Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Not just someone that is rich enough to afford the process, or lucky enough to win a lottery.

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:35 AM
  • 17 Replies

Washington Marijuana Store Closes To Protest Price Gouging By Growers

Johnny Green

washington state medical marijuana raidsLegal marijuana sales started in Washington on July 7th. Supply shortages resulted in high prices and long lines. A marijuana store in Vancouver, Main Street Marijuana, closed temporarily this week. The closure is not due to supply shortages, which has temporarily closed at least one other marijuana store in Washington. Main Street Marijuana temporarily closed it’s doors due to poor product quality and price gouging by licensed marijuana growers in Washington. Per The Columbian:

When the Main Street Marijuana manager saw what came in a shipment of material from a new grower this week, he decided to close until he can secure more variety, lower prices and better quality stock, he said.

“I’m not going to let these guys hold us hostage anymore,” Hamide said of a handful of growers that he says have been selling bad product for high prices. “It’s hurting the entire system, and it needs to stop. By continuing to play ball with these guys, it’s just making things worse.”

The store will likely remain closed through the weekend and could stay that way well into next week, Hamide said.

This scenario highlights a problem with the marijuana industry that I have been pointing out for months now. Just because someone is qualified to get a marijuana growers license does not mean that they are a capable marijuana grower. In states that require huge sums of money to obtain, or even apply for, a marijuana growers license I’d imagine this problem will come up again. Application processes need to do a better job of selecting someone who is good at what they do, not just someone that is rich enough to afford the process, or lucky enough to win a lottery.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Shrug

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Gosh,   why oh why isn't the government making more effort to  assure the potheads have "more variety,   lower prices,   and better quality"?    lol       If people are willing to buy crap for high prices,    that's what they'll get.   

furbabymum
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I suppose since I'm not really in to MJ this doesn't really bother me. However, there are many other issues that have come up with legalization. The test states are getting a lot of headaches. As far as licensing of growers, sticky imo. I'm not sure how they could go about that better. I know my DH has brought up growing as a cash crop for our land. It's not legal in our state so I know he's just funsing but it does grow here and we have the land and time to devote to appropriate growth. So they really need to attract regular old farmers imo.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this

IMO the last thing we need are regular old farmers moving away from food growth to cater to potheads. 

Quoting furbabymum:

I suppose since I'm not really in to MJ this doesn't really bother me. However, there are many other issues that have come up with legalization. The test states are getting a lot of headaches. As far as licensing of growers, sticky imo. I'm not sure how they could go about that better. I know my DH has brought up growing as a cash crop for our land. It's not legal in our state so I know he's just funsing but it does grow here and we have the land and time to devote to appropriate growth. So they really need to attract regular old farmers imo.

PPCLC
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Welcome to the world, mj business owners. Sit down and find out just how much "price gouging" exists for MANY private business owners.

This was bound to happen.

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:59 AM
The growers will just sell it illegally on the streets.
furbabymum
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I drive past 1k acres every day that is plowed but never planted. They keep it plowed so the gov will pay for them not to plant it. They could easily grow MJ.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

IMO the last thing we need are regular old farmers moving away from food growth to cater to potheads. 

Quoting furbabymum:

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:27 AM

If it's not a health issue this should be addressed by the industry not the government. 

The industry should establish quality standards with "seal of approval" or "member of XYZ" etc. so that sellers and consumers can choose based on the quality they want.      A seller who wants to sell a better product now can't really compete or advertise based on that if there's no process to define what that means to the consumer.  

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup,   the most "gouged" product of all is probably an IPAD.    

Quoting PPCLC:

Welcome to the world, mj business owners. Sit down and find out just how much "price gouging" exists for MANY private business owners.

PPCLC
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I'm also looking more at the small business owner and what they deal with from suppliers.

My parent's owned a small interior decorating/drapery franchise here in AZ for over 20 years and dealt with so many headaches from their suppliers of everything from fabric to wood (to make curtain rods which my late dad did by hand), etc. and there was considerable gouging in those prices.

Anyone who ever believed that owning a small business is meant to be easy needs to really research and do some soul searching, too, to make sure they're aware of what they're about to get into.

Quoting MelanieJK:

Yup,   the most "gouged" product of all is probably an IPAD.    

Quoting PPCLC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN