Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dogs! Dogs everywhere!

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM
  • 89 Replies
1 mom liked this
Increasingly, I'm seeing dogs everywhere in public. Grocery stores, banks, restaurants, farmer's markets, running around off leash in the neighborhood, drug stores, schools, etc. I'm not talking about trained, certified assistance dogs, but any kind of dog....including big, poorly trained, drooling or aggressive dogs, or small, yapping, nipping dogs....with owners who seem to have no control or concern about their dog's behavior or intrusion on other people.

Here are some experiences I've had in the past month:

* I went to Walgreens (which sells food), the lady ahead of me at the register had a medium sized dog sprawled out in her cart. She explained to the cashier that her dog had been sprayed by a skunk, and that is why she was purchasing the items she had.

* a large dog jumped up on my stroller at Costco. The owner said, "oh....is there a baby in there?"

* at a local coffee house/ cafe with an outdoor eating area, I watched a women bring her dog over to a picnic table, watched it poop and pee, then brought the dog up to sit next to her on the bench.

* on my evening walk, we saw a couple ladies walking two small dogs, and moved to the street to avoid them. As we passed, the one lady's dog charges out on a long leash. She made no attempt to restrain him. He gets tothe point he is between my legs and my stroller growling and trying to get to my dog (her dog is on a mile long leash). I finally said, "please pull your dog away!" She responded, " dude, relax!"

Anyhow....is it just my town, or are pet owners everywhere feeling increasingly entitled to bring their dogs everywhere and let them intrude on others with not a care?

Half vent, half genuine curiosity.
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sj2014
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Oh, one more!

I'm laying at a children's park on a blanket with my baby. A lady rides through fast on a bike. Behind her are two dogs running at lightening speed. They both run over my blanket, knock my tea out of my hand, and one craps right behind us. She just kept riding, oblivious to her dogs.

Argh.
PerseyG
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:40 PM
5 moms liked this
They believe their dogs are the same as human children and are entitled to same respect as such.

Bad enough we have wackadoo child-centered copter parents...now we have wackadoo pet-centered "furparents".

Ebola can't infect us fast enough...
sj2014
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Is it just my town/state (coastal California), or is this becoming the norm everywhere?

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Not in my town.  In the larger city 'near us' the problem is packs of stray dogs harassing city dwellers. 

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I lived in europe, while in college~ (many, many years ago)...  In Paris, it seemed like people took their dogs everywhere.  restaurants, stores, work....  Maybe the US is just slow to catch on. 

Quoting PerseyG: They believe their dogs are the same as human children and are entitled to same respect as such. Bad enough we have wackadoo child-centered copter parents...now we have wackadoo pet-centered "furparents". Ebola can't infect us fast enough...

LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:05 AM
Huh. I haven't noticed it here in northwestern Wisconsin. A lot of dogs in pickup trucks, but not running just willy nilly everywhere.
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Funny, my dog just curled up at my feet as I spotted this post!

We have a couple of "pet-friendly" restaurants here; the animals have to be on the patio. One of them is the "Lazy Dog Cafe!" And I admit, I go to a pet-friendly church! It grew out of our annual blessing of the animals service. My dog doesn't come with me a lot because I'm often one of the chalice bearers at Communion. But we have a few folks who do regularly bring their animals, especially a couple of seniors. The pets get a blessing at Communion time.

But that doesn't mean it's OK to let your pet run wild. The pet owners you cite were all clods.

Dardenella
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

sadly I think it is a trend. We have leash lawa and the will do everything to barely be withing the law.Mine are leased at all times unless in the dog park, Dogs off leash charge mine in a leashe who the takes and aggressive stance.  The other owners are upset,  Huh>

Crazy world.

sj2014
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Maybe they at least manage their dogs, and don't let them harass and intrude on other people.

Imvan animal lover ro the extreme, but I don't want an ass licking, sniffing, scratching, drooling mutt at my feat when I eat, or snarling at me and my leashed dog and baby while I'm just trying to stroll down the street....or sitting at my table with its bungholio on theseat after it just shat on the ground under the table.

People are just self obsessed these days...no care or respect for others.

I couldn't have cared less if we ever "caught up" with this asinine trend.

Quoting jcrew6:

I lived in europe, while in college~ (many, many years ago)...  In Paris, it seemed like people took their dogs everywhere.  restaurants, stores, work....  Maybe the US is just slow to catch on. 

Quoting PerseyG: They believe their dogs are the same as human children and are entitled to same respect as such.

Bad enough we have wackadoo child-centered copter parents...now we have wackadoo pet-centered "furparents".

Ebola can't infect us fast enough...

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in a mostly pet freindly community.....meaning businesses. There are so many people that either shouldnt have dogs, or the people need intense training before their pet gets trained!
That said, I have 3 dogs that are welcomed everywhere because of their behaviour.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN