Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Search and Seizure

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM
  • 128 Replies

What are your thoughts on schools being able to search vehicles without a warrant and without permission?

This is in my daughters handbook and if they find anything illegal (which btw a soda bottle could be deemed illegal) they can get expelled. 

Also: What do you think of schools disciplining over conduct outside of school? 

Background: The principle had a DUI with no disciplinary action.

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsmoonbeam
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont think they should be able to punish students for haveing somethinng like over the counter med or pop, but things like booze,tobacco products,illegal drugs,or weapons yes. I dont think anything that happens on a students own time is any of their busniss and they should NOT be allowed to punish students for it.. I know WE were told in the early 90s that if a teacher saw us taking something like advil then we would be treated as if it was an illegal drug intill the drug test proved it was over the counter. several years ago a girl was suspended because the drug dog siniffed out her BIRTH CONTROL PILLS WTF was the dog even trained to sniff out a legal perscription drug?
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM

That's strange about the birth control. Why would they train a dog to detect that?

Quoting mrsmoonbeam: I dont think they should be able to punish students for haveing somethinng like over the counter med or pop, but things like booze,tobacco products,illegal drugs,or weapons yes. I dont think anything that happens on a students own time is any of their busniss and they should NOT be allowed to punish students for it.. I know WE were told in the early 90s that if a teacher saw us taking something like advil then we would be treated as if it was an illegal drug intill the drug test proved it was over the counter. several years ago a girl was suspended because the drug dog siniffed out her BIRTH CONTROL PILLS WTF was the dog even trained to sniff out a legal perscription drug?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I think schools should have the right to check out anything on their property.
I dont think they should have the right to do anything if things go on after school hours and not in school.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:17 PM

on school property?

I have no problem with it.  I would never park within the school grounds and fight it at school meetings centreing my questions on WHY the need for this rule is needed.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

To enter a vehicle without a warrant? Does the fact that the parking spots are leased to the students have any impact on your opinion?

Quoting EireLass: I think schools should have the right to check out anything on their property. I dont think they should have the right to do anything if things go on after school hours and not in school.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:21 PM

If you drive to school you cannot park off school grounds or you will be towed. You have to pay a lease fee for the parking space as well.

Quoting turtle68:

on school property?

I have no problem with it.  I would never park within the school grounds and fight it at school meetings centreing my questions on WHY the need for this rule is needed.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I dont believe schools should be able to discipline outside of school if the school is in no way connected to said crime or action.  If they can be connected then yes I do believe they should be disciplined.

I remember when I was in high school and a bunch of students were caught smoking in school uniform while they were walking home after school.  The Parents had no problems with the actions the school took.

A teacher and principal have a different standard to uphold IMO.

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Hm.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  

If a property is leased, does the owner of the property retain the right to enter?  

Our school handles things differently.  You pay a fee to park, but it's not a leased space.  You can also park off campus and it's not an issue.  

I know that when it comes to lockers, there are different standards of "reason."  The pricipal can search a locker for pretty much any reason, but the school resource officer needs probable cause (I think.)  

I do want the school to have the ability to enter cars for true cause.  A soda bottle shouldn't be "cause."  

Also, the fact that the principal had a DUI -- I would be frustrated that no action was taken.  

Quoting stormcris:

If you drive to school you cannot park off school grounds or you will be towed. You have to pay a lease fee for the parking space as well.

Quoting turtle68:

on school property?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM

wow...a lease fee to park at school.  

Even leases have working clauses to them that you have to abide by.

If you are driving to school then I suggest you ensure your car is adhering to the school rules :-)

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting turtle68:

on school property?

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM

What would be the different standards for a teacher and principal?

Quoting turtle68:

I dont believe schools should be able to discipline outside of school if the school is in no way connected to said crime or action.  If they can be connected then yes I do believe they should be disciplined.

I remember when I was in high school and a bunch of students were caught smoking in school uniform while they were walking home after school.  The Parents had no problems with the actions the school took.

A teacher and principal have a different standard to uphold IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)