Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Who's responsible?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM
  • 40 Replies

This happened last year. 

At the end of the school year several events and picnics are planned. Notices and letters are sent home for signatures, along with agendas for each event. There are 2 activities that require a sack lunch. The teachers send home a permission slip for the kids to walk to a local park, or rec center and ask if the child will be bringing a sack lunch or request that the cafeteria provide one for the cost of lunch. Students who receive free or reduced lunch get the lunch as well, the parents just have to sign and send the form to school.

There were several kids who didn't return their slips, calls were made and promises from the parents were made stating a parent would sign a form and make sure it got there in time. Nope. 

One teacher went to the office secretary and put in lunch orders for the kids she knew received free lunch. The secretary told her she couldn't without the signed permission slip that also had lunch request info on it. So she went to the principal and he said that same thing.

So the picnic day had arrived. At least 12 kids didn't have a lunch. There was a mass panic amongst the teachers. Kids complained, some other kids shared their lunch with a friend and a few kids didn't eat.

One of our paras was furious that the teachers who knew there would be no lunch for these kids didn't "plan" effectively and make those kids something or bring extra lunch items ( just in case ).

Some of the parents whose kids didn't have a lunch were angry and complained loudly.

I should also mention that in our district there is a policy about food and what staff can and cannot give to their students.

In your opinion, who's responsible to feed the children of neglectful parents?

Who dropped the ball?

Is it that big of a deal?

by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skymcr
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:27 AM
4 moms liked this
Why did they take them to the picnic? They didn't return their permission slips. I think that those children should have stayed in school. It is the parents responsibility to send food for the children. The school should also send cold lunches just in case someone forgets their food.
furbabymum
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree that those without a permission slip should have remained at school

Quoting skymcr: Why did they take them to the picnic? They didn't return their permission slips. I think that those children should have stayed in school. It is the parents responsibility to send food for the children. The school should also send cold lunches just in case someone forgets their food.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I don't know how all schools are but we have a calender sent home every month with upcoming events with reminders from the school to the parents and I am a grade coodinator for the class and we also send email reminding parents so if they don't know it's on the parents.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:00 PM
4 moms liked this

the parents are ultimately responsible for their children going without lunch.  There is only so much the teachers can do, if the parents fall down on the job that's on them to figure out.  

Were the permission slips for lunch and to walk to the park?  If they didn't have signed permission slips from the parents how did the school justify taking them off school grounds?  

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
You snooze you lose. I feel bad for the kids whose parents arent on the ball
GLWerth
by Gina on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this

It isn't a huge deal. Missing one meal won't kill or permanently damage anyone, even a kid.

Who dropped the ball? The parents who didn't return the form.

I don't know if it is neglectful, since sometimes, things fall through the cracks for all but the most organized, perfect people among us. I've had to run things to the school because either I missed it or the kids forgot to give things to me and I never found out.

Most of the moms I know have done the same, even the school secretery loses track of things once in a while.

We're all human.

Seems like the school/teachers did what they could in the situation so those who are complaining should just suck it up and do better next time.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:28 PM
All of this...

Quoting GLWerth:

It isn't a huge deal. Missing one meal won't kill or permanently damage anyone, even a kid.

Who dropped the ball? The parents who didn't return the form.

I don't know if it is neglectful, since sometimes, things fall through the cracks for all but the most organized, perfect people among us. I've had to run things to the school because either I missed it or the kids forgot to give things to me and I never found out.

Most of the moms I know have done the same, even the school secretery loses track of things once in a while.

We're all human.

Seems like the school/teachers did what they could in the situation so those who are complaining should just suck it up and do better next time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Um, why was the permission slip for lunch but not to leave the school? If they actually get free or reduced lunch why did they need something signed special for what thy get already?

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know I thought my mind mind was made up while reading until I got to the bottom where you state there is a written policy so I guess that changes everything. Policy's are usually put in place to cover one ass if something should wrong.

I have to wonder though what kind of idiotic parent can't just be responsible to fill out and sign the damn form or send a lunch ? Any parent who was too stupid to do so has no right to complain. It's just too bad their kid had go through a day hungry and watching other kids eat because of their stupidity.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Completely and totally, 110% the fault of the parent.

Those parents who think otherwise simply need to get their heads out of their ass.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN