Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Maternal Deaths and the Maternal Health Bill Women should be Paying Attention To

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM
  • 0 Replies

Hi everyone,

I am a long time lurker:-) I am also a materhal health advocate and writer.After the birth of my first daughter in 2010, I suffered a postpartum hemorrhage and almost died. I underwent a life-saving surgery and was later diagnosed with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). One year later, I had a miscarriage in a yogurt shop in front of several people. I realized that there were very few resources for women who had similar birth and pregnancy complications, and I began to write about my birth experience two years ago. 

Out of 180 countries, the United States currently ranks 60th in maternal deaths. Each year, approximately 86,000 women in the U.S. suffer a birth or pregnancy complication, and out of those around 800 die. The U.S. is the only developed country where maternal deaths and infant mortality rates are increasing.

Currently sitting before Congress  is a bill called H.R. 4217 The Maternal Health Accountability Act of 2014. 

If passed, this bill will lead to major improvement in researching the causes of maternal deaths by awarding states grants to allow for such things as:

•Mandatory reporting of all pregnancy-related deaths by health care providers to the state department of health. 
•The establishment of a state maternal mortality review committee on pregnancy-related deaths occurring within each state.
•Organizing a national workshop to identify definitions for severe maternal morbidity, a research plan, and possible data collection protocols to assist states in identifying and monitoring such cases.

As of today, H.R.4216 has no chance of being passed. Only twenty-four members of Congress are co-sponsoring it.

You can learn more about HR4216 and how to contact your local reps to lend their support by clicking on the link below:

http://on.fb.me/1l13MkW

Here is a link to my personal story of surviving birth trauma after childbirth:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timoria-mcqueen/what-no-one-is-talking-ab_b_4310103.html

Feel free to share on your social media pages:-)

Thank for reading,

Timoria

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)