Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Christian Band Faked Their Faith in God for Record Sales

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:00 PM
  • 31 Replies

After being sentenced to prison for six years, Tim Lambesis, frontman of Christian rock band As I Lay Dying, said in a lengthy interview how his band and many others faked their faith in God for record selling purposes. Lambesis was arrested and convicted for attempting to hire a hitman so he could have his estranged wife murdered.

During his interview with Alternative Press, Lambesis spoke of his marriage disintegrating to a point where he wanted his wife dead, before revealing how he along with his band members lost their Christian faith while continuing to sell records as a Christian rock band. When the interviewer Ryan Downey referred to a recent video posted by Lambesis, in which his revelations about the song Pyrithion led a lot of his fans to think he had become satanic, the singer dismissed the idea saying he is very much Christian.

However, Downey probed Lambesis to know whether he was lying by omission because he needs to live up to a public image and that is when the singer said, “Yes. If you say… A lot of Christian parents said, ‘Yes, you can buy this As I Lay Dying CD because they’re a Christian band.’ They don't even think to actually check the lyrics. So when you change your views, you kind of owe it to the fans to be honest.”

In the interview, Lambesis confessed about struggling to keep his faith because he was afraid that admitting otherwise would affect the band’s record sales.

“I was afraid it would affect As I Lay Dying sales, which would affect my overall income. I was trying to put out the fire by saying the easiest thing, ‘I’m not a Satanist!’ Truthfully, I was an atheist,” he said.

He also said he wasn’t the first one to lose faith as two of his band members had already reached that conclusion before him. Despite him adopting a strategy that he thinks was cowardly, Lambesis explained that it is not an uncommon practice in the Christian music industry. According to him, most Christian bands are actually only presenting themselves as faithful so they can continue getting gigs regularly.

“We toured with more 'Christian bands' who actually aren't Christians than bands that are. In 12 years of touring with As I Lay Dying, I would say maybe one in 10 Christian bands we toured with were actually Christian bands… We talked about whether to keep taking money from the ‘Christian market,’” he said.

However, once all the band members lost their faith, the pretence seemed to become more and more uncomfortable, according to Lambesis. When children wanted to pray with them after a concert, the band members would stand aside and let the fans pray, saying only an Amen along with them in the end.

“If praying while I have my hand on their shoulder makes them feel better, I didn't want to take that away from them…. When they would specifically ask me to pray for something, I’d say, ‘I don't really like to pray out loud, but I’ll take that with me to the bus,’” he said.

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/tim_lambesis_world_exclusive_interview_as_i_lay_dying_singer_breaks_silence/P1

by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the reason religion was created. Greed..

3xangel
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:02 PM
I'm not surprised...
PlumbersWife344
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Its called Christianity
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Sad and pathetic.

Jesus said the wheat and the tares would be growing together - as well as the sheep and the goats be together., to use another metaphor, until the day He separates them.

So, you will know them by their fruits. If a Christian band is putting out anti-Christian lyrics, a wise listener would pick up on that discrepancy. And, of course, a wise parent, wife, manager or someone who knows the band member.

Maybe this mess could have been stopped if anyone had paid attention to the spiral in this guy''s life.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:55 AM

According to the latest poll of people in church leadership positions (ie priests, ministers, pastors, etc), 1 in 6 of them don't believe in God.

So why should it be a surprise if the same applies to Christian bands, or other Christian businesses?

D-Town
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:40 AM

Most religious people, Christian and non-christian, at some point struggle with their faith. It isn't just the masses that face that struggle either. Pastor, priests, even saints have struggled with their faith. it is the nature of faith to sometimes falter in your conviction. For some, that struggle ultimately winds up making their faith stronger. For others, they lose faith completely. 

I don't find anything hypocritical or even wrong with what he said. Good. He's a human being just like everyone else on the planet. I'm happy to see someone charged with leading admitting to their struggles. I would be more concerned if he had said he never had to struggle with faith. Because then he either has mental issues, is lying or is an alien in human disguise. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:29 AM
4 moms liked this

Wait....a rock star with a fake persona? Shocker.

I do not think this has anything to do with religion.  Like almost every single celebrity, they found a market where they could make money.

mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:34 AM
I don't listen to them anyway.
I think their music kind of sucks besides the guitar.
Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly I think there are very few true Christians. Most just say they are and don't actually try to follow the actual teachings. This doesn't surprise me at all
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Says he.

I don't listen to Christian music very often.  I liken much of it to sappy pop music; I don't listen to that either.

I feel horrible for this guy.  Sounds like a shallow faith to begin with

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN