Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Swap the tortoise those two girls tortured with...

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM
  • 20 Replies

... an animal people find less endearing. Like a rat. Would your reaction of disgust be the same, or would you think it would be OK because the animal was a "pest" or "ugly" ?

For those who don't know what I am talking about, I am talking about the news report of some weeks back where two teenage girls tortured a gopher tortoise by setting it on fire with a lighter and throwing it around and  trying to crush it while it escaped, taunting it with phrases like "burn baby burn". They posted this on their Facebook.

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SLTmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I don't know what story you're talking about, but honestly I'd be disturbed by children setting any kind of animal on fire and torturing it.

It has less to do with the animal in question and more about the sick, disturbing actions of the children.

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

latashac
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I heard the story and I would have the same reaction. They are sick and need to be removed from society
ashellbell
by shellbark on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM
5 moms liked this

Any type of torture of an animal, regarldess of the cuteness factor, is atrocious and a sign of a disturbed person.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM
I wouldnt care if it was a cockroach...its still messed up.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Yes, it would be equally disturbing.  

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't find turtles particularl endearing, but torture is wrong no matter the animal involved.

I personally think cows are so stupid they deserve to be eaten, but I'd still never condone abuse of them. It's not about how cute and cuddly the animal is, it's about how disturbed these girls are.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't care what kind of animal it is.  When you torture an animal there is something wrong with you.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Yep

Quoting ashellbell:

Any type of torture of an animal, regarldess of the cuteness factor, is atrocious and a sign of a disturbed person.

sj2014
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Cows have other endearing qualities when given the opportunity to express them. They are gentle, loving mothers. Compassionate and loyal community members. Creatures smart enough to (when given space) not eat everything, but to move along munching here and there....with an inherent knowledge to allow their food to replenish so they can come back to it at some point. In some ways, they are "smarter" than humans.

:0(

Quoting canadianmom1974:

I don't find turtles particularl endearing, but torture is wrong no matter the animal involved.

I personally think cows are so stupid they deserve to be eaten, but I'd still never condone abuse of them. It's not about how cute and cuddly the animal is, it's about how disturbed these girls are.

BrutalTruth
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:49 AM
What the fuck? I would feel exactly the same.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)