Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"Provocation” that leads to Domestic Violence Incidents

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:04 PM
  • 109 Replies

Ok, sure.  He apologized.  After he was suspended...  But what would you say to your brother, husband, male friend, family, or co-worker who said this out loud? 

(CBS) ESPN personality Stephen A. Smith has been suspended for one week from “First Take” and ESPN Radio following his insensitive comments about domestic violence.

Stephan-Smith-ESPN-suspension

In discussing the Ray Rice domestic abuse case last Friday on First Take, Smith implied that the focus should be shifted to include the “provocation” that leads to such incidents. It created a firestorm of criticism, including from colleague Michelle Beadle.

Smith called it “the most egregious error” of his career. He added that in no way did he mean to imply that such incidents are a woman’s fault.

Haven't TV personalities been fired for saying LESS than this? 

by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Hopefully the outcry will be loud enough that he wont be back at the end of his suspension..

The only provocation would be my foot in his ass..

jcrew6
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:23 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't personally know of one man in my life who would EVER make such a statement.

But, this man?  On national tv?  The word PROVOCATION insinuates the woman instigated something.  So, for this asshat to say, " no way did he mean to imply that such incidents are a woman’s fault."

I call bullshit.  

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM
5 moms liked this

it's not often I agree with you, Jcrew, but I do completely in this matter. 

and these are HUGE guys that can really do some damage, there are few women who wouldn't ge entirely outmatched by a pro linebacker. 

Quoting jcrew6:

I don't personally know of one man in my life who would EVER make such a statement.

But, this man?  On national tv?  The word PROVOCATION insinuates the woman instigated something.  So, for this asshat to say, " no way did he mean to imply that such incidents are a woman’s fault."

I call bullshit.  

jcrew6
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:32 PM
3 moms liked this

Damn.  I don't know whether to buy a lottery ticket or prepare to be hit by lightening...  We agree! ;)

Quoting autodidact:

it's not often I agree with you, Jcrew, but I do completely in this matter. 

and these are HUGE guys that can really do some damaged, there are few women who wouldn't ge entirely outmatched by a pro linebacker. 

Quoting jcrew6:

I call bullshit.  

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:33 PM

What would I say to my brother, father, husband?   Well after picking my jaw up off the floor I would probably respond snidely.  

"so then following that logic I'd be perfectly justified to kick you in the balls because you said such an asinine thing"  

I can't imagine any of them every saying such a thing and certainly wouldn't say it where I could hear them as was a victim of DV in my first marriage and the damage done was long lasting and life changing.  

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Yes I think people have been fired for saying less.

PerseyG
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:49 PM
There is a reason why men are held to stiffer legal culpability when it comes to physical assault. Men can KILL women with one hit. pounds of pressure per sq inches vastly differ between men and women in general.

Its like when one has a black belt in karate...a bar fight can mean automatic jail time. why? because their hands and feet are lethal weapons.

Ray Rice was in the wrong and so was this sports douche.
ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't agree very often but you are spot on with this.

Quoting jcrew6:

I call bullshit.  

Kaya529
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM
6 moms liked this
I'm kind of curious what he meant by provocation.

If he meant because she back talked him or was argumentative than he is a douche who deserves to be fired. If he meant when they are wailing on him or beating him with a bat than I agree with the statement. We do need to talk about that.
sophiasmommy27
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:06 PM
This.

Quoting Kaya529: I'm kind of curious what he meant by provocation.

If he meant because she back talked him or was argumentative than he is a douche who deserves to be fired. If he meant when they are wailing on him or beating him with a bat than I agree with the statement. We do need to talk about that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)