Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jesse Ventura wins $1.8 million in damages against Chris Kyle, slain Navy SEAL sniper

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:00 PM
KK
  • 31 Replies

Jesse Ventura wins $1.8 million in damages against Chris Kyle, slain Navy SEAL sniper

July 29

A jury in Minnesota awarded $1.845 million in damages Tuesday to former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura, deciding that he was defamed by the late Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle who said he punched Ventura out in a bar in 2006 after the former governor said the SEALs “deserved to lose a few” in war.

The news emerged after six days of deliberations in St. Paul, Minn. The award includes $500,000 in defamation damages and $1.345 million for “unjust enrichment,” according to the Star-Tribune of Minnesota. “Unjust enrichment” is typically awarded in cases in which the court finds that one person has unjustly or by chance made money at the expense of another, requiring restitution.

As outlined in this Checkpoint post, the case got its start when Ventura sued Kyle, who is billed as having the most confirmed kills by a sniper in U.S. military history. Kyle wrote in his 2012 book, “American Sniper,” that he punched out a celebrity while mourning the death of Navy SEAL and future Medal of Honor recipient, Master at Arms 2nd Class Michael Monsoor.

Kyle did not identify Ventura by name in the book, but said that he swung at the individual after he “started running his mouth about the war and everything and anything he could connect to it.” That included President George W. Bush and deployed SEALs, who “were doing the wrong thing, killing men and women and children and murdering,” the man said, according to Kyle’s book. Ventura said the whole episode was fabricated.

Kyle, who was shot to death in 2013 in Texas, alleged that he tried to get the man — identified only as “Mr. Scruff Face” — to keep it down, and he responded by saying the SEALs in the bar “deserve to a lose a few.” The man eventually took a swing at him, Kyle alleged, and all hell broke loose.

“Being level-headed and calm can last only so long,” Kyle said in his book. “I laid him out. Tables flew. Stuff happened. Scruff Face ended up on the floor.”

Kyle later said in media interviews while promoting his book that “Scruff Face” was Ventura, who served in the Navy’s Underwater Demolition Teams during the Vietnam War era. The first SEAL teams were created from UDT personnel in the 1960s, with the remaining UDT units redesignated as SEAL Delivery Vehicle Teams in the 1980s.

Legal experts had anticipated that it would be a tough case for Ventura to win. But the jury found in his favor 8-2, media reports said. Ventura’s lawyer, David B. Olsen told reporters after the verdict was read that there were no winners in the case.

“We don’t know what others may think, but certainly with this generation of young SEALs, we don’t know that his reputation can ever be repaired,” Olsen said, according to media reports.

UPDATE: July 29, 4:35 p.m.: Reaction on Twitter to the news is extremely emotional, especially from those reflecting on the sadness of Kyle’s widow, Taya, being forced to pay damages to Ventura.  

visit link for examples  http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2014/07/29/jesse-ventura-wins-1-8-million-in-damages-against-chris-kyle-slain-navy-seal-sniper/

-----

Should Ventura have dropped his suit after Kyle's death?  Or the fact that his lies will live on in his book be reason enough for Ventura to continue the suit?  

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm thinking it was a dick move on Ventura's part. What that guy did was wrong but doesn't the suit clear Ventura's name? I wouldn't make a widow pay. Just seems wrong.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:09 PM

the jury awarded the damages.  He could certainly not seek payment.  

Quoting ashellbell:

I'm thinking it was a dick move on Ventura's part. What that guy did was wrong but doesn't the suit clear Ventura's name? I wouldn't make a widow pay. Just seems wrong.

Della529
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I'm still flabbergasted by that ridiculous book.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Makes me wonder what else he lied about in it.

Quoting Della529:

I'm still flabbergasted by that ridiculous book.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I hope that's the route he takes. Just seems skeevy.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Quoting ashellbell:

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:18 PM
I don't know anything about the book, but is it for sure a lie??
Della529
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:21 PM
3 moms liked this

He wrote a ridiculous book which conservatives flocked to like it was the bible and he was the Messiah.

The jury heard the case and made its decision.  The income from the book can pay for it.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Quoting ashellbell:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:23 PM

there's no doubt the deceased was a liar and pretty much an all around asshole, but it's been proven that he's lied. Does the money really make up for that?

Quoting Della529:

He wrote a ridiculous book which conservatives flocked to like it was the bible and he was the Messiah.

The jury heard the case and made its decision.  The income from the book can pay for it.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Quoting ashellbell:

Della529
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Probably not. But don't write books with lies and this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm sorry for his wife.  She'll just have to get along like the rest of the single moms in this country.

Quoting ashellbell:

there's no doubt the deceased was a liar and pretty much an all around asshole, but it's been proven that he's lied. Does the money really make up for that?

Quoting Della529:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Quoting ashellbell:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I guess that's what I'm looking at. Maybe it's a bit hypocritical of me, if he were alive I'd definitely agree with it. It would still take away from his family so I suppose his dead status doesn't really change it.

Quoting Della529:

Probably not. But don't write books with lies and this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm sorry for his wife.  She'll just have to get along like the rest of the single moms in this country.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Della529:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Quoting ashellbell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)