Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

12-year-old suspect in playground attack calls 911: ‘I just stabbed someone and I want to die'

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:07 PM
  • 44 Replies

12-year-old suspect in playground attack calls 911: ‘I just stabbed someone and I want to die'

By Scott Kaufman
small boy listening to a cellphone on shutterstock

•  
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page
  •  

A shirtless 12-year-old boy walked up to a Kentwood, Michigan resident on Monday and asked to borrow his phone so he could report himself to the police, The Grand Rapids Press reported.

According to Glen Stacy, a boy wearing only jean shorts asked to borrow his phone, called 911 on it, and said, "Hi, I just stabbed somebody. Please pick me up. I want to die. I don't want to be on this earth anymore. Please pick me up."

Police responding to the call discovered a 9-year-old boy, who is reportedly critically injured, near a playground.

Stacy told The Grand Rapids Press that the boy seemed calm as he informed the 911 dispatcher that he didn't know the other child he had stabbed. He just "hated his life" and "taken many pills," he allegedly told the dispatcher, before adding that he felt like "no one loved him."

Police first went to find the victim, and then began searching for the suspect. When they started moving in the wrong direction, Stacy said the boy yelled, "Hello! I'm right here! You're going the wrong way!"

The boy was handcuffed and taken away not in a police cruiser, but in an ambulance, which Stacy said was a good thing.

"To see a kid this young not to feel loved, I'm really saddened," Stacy said. "I hope he gets the help that he needs. This kid is reaching out for help - I can tell - but he's reaching for it in the wrong ways."

UPDATE: The Associated Press just reported the stabbed boy, now identified as Michael Conner Verkerke, died after being rushed to the hospital.

ETA

Boy Dies After Playground Stabbing by 12-Year-Old

ABCNews
COREY WILLIAMS
Wednesday, August 06, 2014
KENTWOOD, Mich. --

A 9-year-old boy repeatedly stabbed by a 12-year-old at a Michigan playground ran screaming to his home and collapsed bleeding on his porch before dying at a hospital a short time later, witnesses and police said Tuesday.

Witnesses said the 12-year-old boy went to a nearby home after the Monday evening attack on Michael Conner Verkerke, called 911 and calmly turned himself in, then tried to flag down officers when they arrived.

The 12-year-old pleaded not guilty to a murder charge in juvenile court Tuesday, according to his attorney. He was ordered held in a juvenile detention center until a hearing next week. A motive for the attack still was being investigated, Kentwood Police Chief Thomas Hillen said.

Barb Poelman told The Associated Press she was sitting on her deck in the Pinebrook Village mobile home park in the western Michigan city of Kentwood when "we heard the kids run across the front ... screaming. He (Michael) ran with the kids that were with him."

She said the boy's mother was distraught, pleading for help as she lay on the grass outside the family's home.

"She was screaming, 'Where is the ambulance?' while her boy was laying on the porch bleeding,"
Poelman said. "The kids, I thought they were just playing."

Witnesses told investigators that four children were playing when one of them, for unknown reasons, pulled a knife and stabbed the boy in the back.

Glen Stacy, who lives nearby, told The Grand Rapids Press that the older boy approached him after the attack and asked to use his phone. He said the boy called 911 to report the attack and turn himself in.

Stacy said he also called police and described the boy as "very calm."

"The only time he raised his voice was when the police came," Stacy said.

When police arrived at the mobile home park, they first went to aid the stabbing victim, but the older boy wanted the officers to pick him up and yelled, "'Hello, I'm right here. You're going the wrong way,'" Stacy said.

Tiffany Armijo said her son was playing with Michael before he was attacked and that she had never seen the 12-year-old before.

"He was playing with Michael and his brother, and my kid, too," she said, her voice breaking.

She declined to discuss any details about the attack, but said Michael was her son's best friend and "a good kid."

"They always played together. He was at my house almost every day," she said.

Poelman said the boy lived with his parents and two siblings in the mobile home park. A man who identified himself as Michael's grandfather when the AP called a phone number listed for his home declined to comment.

Police said the 12-year-old boy was evaluated at a hospital after the attack, then taken to the Kent County Juvenile Detention Center.

Defense attorney Charles Boekeloo said he entered a not-guilty plea for the boy during Tuesday's hearing, adding that he may seek a mental evaluation to determine if the boy is competent to stand trial.

The Associated Press is not naming the 12-year-old because of his age. He is designated as an adult in the juvenile court system, which would allow the boy, if convicted, to be sentenced as a juvenile and then as an adult once he turns 21, according to Chris Becker, chief assistant prosecutor for Kent County.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Aug. 13.

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this
How terrible, I need to stop reading these stories
VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Ya I'm more worried about the stabbed kid.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Quoting VinVanMom: Ya I'm more worried about the stabbed kid.

He passed away

So sad

VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Omg what a loss. Two lives are over.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting VinVanMom: Ya I'm more worried about the stabbed kid.

He passed away

So sad

BrutalTruth
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM
"Reaching for it in the wrong ways"...um, yeah, I'd say killing an nine year old boy is the wrong way to ask for help. Wtf.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM
3 moms liked this

The reporter seems way more concerned with the boy that murdered another innocent kid than the one who died.

I didn't disagree that this kid probably needs help...but he is a murderer...and the boy he killed hadn't passed yet...seems quite insensitive

Quoting BrutalTruth: "Reaching for it in the wrong ways"...um, yeah, I'd say killing an nine year old boy is the wrong way to ask for help. Wtf.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:36 PM

OMG!  That's terrible!  That poor little boy :(

As for the 12 year old, he obviously has mental issues and needs to be kept locked up to prevent any further harm to anyone else. 

Autumn07
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM

The victim has died from his injuries. This 12 y.o. boy is going to be charged as an adult. This happened 45 min. south of where I live.. very sad! :(

stormborn
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Tragic all around, but this kid should NOT be charges as an adult, WTF?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't even know what to say.

A child is a dead and another might as well be.

Horrific.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN