Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

can you believe they filmed that?!?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:18 AM
  • 9 Replies
These days it seems like everyone has a phone that's able to take video. And it seems everyone is set on uploading even the most miniscule of events.
Do you ever wonder which ones are set up and which ones are real spontaneous actions caught on tape? There was a recent video making the rounds of a woman paying for another Walmart items. Although a very kind gesture I couldn't help but wonder why the strangers behind the customer on the receiving end of this charity thought it was a good idea to hit the record button?

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommabearbergh
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:31 AM
All it takes is a swipe to activate your cam and a great deal of the time people have their phone in their hand. My dds play with mine to stay occupied in target
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:52 AM
3 moms liked this

here they had a guy rescue a woman that was dragged under a bus....he said it was full reflexesthat kicked in to help save the trapped woman.  What he couldnt understand is that there were about 5 other people where he was or closer and none of them went to help her.....but they all pulled out their phones and started recording her first and then her and the guy rescuing her :-(

He said when interviewed that society has gone to the dogs.  He no longer has a phone.

latashac
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Sometimes it is by accident but most are just done by someone who wants to show the world that there are actually mammals with hearts still left. I think some are staged but I don't think it applies to most.

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Wirllllllllllstawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/

oddgirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I think some of it is staged because people want to see if they can make something go viral.  But it does seem like a lot of people have developed a reflex to start filming rather than actually being present in the moment - like I remember a video of a woman giving birth in the car on her way to the hospital and her husband filmed it rather than stopping the car to help her.  That makes no sense. 

But beyond filming small events all the time, which I'm guilty of doing, I'm curious about the mindset of putting it out there on the internet. My kids do cute things all the time and I take video, but I would never dream of just posting it up on YouTube.  Just like I would never dream of posting a video I took of a stranger on YouTube.  There's no sense of privacy anymore.

.veni.vidi.vici
by 3v on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I've often wondered the same thing

Iconoclast
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Building off of the idea that there is no sense of privacy do you think we will come to a time when people will sue because they were being filmed without giving permission? Where do you think this act of randomly filming strangers will take us.

Quoting oddgirl:

I think some of it is staged because people want to see if they can make something go viral.  But it does seem like a lot of people have developed a reflex to start filming rather than actually being present in the moment - like I remember a video of a woman giving birth in the car on her way to the hospital and her husband filmed it rather than stopping the car to help her.  That makes no sense. 

But beyond filming small events all the time, which I'm guilty of doing, I'm curious about the mindset of putting it out there on the internet. My kids do cute things all the time and I take video, but I would never dream of just posting it up on YouTube.  Just like I would never dream of posting a video I took of a stranger on YouTube.  There's no sense of privacy anymore.

4music
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:03 PM

There have already been rulings regarding this. Unless there is a reasonable expectation of privacy ( think bathrooms, changing rooms, bedrooms) then you rarely have recourse for being filmed in public.

Quoting Iconoclast: Building off of the idea that there is no sense of privacy do you think we will come to a time when people will sue because they were being filmed without giving permission? Where do you think this act of randomly filming strangers will take us.
Quoting oddgirl:

I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!
-Dennis
littlemum41
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I don't even know how to use that filming function. LOL. I only learned how to Text last summer.  My cell is in my purse when I drive , and I don't use it unless I am home and it is a family member calling or when I am checking my e-mail or sending.

I think people spend way too much time on their phones and I agree wth the guy who saved the woman. Why didn't they HELP? Filming was more important to them? Yikes !!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)