Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher forces child to sit on floor for weeks.

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:47 PM
  • 52 Replies

What would you do if you felt a teacher was being overly harsh over a situation with your child?

A 1st grade got in trouble for writing on her desk. Had to clean it and apologize to janitor and have a conversation with principal, BUT the teacher took it one step further and forced her to sit on the floor and use a clip board for a couple of weeks.

I myself in a similar situation. My son would make odd statements that his teacher was mean. As mom, i tuned it out. It went on and off for all of 4th grade. Report card was good, and conferences went well,  Finally in May I HEARD him started getting concerned. I verified his story with friends, and called another parent who was being treated the same way.

TURNS OUT teacher singled out 4 boys (class clown group i guess) and would rip into them a couple of times a week for small things/mistakes they made and would not let up until she had them in tears in front of the class. We reported this and and the principal was suppose to do an investigation and found out he got a promotion to another school and she had planned on retiring any way so nothing was done.

That was one of the first things that turned me to home schooling years later.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/31/spring-branch-isd-desk_n_5638986.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000020&ir=Education

by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vamaria
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I read about this. So sad.

PerseyG
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM
4 moms liked this
I bet she won't deface school property anymore.

I'm old school...I honestly think that knuckle-smacking with a ruler should come back in vogue.

School is not a place for kids to "express themselves" or "develop self-esteem" or other such dopey hippy dippy nonsense. It's to learn facts and comprehension skills and and coping skills for the very unfair world of adulthood.

Kids can't learn facts if they are too busy..defacing school property. You draw crap all over your desk instead of paying attention, your little heiny can sit on the floor until you understand why you are in that position and how to avoid it in the future.

The problem is almost never the teacher and almost always the PARENTS. How about you teach your kid not to draw on inappropriate surfaces?

I wonder what the walls and tables of this kid's house looks like.
mcclouds66
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I am a teacher and I agree with you to a point. Depending on how bad it was it would be appropriate to have her sit on the floor for a day or so to make a point, or maybe sit in a chair with a clip board.??? Over 2 weeks seem a bit over kill. If a child has struggles then self esteem building is a team effort between home and school. I have mixed opinions about expressing themselves as I believe in strict school uniforms. Expressing should be saved for art class and not name brand clothing, really weird hair and tattoos under 18. Save for college

Quoting PerseyG: I bet she won't deface school property anymore. I'm old school...I honestly think that knuckle-smacking with a ruler should come back in vogue. School is not a place for kids to "express themselves" or "develop self-esteem" or other such dopey hippy dippy nonsense. It's to learn facts and comprehension skills and and coping skills for the very unfair world of adulthood. Kids can't learn facts if they are too busy..defacing school property. You draw crap all over your desk instead of paying attention, your little heiny can sit on the floor until you understand why you are in that position and how to avoid it in the future. The problem is almost never the teacher and almost always the PARENTS. How about you teach your kid not to draw on inappropriate surfaces? I wonder what the walls and tables of this kid's house looks like.

latashac
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:10 AM
5 moms liked this

Kids are already learning too early that it is ok to bully people. They are vicious, and if we don't want them to think its ok, then why would we want teachers who bring them to tears in front of a room full of their peers?? I think they should be punished accordingly for vandalizing school property but I would go up one side and down another of any teacher who did that to my kids.

supermonstermom
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:10 AM

She was a first grade little girl who drew on her desk, and then was made to sit on the floor for two weeks.

Quote:

The mother said the Spring Branch Independent School District told her that her daughter’s punishment consisted of going to the principal’s office, apologizing to the janitor and cleaning the vandalized desk; but she said the family did not learn about the continuing punishment until weeks later, when her daughter came home and revealed that she had been sitting on the floor and writing on a clipboard instead of a desk.

Schools solution?  "reprimand" the teacher and villify the parent.  Seems the school was ok with what the teacher did.

We as parents need to much more aware of who in charge of our children at school.  

supermonstermom
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:12 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting PerseyG: I bet she won't deface school property anymore. I'm old school...I honestly think that knuckle-smacking with a ruler should come back in vogue. School is not a place for kids to "express themselves" or "develop self-esteem" or other such dopey hippy dippy nonsense. It's to learn facts and comprehension skills and and coping skills for the very unfair world of adulthood. Kids can't learn facts if they are too busy..defacing school property. You draw crap all over your desk instead of paying attention, your little heiny can sit on the floor until you understand why you are in that position and how to avoid it in the future. The problem is almost never the teacher and almost always the PARENTS. How about you teach your kid not to draw on inappropriate surfaces? I wonder what the walls and tables of this kid's house looks like.

She is in first grade.. six years old.

Writing, "I will not write on my desk because it is against the rules."  100 times would be old school, and appropriate.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:31 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree kids should be disciplined for such behavior. I also agree school is for school. That being said we don't have to use discipline to demean, degrade or put down a child. Sure they need to learn self discipline and all that. Their is a difference between discipline that teaches and punishment that turns into revenge because a teacher was mad.

You can disclipline a child, old school without demeaning them. I am a believer that self esteem and self expression to a point is good for learning but it MUST be balanced.  You can go too far either direction.  Sitting on the floor for a day or so is fine, but 2 weeks goes beyond what was needed or beneficial.

She is not a grown up or an adult. She is a 6 year old child. Carrying a consequence on for that long after she has already been disciplined by having to clean it, say sorry and sit on the floor is counter productive. It would not induce learning. I expect my children to behave in school and they would be having consequences at home and they'd be writing a letter of apology to the teacher and janitor, etc as well. I believe in discipline that teaches not punishment that is used to demean. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I think it was excessive

EarlGrayHot
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I would verify what happened first before jumping to conclusions.  What would be the point of supposedlt humiliating four boys?  That sounds to me like the parents who want to whine about their little boys being mistreated because everyone is prejudiced in favor of girls.  The old boys will be boys crowd who think their little boys should be able to do whatever they want.  Again, proof, not hearsay is what I want to see.

Mommaofbrx
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I think you're being a little too harsh. Yes it depends on the parent raises the child but to some point kids will be kids. They're always trying to get kids to grow up faster than usual. With my son I am firm with him when it comes to disciplining but if I heard of this going on in school with my son I'd be furious. Leave the disciplining to the parents when its something that small. In other cases I would say other wise but with something that small no!

Quoting PerseyG: I bet she won't deface school property anymore.

I'm old school...I honestly think that knuckle-smacking with a ruler should come back in vogue.

School is not a place for kids to "express themselves" or "develop self-esteem" or other such dopey hippy dippy nonsense. It's to learn facts and comprehension skills and and coping skills for the very unfair world of adulthood.

Kids can't learn facts if they are too busy..defacing school property. You draw crap all over your desk instead of paying attention, your little heiny can sit on the floor until you understand why you are in that position and how to avoid it in the future.

The problem is almost never the teacher and almost always the PARENTS. How about you teach your kid not to draw on inappropriate surfaces?

I wonder what the walls and tables of this kid's house looks like.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN