Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O praying in the mall: Do your rights extend to other people's private property

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM
KK
  • 9 Replies

Do you believe that your Constitutional rights are absolute and cannot be limited or infringed upon by anyone, anywhere?  

Do you think they are absolute and cannot be limited in public use locations, such as restaurants, malls, movie theaters, etc?  

Do privately owned businesses have a right to decide what behavior/conduct they will and will not allow in their business?  

Example 1: Starbucks asking individuals to not bring guns into their facility.  Is that their right, or does your 2nd amendment trump their right to make choices regarding their property and business?  

Example 2: mall having a rule that limits proselytizing/organized group prayer within it's facilities?   By saying that no organized group is allowed to organize a pray circle or proselytize are they risking a civil liberties lawsuit?  

by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM
4 moms liked this
Nope. Constitutional rights only mean the state can't abridge them. On private property, it's not the same. Besides, saying you can't have a gun in that exact moment in that exact space is not the same as saying you can't have a gun in general, so your rights aren't being infringed on.
GLWerth
by Gina on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

This will be an interesting conversation to watch.

I have suspicions as to what will come, but we'll see if I'm right.

Personally, I believe that businesses can, within reason, limit what can be done in their establishments.

For example: If you are open to the public and your state law says that you can't discriminate on the basis of race, sexual orientation, etc. you still need to follow the law, regardless of your personal feelings on the subject.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I need to head out, we have had a family emergency.  I was truly interested in this discussion so I apologize that I'm posting and running, I will try to read/respond when I get a chance.  

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:29 PM
This came up awhile ago when Joe the Plumber said his 2nd Amendment right trumped someone else's right to life.

Perhaps we need to prioritize our rights so we know which are more important than others and which ones can be infringed on at any given time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sister_Someone
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM

If you are on someone's private property, then your rights begin and end where the owner(s) of said property say they do. It is not a difficult concept by any means.

GLWerth
by Gina on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Hope your emergency comes out with everyone OK in the end.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

I need to head out, we have had a family emergency.  I was truly interested in this discussion so I apologize that I'm posting and running, I will try to read/respond when I get a chance.  

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think anyone can take away your constitutional right. However, the second amendment doesn't give you the right to carry your guns, only gives the right to own them. The first amendment gives you the right to exercise your religion. Period. There are no stipulations on when or where or how, it just is.
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM
I don't see how not being able to pray at a certain location is an infringement. If I say you can't pray at my house or I'll throw you out, you aren't less a Christian. You haven't been prevented from worship in general. And the government surely hasn't stepped in so all rights are still intact.

Quoting kailu1835: I don't think anyone can take away your constitutional right. However, the second amendment doesn't give you the right to carry your guns, only gives the right to own them. The first amendment gives you the right to exercise your religion. Period. There are no stipulations on when or where or how, it just is.
MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM

In the case of a business I think the owner should be able to decide.     They want customers.     They have to weigh what interest will keep the most customers happy and coming back.     It's not going to be an easy decision for them in some cases though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)