Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

UPDATE on man show in Walmart - Grand jury declines charges against police - video shown at press conference

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM
  • 341 Replies
1 mom liked this

UPDATE

"marine" that called 911 changes story...oh and he's not a marine....

He's, like, pointing it at people," Ritchie told the dispatcher. Later that evening, after John Crawford III had been shot dead by one of the police officers who hurried to the scene in Beavercreek, Ritchie repeated to reporters: "He was pointing at people. Children walking by."

One month later, Ritchie puts it differently. "At no point did he shoulder the rifle and point it at somebody," the 24-year-old said, in an interview with the Guardian. He maintained that Crawford was "waving it around", which attorneys for Crawford's family deny.

Ritchie told several reporters after the 5 August shooting that he was an "ex-marine". When confronted with his seven-week service record, however, he confirmed that he had been quickly thrown out of the US marine corps in 2008 after being declared a "fraudulent enlistment", over what he maintains was simply a mixup over his paperwork.

**********************UPDATE

A grand jury declined to indict two police officers involved in the fatal shooting of a black man carrying a toy gun at an Ohio Walmart store.

One of the officers shot 22-year-old John Crawford at the store Aug. 5 after a 911 caller reported he was pointing what appeared to be an assault rifle at other shoppers at the Beavercreek retailer.

Grand jurors heard evidence from 18 witnesses Wednesday in the special hearing convened by Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine, who refused to release surveillance video from the incident prior to the hearing.

Police said Crawford refused to drop the air rifle, but his father and the family's attorney were permitted to view an excerpt of the video - which they said directly contradicted the official story.

They said the video showed Crawford talking on a cell phone while leaning on the toy rifle like a cane when officers approached from behind.

The family's attorney said it did not appear that Crawford ever heard their commands to drop the toy weapon before he was "shot on sight."

Assistant Hamilton County, Ohio, Prosecutor Mark Piepmeier presented the case as a special prosecutor.

He showed portions of the video during a news conference announcing the grand jury decision Wednesday, with audio from the 911 call synchronized with Crawford's actions inside the store.

Crawford never waved the toy gun or appeared to point the weapon at anyone, but he did walk briefly with the air rifle resting on his shoulder.

Piepmeier said the 911 caller was "trying to be a good citizen" by reporting the perceived threat, and the prosecutor said Crawford likely became distracted by his own cell phone call and began carrying the gun carelessly.

He said both Sgt. David Darkow and Officer Sean Williams underwent department-mandated training on active shooters in July, saying the training required them to immediately "neutralize the threat" in such cases.

The special prosecutor said grand jurors were tasked with determining officers acted reasonably against a perceived threat.

"(Crawford) did not commit a crime that day, he didn't do anything wrong, but at the same time the police officers have be judged on everything they have," Piepmeier said. "All I have to say about the situation is that it's a tragedy."

He expressed sympathy for Crawford's family, relatives of a woman who suffered a medical emergency after witnessing the shooting and died, and both officers.

"They took the life of someone that didn't need to die, that's all we have to say about this case," Piepmeier said.

Watch surveillance video of the shooting posted online by WHIO-TV:

by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parrishsky
by Maxfield on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM
20 moms liked this

This man was shopping for air guns in a store that sells guns and they shoot him? I feel like we live in an insane asylum. Sadly, it must be the color of his skin. smdh.

mom2bahandcch
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM
The shooting sucks.
mom2bahandcch
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:07 PM
3 moms liked this
He had a pregnant woman and a girlfriend...?
Mommabearbergh
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:12 PM
6 moms liked this
I feel like there is pieces missing
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:12 PM

it seems like they are saying there is video of the shooting.

It will be interesting to see

Quoting parrishsky:

This man was shopping for air guns in a store that sells guns and they shoot him? I feel like we live in an insane asylum. Sadly, it must be the color of his skin. smdh.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:14 PM

There are, the news just confirmed that it wasn't a real gun

it is sounding like there is video of the incident..think they will release it?

Quoting Mommabearbergh: I feel like there is pieces missing

LuvmyAiden
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:15 PM
5 moms liked this

Even air guns come in cardboard boxes. He couldn't have just picked that up and been holding it. I'm not saying the police were justified but there is more to this story for sure!

jllcali
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM
How sad for this man's family. It sounds like an unjustified shooting and I don't blame the family for getting people involved to help.

I wonder if the NRA will get involved, as this man was exercising his 2nd ammendment rights to shop for a firearm in a store that sold firearms.
DawnPratt23
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM
I read it twice and got the same huh. 2 kids with one on the way, two bsby mommas. I'll have to see what the video shows.

Quoting mom2bahandcch: He had a pregnant woman and a girlfriend...?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerdmom2twins
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM
7 moms liked this

I feel like there is more to this story than we're getting...mostly because guns like that typically come in a box.  I'm not saying either party is right or wrong, just that I don't feel like we have the whole story from either side.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN