Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This is the water source in Toledo, Ohio. No photoshop. Toxic algae bloom.

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 6:28 PM
  • 35 Replies

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Bump
slb235
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I wonder if you could drink from this with a lifestraw.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 6:31 PM
What's the scale on the picture?

Nasty either way.
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:10 PM

No one seems to know when Toledo water will be safe to drink again. I ate in an area that is now considered unsafe the day before the ban. Every place is sold out of water from what I here. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Its impacting anumber of communities in michigan as well. This is due to fertilizers and agricultural waste run off. Another great reason to rethink how we farm. Growning food in deserts and poisoning our water...not really sure its working.
RandRMomma
by Maya on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Yeah...not surprised by this. It's disgusting and some Michigan communities are suffering because of it.
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:19 PM
All the farmers around me are spraying right now and the lical crop duster was out. We keep on having evening rains too so I imagine a lot if chemicals are continuing to wash into the lake. I worry this might take a while to get cleaned up.

Quoting UpSheRises: Its impacting anumber of communities in michigan as well. This is due to fertilizers and agricultural waste run off. Another great reason to rethink how we farm. Growning food in deserts and poisoning our water...not really sure its working.
JTROX
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM

From what I've heard rain is helpful to break up the bloom.  I think it may be around awhile too.

Quoting smalltowngal: All the farmers around me are spraying right now and the lical crop duster was out. We keep on having evening rains too so I imagine a lot if chemicals are continuing to wash into the lake. I worry this might take a while to get cleaned up.
Quoting UpSheRises: Its impacting anumber of communities in michigan as well. This is due to fertilizers and agricultural waste run off. Another great reason to rethink how we farm. Growning food in deserts and poisoning our water...not really sure its working.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Looks like it's getting worse. Local station said today the bloom more visable today. 

Quoting JTROX:

From what I've heard rain is helpful to break up the bloom.  I think it may be around awhile too.

Quoting smalltowngal: All the farmers around me are spraying right now and the lical crop duster was out. We keep on having evening rains too so I imagine a lot if chemicals are continuing to wash into the lake. I worry this might take a while to get cleaned up.

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM
who said it has anything to do with farmers? I do not believe that is the case.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN