Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did...

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM
TC
  • 24 Replies

I know I've been MIA and/or sporadically on-line, but when did it become OK to just not back-up your (general) assertions with sources?

I've seen multiple posters, when asked for sources for facts, tell someone to "google" it.  

What is the point of your (general) discussion at that point?  

I'm not talking about people who never respond, we have to assume the life out-side the internet happens every now and then.  ;-)

~"Free the child's potential, and you will transform both the child and the world."

Dr. Maria Montessori~

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:10 PM
3 moms liked this
It's not OK. But we assess based on sources. If it isn't backed up, we afford it the weight it deserves.
latashac
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Well generally if something is common knowledge or common sense, I tell people to google something so they can get some info on that particular subject. Also, I think many people don't because someone always questions the sources credibility(too liberal or too conservative). It is annoying when you provide proof and people still won't accept it.

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree.  If a poster is unwilling to back up her argument with credible sources I just chalk it up as another unsubstantiated rant. 

numbr1wmn
by Lina on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I also love when someone uses a source they insult it because you don't like it, instead of proving them wrong.

Momniscient
by Obama licker on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM
3 moms liked this
It's perfectly ok to rant and not have any substantial claim to prove your opinion.

I just then dismiss your opinion as silly.
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

and you can't google "the reasons the person I'm arguing with thinks Obama should be impeached" yet that's what I've been told on several occasions. 

Momniscient
by Obama licker on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Lol.
Come to think of it... So have I.

Quoting autodidact:

and you can't google "the reasons the person I'm arguing with thinks Obama should be impeached" yet that's what I've been told on several occasions. 

PPCLC
by Lisa on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I think it applies to some instances--the need for Internet back-up. The thing is, some of that back-up can easily be a source that holds no true validity nor credibility thus, why there's a problem getting those that do to bring out their source into the great wide open. ;)

Then there's the whole we're here to debate opinion aspect. I try to "cite my source" when I can but more times than not, I don't think it's too great of a hardship for those who oppose me to simply tab their browser and Google either.

We're not changing lives here. We're only discussing and debating.

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Sometimes I'm too lazy to go and look it up again....

We're never going to convince anyone of anything anyway....
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM

off topic, but I love your avatar, TC

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)