditional Orthodox Jewish circumcision, NBC4 reports.

According to the Health Department, both babies developed lesions on their genitals shortly after having the metzitzah b’peh, a practice in which the mohel — a person trained to perform the “covenant of circumcision” — uses a direct oral suction technique to swab blood from the infant’s penis, was performed on them.

More than half of all adults carry the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) , according to Brian F. Leas, a research analyst in the Center for Evidence-based Practice at the University of Pennsylvania Health System. But the symptoms that present in those adults are oral lesions, or cold sores, and not life-threatening. In infants, however, HSV-1 can cause high fever and seizures — and in two cases since 1998, even death.

After a 2012 HSV-1 outbreak, the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene attempted to regulate the practice, requiring mohels to obtain written parental consent before using the metzitzah b’peh technique during the circumcision.

Leas and his fellow researchers were unable to identify how many times the metzitzah b’peh was used in circumcisions, but noted that “there is sufficient clinical evidence to suggest the practice is a source of infection and therefore a risk exists—though the extent or magnitude of that risk is not well defined and warrants further investigation.”

http://www.rawstory.com/...

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Child abuse, with or without the herpes.

activitymode
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not Jewish and don't pretend to know anything about the religion but having said that, wtf? Why would you ever let a grown man put his mouth on your sons genitals?

That in itself is disgusting seeing how we've had modern tools for say at least a 100 years?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PlumbersWife344
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM

horrible

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Just an FYI, this is NOT how most circumcisions are performed. This is done by a smaller sect of very religious Jews (and don't mistake my explanation as condoning it because I do not). By comparison, it would be like judging all Christians by the sect that uses poisonous snakes in their sermons.

Quoting activitymode: I'm not Jewish and don't pretend to know anything about the religion but having said that, wtf? Why would you ever let a grown man put his mouth on your sons genitals?

That in itself is disgusting seeing how we've had modern tools for say at least a 100 years?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
activitymode
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:10 AM
I see. Thanks for explaining it and I understand it a lot better. Not the act itself (ew) but that it's not a general practice among Jews.

Quoting coolmommy2x: Just an FYI, this is NOT how most circumcisions are performed. This is done by a smaller sect of very religious Jews (and don't mistake my explanation as condoning it because I do not). By comparison, it would be like judging all Christians by the sect that uses poisonous snakes in their sermons.

Quoting activitymode: I'm not Jewish and don't pretend to know anything about the religion but having said that, wtf? Why would you ever let a grown man put his mouth on your sons genitals?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:12 AM
I heard about this some time ago, are they still doing it?
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Glad I could help. DS's circ was nothing what is described here.

Quoting activitymode: I see. Thanks for explaining it and I understand it a lot better. Not the act itself (ew) but that it's not a general practice among Jews.

Quoting coolmommy2x: Just an FYI, this is NOT how most circumcisions are performed. This is done by a smaller sect of very religious Jews (and don't mistake my explanation as condoning it because I do not). By comparison, it would be like judging all Christians by the sect that uses poisonous snakes in their sermons.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I've responded on this matter before. Only ultra Orthodox Hasidic Jews practice a Metzitzah B'Peh, oral suction. Hasidic Jews are very isolated to other communities, including non Hasidic Jews. This method has been under fire for a little while now because of the spread of herpes. This is also an ancient practice. Both of my boys had a bris and the mohel used a glass pipette to draw the blood for the circumcision. I hadn't even heard of oral suction until an article came out about this last year and I've been to more bris than I care to recall. None of them were Metzizah B'Peh. 

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 29, 2014 at 3:23 AM

There is only a very small population who still practice this. 

sickofdrama
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I'm going to scream!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)