Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think about stories like this? (Mom ridiculed for bikini body)

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:01 PM
  • 80 Replies

Mobile Photo

Slow news day other than Obama/Israel stuff, and that's been covered.

I'm not sure her response "blew me away", it was obvious that she was going to defensively say something about being proud of her mommy scars, what has YOUR body done, etc.

I think the people saying these things are assholes. I would have been hurt and said something right then to them. I don't wear bikinis though but it doesn't bother me to see less than perfect bodies in them.

A Mother Of Five Was Ridiculed For Her Body At The Beach. But Her Response Blew Everyone Away.

It was Tanis Jex-Blake’s first time at the beach in 13 years. The mother of five from Alberta, Canada had mustered enough courage to strip down into a bikini in order to get some nice tanning time under the sun. Sadly, what should have been a day of happiness and relaxation turned into a terrible ordeal, and she went home crying. Later that day, she posted something to Facebook that has now caused a HUGE buzz on social media:

This is an open letter to the 2 guys and 1 girl who decided to skip work today in Sherwood Park where they were building a house, but instead decided to come to Alberta Beach to relax in the sun, enjoy the water and some beers.

I’m sorry if my first attempt at sun tanning in a bikini in public in 13 years ‘grossed you out’. I’m sorry that my stomach isn’t flat and tight. I’m sorry that my belly is covered in stretch marks. I’m NOT sorry that my body has housed, grown, protected, birthed and nurtured FIVE fabulous, healthy, intelligent and wonderful human beings. I’m sorry if my 33 year old, 125 lb body offended you so much that you felt that pointing, laughing, and pretending to kick me. But I’ll have you know that as I looked at your ‘perfect’ young bodies, I could only think to myself ‘what great and amazing feat has YOUR body done?. I’ll also have you know that I held my head high, unflinching as you mocked me, pretending that what you said and did had no effect on me; but I cried in the car on the drive home. Thanks for ruining my day. It’s people like you who make this world an ugly hateful place. I can’t help but feel sorry for the women who will one day bear your children and become “gross” in your eyes as their bodies change during the miraculous process of pregnancy. I can only hope that one day you’ll realize that my battle scars are something to be proud of, not ashamed of.

Jex-Blake’s powerful message resulted in her Facebook post being picked up by a local radio station, and was subsequently shared over 1 MILLION times…

pulptastic.com

So how would you have handled jerks at the beach?

by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meaghan116
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM
3 moms liked this
I think it's crazy that people think it's ok to display that in public.. What happened to modesty!

That being said there is no excuse for making fun of someone because they are different/ not perfect - and I think she handled it well
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM
6 moms liked this
I would have said, "WTF did you just say to me b***h? Run your mouth again you nasty c**t.". During my explosion DH would have beat the shit out of the dude. We're pretty trashy when it comes to public confrontations.
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
There is no excuse for people making fun of her.

However, knowing what assphats people are she should have either expected it or not let it
Get to her.

My dd has a friend who is overweight and doesn't give a crap what people think. She laughs at people who say something to her.
MidwestMama55
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM
3 moms liked this

I think if there was anyone in charge there, those rude people should have been asked to leave and not return. As long as her private bits were covered, leave her alone.

You know what would be awesome, is for the folks in that area to stage a "bikini-in" for all women who otherwise would not want to wear a bikini, to wear them proudly for the day.

MonarchMom22
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:38 PM
6 moms liked this

I live at the beach, and see bodies of all shapes and sizes in all manner of attire.  It's just part of life. I think it's great that women are embracing their changing shapes and wearing whatever kind of suit they want - whether or not they fit the "model" body type.  Things have really changed for the better in that regard.

How sad that young people felt the need to mock someone for their appearance.  That is not a change for the better.

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:43 PM

A bikini is kind of accepted as a "look at me,   I think I'm hot" outfit.     So it's a risky approach to dealing with insecurities about anything.    But this reaction is outrageous and cruel.    They should be very ashamed of themselves.    

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you have a problem with bikinis in general or just women who don't have great bodies?

Quoting meaghan116: I think it's crazy that people think it's ok to display that in public.. What happened to modesty!

That being said there is no excuse for making fun of someone because they are different/ not perfect - and I think she handled it well
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:46 PM
4 moms liked this
I disagree that bikinis are "look at me I think I'm hot". I live in Florida and most women wear them. I see one pieces as "I'm insecure".

Quoting MelanieJK:

A bikini is kind of accepted as a "look at me,   I think I'm hot" outfit.     So it's a risky approach to dealing with insecurities about anything.    But this reaction is outrageous and cruel.    They should be very ashamed of themselves.    

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I like that idea.

Quoting MidwestMama55:

I think if there was anyone in charge there, those rude people should have been asked to leave and not return. As long as her private bits were covered, leave her alone.

You know what would be awesome, is for the folks in that area to stage a "bikini-in" for all women who otherwise would not want to wear a bikini, to wear them proudly for the day.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:50 PM
5 moms liked this
If you see one pieces as "I'm insecure", then it would follow that a bikini means "I'm hot"?

Quoting quickbooksworm: I disagree that bikinis are "look at me I think I'm hot". I live in Florida and most women wear them. I see one pieces as "I'm insecure".

Quoting MelanieJK:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN