Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A Plea for Peace

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM
  • 33 Replies

A Plea for Peace

Posted: Updated:
Print Article

This week, along with a number of artists in my home country of Spain, I spoke out about the conflict in Gaza, urging all governments to intervene in this escalating crisis. My signature was solely meant as a plea for peace. Destruction and hatred only generate more hatred and destruction.

While I was critical of the Israeli military response, I have great respect for the people of Israel and deep compassion for their losses. I am now being labeled by some as anti-Semitic, as is my wife -- which is the antithesis of who we are as human beings. We detest anti-Semitism as much as we detest the horrible and painful consequences of war.

I was raised to be against any act of violence, and the consequent suffering of humanity for it, regardless of religions, ethnicities and borders. Too many innocent Palestinian mothers have lost their children to this conflict. Too many innocent Israeli mothers share the same grief. There should not be any political reason that can justify such enormous pain on both sides. It's my hope that leaders involved in this complicated struggle will heed the call of United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, "In the name of humanity, the violence must stop."

Palestinians and Israelis in the region deserve to have their safety and human rights recognized and respected so in the near future they may find peace and co-existence, for themselves and their innocent children. So generations to come could bring hope, forgiveness and compassion for each other. This is the most basic and necessary way to peace for all of us.

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:09 AM
3 moms liked this

Palestinians and Israelis in the region deserve to have their safety and human rights recognized and respected so in the near future they may find peace and co-existence, for themselves and their innocent children. So generations to come could bring hope, forgiveness and compassion for each other. This is the most basic and necessary way to peace for all of us.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

shake handAgreed, Mr. Bardem!

Quoting annabl1970:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this

It will not stop unless 1 side walks away. Neither side is prepared to walk away.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:35 AM
I know:(
And children will pay the price :(

Quoting Sisteract:

It will not stop unless 1 side walks away. Neither side is prepared to walk away.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemum41
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:48 AM

That's true. Tragic.

I just hope the USA doesn't get involved, though.

Quoting annabl1970: I know:( And children will pay the price :(
Quoting Sisteract:

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately wer are already indirectly involved, considering that we give Israel more than three billion (four billion if Congress authorizes additional funding through legislation) annually.  We also store over a billion dollars of our own weaponry inIsrael. 

Edit 

Quoting littlemum41:

That's true. Tragic.

Quoting Sisteract:

littlemum41
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Yes, that's true,but here's the thing: I was thinking that we shouldn't send any people , military, ( "advisors" ) there, because our Military is already over booked in the middle east and dying for no good reason.

I really hate that we send money and arms,etc. to foreign countries.

Storing our weapons? Yikes!

I guess I had better start Googling more of this.

Quoting Della529:

Unfortunately wer are already indirectly involved, considering that we give Israel more than three billion (four billion if Congress authorizes additional funding through legislation).  We also store over a billion dollars of our own weaponry inIsrael. 

Quoting littlemum41:

That's true. Tragic.

Quoting Sisteract:

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sisteract:

By unless 1 side walks away are you referring to Hamas?  Because the reality and history shows if Israel walks away the rockets and violence will not stop.  

Perhaps if the "Plea for Peace" referenced in the OP held Palestine accountable it would have come across as less anti-semitic....

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Our military trains in Israel and we do provide them military advisors.

I'm pretty sure, in the event Israel started a war against Iran (or vice versa), we would definitely get involved.

I know you don't care forWiki as a source, but you could go to the links if you're interested.  I would offer more, but I'm using an ipad and it's a pain, lol.

1. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_–_United_States_military...
    IsraelUnited States military relations. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Israel ... and in training exercises such as Juniper Stallion ...
Quoting littlemum41:

Yes, that's true,but here's the thing: I was thinking that we shouldn't send any people , military, ( "advisors" ) there, because our Military is already over booked in the middle east and dying for no good reason.

I really hate that we send money and arms,etc. to foreign countries.

Storing our weapons? Yikes!

I guess I had better start Googling more of this.

Quoting Della529:

Unfortunately wer are already indirectly involved, considering that we give Israel more than three billion (four billion if Congress authorizes additional funding through legislation).  We also store over a billion dollars of our own weaponry inIsrael. 

Quoting littlemum41:

That's true. Tragic.

Quoting Sisteract:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN