Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Google is facing criticism Android mobile users to download a game called “Bomb Gaza”

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:55 AM
  • 14 Replies

Google is facing criticism for continuing to allow Android mobile users to download a game called “Bomb Gaza”, in which players are required to “drop bombs and avoid killing citizens”.

The app, which was uploaded on 29 July, has been installed up to 1,000 times and received at least one report as “inappropriate”. As of Monday evening, the game was no longer available on Google Play.

According to the game’s description and a series of screenshots, users gain points by controlling aircraft marked with Israeli flags as they drop bombs on cartoon Hamas militants.

It comes as more than 1,800 Palestinians have been killed in the ongoing Gaza conflict. Israel has confirmed that 64 of its soldiers have died in combat, while three civilians have been killed by cross-border shelling from Gaza.

Responding to the game in its review section online, Iqra Iqbal wrote that it was an “abomination”, adding: “This is a violation of human rights. My beloved brothers and sisters are dying in Gaza and some stupid ignoramus decides to make a game like this.

Others said it was a “messed up game” and “disgusting”, while Saadat Ali said: “Request all to scroll to the bottom and flag this app as inappropriate to Google.”

People also took to Twitter to voice their criticism of the game, and user Elliott Clarkson wrote: “Google Play's approval process? Non-existent. So games like Bomb Gaza get through.”

It is not the only game available on Google Play that involves bombing Gaza, including "Iron Dome", “Gaza Assault: Code Red” that tells users to “secure the region” by taking control of “an Israeli UAV equipped with powerful weapons in an attempt to secure the region”.

A spokesman from Google said that the company does not comment on specific apps, but that it "remove[s] apps from Google Play that violate our policies

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/bomb-gaza-google-play-app-lets-android-users-carry-out-israeli-air-strikes-on-palestinians-9647579.html

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erika9009
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this

wow,

VERY bad taste for sure.

Here's the thing, every time something weird happens now a days, there's an app to exploit it and make money.   This is the bad part of capitalism.

The best way to make these things go away is to NOT call attention to them by posting or talking about it.  How easy is it now to text 4329 of your closest friends and say, "Hey, check this app out"

The Streisand effect lives on and on and on and on

Erika..

The best things in life are not things.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:58 AM

Quoting erika9009:

wow,

VERY bad taste for sure.

Here's the thing, every time something weird happens now a days, there's an app to exploit it and make money.   This is the bad part of capitalism.

The best way to make these things go away is to NOT call attention to them by posting or talking about it.  How easy is it now to text 4329 of your closest friends and say, "Hey, check this app out"

The Streisand effect lives on and on and on and on

You are so right. I hate these stupid phone's with all this garbage on them. I told them at the dealer I want a phone with no camera, no Internet, no nothing. Just make a call and take a call and no touch screen crap. They tell me you can't it any more like that. I came home went through the old boxes in the basement and dug out a phone from 2004 and went back and told him to activate this for me.. Now I walk around with my 11 year phone and I love it.

People can't understand how it  how could I possibly be that I can function through life having to just be out at the store and might miss an email that can't wait until I get home to a computer. I figure if it's that important they don't need to send an email... just call and say it and it will be faster and easier.

littlemum41
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Yah, that is inappropriate. I hate  games that depict war, killing,etc. and this is the worst.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Stupid

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM
I wonder who created these games, and why. I also wonder who plays them.
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Quoting Della529: I wonder who created these games, and why. I also wonder who plays them.

lol

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Quoting Della529: I wonder who created these games, and why. I also wonder who plays them.

"ONE" report for being inappropriate. Say's allot about society huh ?

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Thou shal not play a game that others dislike for political reasons. 

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Well let's put it in reverse.

Design a game called Bomb Israel and let's see the reaction.

Quoting BaronSamedi:

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM

You gotta give em some credit Della. At least unlike in real life they are trying to avoid civilian's.

Quoting Della529: Well let's put it in reverse. Design a game called Bomb Israel and let's see the reaction.
Quoting BaronSamedi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN