Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM
  • 15 Replies

When it comes to environmental regulation compliance, the Department of Homeland Security isn’t playing — as evidenced by a recent federal raid of a South Carolinian’s home to confiscate a Land Rover that violated EPA emission rules.

Jennifer Brinkley said she saw a line of law enforcement vehicles approaching her home and wondered what was wrong, the local WBTV reported. Homeland Security agents then went to her 1985 Land Rover Defender and lifted the hood.

“They popped up the hood and looked at the Vehicle Identification Number and compared it with a piece of paper and then took the car with them,” she said, WBTV reported.

She told Fox News that she was told the agents seized the vehicle because they thought it violated the Clean Air Act — though at the time, they weren’t completely sure. She also said her vehicle was just one of 40 that feds seized in various locations that same day for the same reason.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/1/feds-raid-sc-home-to-
seize-land-rover-in-epa-emiss/#ixzz39NPtfYU5 

Sorry if this was posted already I searched and didn't find one.

So are they going to take all antique cars as well? Are they going to leave only a privileged few their property?

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

wow

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:25 PM

There has got to be more to this story.

Nobody was notified ahead of time? Why this community? Who told them why the vehicle was seized? There was no paperwork? I just doesn't sound right.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:32 PM
3 moms liked this

Okay, mystery solved. I'm sure you only posted half the article for space consideration but there is an important bit of info a few line down from where it's cut off.

Feds were seeking imported vehicles with altered VINS, like this ladies Land Rover. So no...they aren't just randomly snatching old cars.

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Over Reaching Government in Action? 

Quote:

"Ms. Brinkley said on Fox News that she had spent considerable money ensuring her vehicle would pass inspection laws and that it was in compliance with emission rules.

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Quote:

"The lawsuit, that has dozens of vehicles listed for seizure, shows the VIN number for her car but a different owner than her. Brinkley has hired an attorney to look into the claims but says the agents who took the vehicle still have not told her where it is being kept so she can check the VIN numbers herself.

A vehicle typically has the VIN number on several locations and all the numbers are supposed to match. If they do in this case, Brinkley says the agents need to relent.

"I want my car back," she said. 

She has been given 35 days to appeal the seizure."

They should let her know where the car is and let her build her case for appeal. Not too mention, this should be a DOT or EPA issue, shouldn't it?  Seems off to have DHS involved. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Okay, mystery solved. I'm sure you only posted half the article for space consideration but there is an important bit of info a few line down from where it's cut off.

Feds were seeking imported vehicles with altered VINS, like this ladies Land Rover. So no...they aren't just randomly snatching old cars.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM

They were seeking certain vehicles that didn't meet emission standards. They didn't bother to see that this lady had brought it compliant.

Quoting UpSheRises:

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I think this should be a state issue like most emissions are.

Quoting jcrew6:

Quote:

"The lawsuit, that has dozens of vehicles listed for seizure, shows the VIN number for her car but a different owner than her. Brinkley has hired an attorney to look into the claims but says the agents who took the vehicle still have not told her where it is being kept so she can check the VIN numbers herself.

A vehicle typically has the VIN number on several locations and all the numbers are supposed to match. If they do in this case, Brinkley says the agents need to relent.

They should let her know where the car is and let her build her case for appeal. Not too mention, this should be a DOT or EPA issue, shouldn't it?  Seems off to have DHS involved. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Seems like there should be some paper wor attached, yeah. I bet it was DHS because they were imported fraudulently...like fake MAC make up and knock off purses.

Quoting jcrew6:

Quote:

Quoting UpSheRises:

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Which I could totally understand IF she knew it was illegal.  When she went to title the auto, one would think that someone would have contacted her in a not so abbrasive way.  

Let's hope she gets Due Process. 

Quoting UpSheRises: Seems like there should be some paper wor attached, yeah. I bet it was DHS because they were imported fraudulently...like fake MAC make up and knock off purses.
Quoting jcrew6:

Quote:

Quoting UpSheRises:

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
It sounds pretty complicated, k think the emissions thing was just the reason they used to seize them. Ill bet its connected to some international crime ring. Buyer be ware when making ebay purchases. I hope it wasnt her only vehicle.

Quoting stormcris:

I think this should be a state issue like most emissions are.

Quoting jcrew6:

Quote:

Quoting UpSheRises:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN