Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pneumonia

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:11 AM
  • 41 Replies
Suckily enough, I was just diagnosed with it. My question is, should I avoid my family? I do not want my son to get sick:( Also, is it okay for me to drop him off at school or should I just stay away from people altogether ... and if so, for how long?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PerseyG
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
having nearly died from double pneumonia myself, you are not a danger to others but they can be for you.

Just take your pills and rest...avoid the cold and wet. Also, make sure you cough. let your body expell the liquid in your lungs. I would stand over my kitchen sink and let myself cough.

Feel better!!
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Pneumonia by it's self is not contagious so you don't have to worry about it making others sick. What you need to be careful of and please take me very seriously are the Predizone they use to treat it. I would advise you to look it up. It is a steroid and can be lethal. For every prolonged month you are on it, it sets your immune system back 1 year.

Also it depletes almost all nutrient's from your body. Particularly sucking all your all your protein and potassium. Be sure while on it to eat a very high protein diet such as Salmon daily and banana, raw broccoli and increase your vitamin intake. Stay away from all sodium period. Predizone will make you retain toxic body fluid's and water's  and make you look fat and the least little bit of sodium will make it worse. If you are only on it for the normal 10 day cycle you can expect to look like you gained 10 pounds.

I have had Pneumonia every year at least once. Last year I got the vaccine as I have sworn even if I am on my death bed to never take Predizone again and since the vaccine I have not had it or bronchitisat all. I highly recommend when you get over this to get the vaccine because I remember you posting about bronchitis in the past. My insurance didn't cover it and I had to pay 69 dollar's which is well worth it not to suffer and in my case lose 2 week's of work wich is far more than 69 dollar's

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Thank you!!!

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Pneumonia by it's self is not contagious so you don't have to worry about it making others sick. What you need to be careful of and please take me very seriously are the Predizone they use to treat it. I would advise you to look it up. It is a steroid and can be lethal. For every prolonged month you are on it, it sets your immune system back 1 year.

Also it depletes almost all nutrient's from your body. Particularly sucking all your all your protein and potassium. Be sure while on it to eat a very high protein diet such as Salmon daily and banana, raw broccoli and increase your vitamin intake. Stay away from all sodium period. Predizone will make you retain toxic body fluid's and water's  and make you look fat and the least little bit of sodium will make it worse. If you are only on it for the normal 10 day cycle you can expect to look like you gained 10 pounds.

I have had Pneumonia every year at least once. Last year I got the vaccine as I have sworn even if I am on my death bed to never take Predizone again and since the vaccine I have not had it or bronchitisat all. I highly recommend when you get over this to get the vaccine because I remember you posting about bronchitis in the past. My insurance didn't cover it and I had to pay 69 dollar's which is well worth it not to suffer and in my case lose 2 week's of work wich is far more than 69 dollar's

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerdmom2twins
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Pneumonia isn't contagious, it's a secondary illness of something contagious (usually), though it can occur with allergies I believe. 

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:01 PM

You are welcome. Please look it up so you can know what to do and how to eat while on it to keep you from becoming so depleted and left feeling even worse after the treatment than before you felt before you were sick to begin with. This Predizone (steroid) is nothing to play around with and any extra measure'syou can take to be a step a head of it will help. It literally suck's every thing beneficial right out of your body and leaves you susceptible to be sick again.

I hope you feel well soon. I sympathize with you. I know how exhausted you are feeling and how laying in bed all day and night suffering with it while having obligation's that need to be tended to is. I try not to take any more medication's or drugs that I have to but what pursy said about getting the fluid out of your lungs in very important. Instead of buying anything to suppress the cough look for Robitussin (spelling ?) that will literally make you gag and make you vomit the fluid. It is miserable but if you just do it and vomit that fluid out it is going to determine how fast you recover. That fluid is the Pneumonia and must come out.

Good luck and feel well soon, rest and leave everything for your husband to worry about right now.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: Thank you!!!
Quoting 1stmuslimah:

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Quoting nerdmom2twins:

Pneumonia isn't contagious, it's a secondary illness of something contagious (usually), though it can occur with allergies I believe. 

I agree, I am not one to push drug's and try to stay to my natural treatment's which have never failed me. However as someone who has bronchitis a few times a year and Pneumonia at least once a year I will never go another year without the vaccine now that this past year I never got it once and I smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day.

I do not have allergy's but I know allergy's can lead to Pneumonia. For someone who does suffer allergy's or any associated disorder the vaccine is a really good preventive measure.

I can't even go around anyone who has a simple 2 day runny nose. I am guaranteed to catch it and everything runs straight to my lungs. What bothers them for 2 day's put's me in bed for 2 weeks and it is just not worth it for me not to take preventative measure's.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Op, are you even on prednisone? My son had pneumonia a couple years ago when he was 5, and was not prescribed anything beyond a kick ass antibiotic for 5 days.

His was caught early though, and maybe they don't give little kids steroids if they can avoid it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerseyG
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I was never given prednisone either...just antibiotics.
.veni.vidi.vici
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM

That sucks! Rest is best, as others have said. If you can take a cough syrup that keeps you from coughing for a few days that can be helpful. Prednisone is fantastic, especially in a nebulizer. I hope you fell better soon.

Rest means doing as little as possible even if you're bored out of your mind.

I hope you feel better soon!

TappyToes
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Quoting canadianmom1974: Op, are you even on prednisone? My son had pneumonia a couple years ago when he was 5, and was not prescribed anything beyond a kick ass antibiotic for 5 days. His was caught early though, and maybe they don't give little kids steroids if they can avoid it.

That is my question.  The antibiotics are usually enough to do the job along with cough and expectorant things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)