Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama to Iraq: 'America Is Coming to Help'

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:09 PM
  • 35 Replies

Obama to Iraq: 'America Is Coming to Help'

August 7, 2014 The United States has authorized targeted airstrikes and carried out a humanitarian operation in northern Iraq, President Obama said Thursday night. 

The aid mission dropped by aircraft 5,300 gallons of fresh drinking water and 8,000 meals ready-to-eat to thousands of Iraquis who have been stranded atop a mountain, driven there by attacks from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS). 

Obama said he directed the military to "take target strikes" against ISIS to prevent the terrorist group from advancing in Iraq's city of Erbil and threatening U.S. personnel there. "We plan to stand vigilant and take action if they threaten our facilities anywhere in Iraq, including the consulate in Erbil and embassy in Baghdad," the president said.

"Earlier this week, one Iraqi in the area cried to the world, 'there is no one coming to help,'" Obama said. "Well, today America is coming to help."

He added: "We can act, carefully and responsibly to prevent a potential act of genocide."

Obama addressed a war-weary America directly. "I know that many of you are rightly concerned about any American military action in Iraq, even limited strikes like these," he said. Therefore, he continued, "as commander-in-chief, I will not allow the United States to be dragged into fighting another war in Iraq, so as we support Iraqis as they take the fight to these terrorists, American combat troops will not be returning to fight in Iraq, because there is no American military solution to the larger crisis in Iraq."

Secretary of State John Kerry said in a statement Thursday night that ISIS's mission "bear[s] all the warning signs and hallmarks of genocide." "For anyone who needed a wake-up call, this is it," he said.

Earlier, a New York Times report, which cited Kurdish officials, said American military forces launched airstrikes on at least two targets from the ISIS on Thursday night. The Pentagondenied any such action.

White House officials are making the rounds by phone, informing members of Congress about their plans on the crisis, according to CNN.

CNN reported earlier that U.S. forces had begun dropping humanitarian aid by air over northwestern Iraq, where tens of thousands of the country's religious minorities are stranded.

U.S. officials tell NBC News that U.S. aircraft are standing by to defend refugees and American resources using airstrikes. The military, they say, has "lined" up ISIS targets for strikes, and U.S. forces have their "fingers on the trigger."

About 40,000 of Iraqi Yazidis—adherents of a religion that blends Islam, Christianity, and Zoroastrianism—have been trapped on a mountaintop in northern Iraq by ISIS forces since Monday. More than a dozen have already died of thirst.

A top Kurdish commander implored the U.S. to intervene Thursday. "The Americans keep saying they will help us," he said. "Well, if they plan to help they had better do it now."

On CNN Thursday night, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said of ISIS: "If you believe these people are a threat to our homeland, which I do, there's no way to deal with them without American airpower."

The senator warned of what could come later if the U.S. doesn't act now. "If we do not contain this now and hit them using airpower, this goes on six months and they go into Lebanon and then Jordan, you're probably going to have to have boots on the ground," Graham said. "Nobody wants that."

This story is breaking and will be updated

http://www.nationaljournal.com/defense/did-the-u-s-just-bomb-iraq-20140807

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
latashac
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Noooooo wtf!!!!!!! Hate that he is doing this. We nedd to get out and stay out of Iraq. Do we really need MORE on our plate right now????
VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I'm just waiting for everyone to blame this on Bush.

Quoting latashac: Noooooo wtf!!!!!!! Hate that he is doing this. We nedd to get out and stay out of Iraq. Do we really need MORE on our plate right now????

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

latashac
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Well since you brought it up. We wouldn't have to drop bombs on ISIS if Bush wasn't hell bent on overthrowing Sadam.

But you already knew that.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting latashac: Noooooo wtf!!!!!!! Hate that he is doing this. We nedd to get out and stay out of Iraq. Do we really need MORE on our plate right now????

momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Bump.
VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Are you talking about long dead SADDAM? Who has no involvment with ISIS's current atrocities?

You DO realize that Bush and Obama are seperate people, right? With very different ways of representing our country, yes?
You DO realize that Saddam has no influence with the current ISIS terrorist group, right?

Your garbage of a "point" stinks. 

Quoting latashac: Well since you brought it up. We wouldn't have to drop bombs on ISIS if Bush wasn't hell bent on overthrowing Sadam. But you already knew that.
Quoting VooDooB:

- Iga

latashac
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:04 PM
What I DO know is that ISIS wasn't a problem for us while Sadam was around.

They are very different BUT this war always had consequences and to ignore that is short sighted at best.

Ignoring the past doesn't make your "point" credible. But silly me, I forgot the world didn't spin before Obama and events leading up to now are figments of my imagination.

Quoting VooDooB:

Are you talking about long dead SADDAM? Who has no involvment with ISIS's current atrocities?

You DO realize that Bush and Obama are seperate people, right? With very different ways of representing our country, yes?You DO realize that Saddam has no influence with the current ISIS terrorist group, right?

Quoting latashac: Well since you brought it up. We wouldn't have to drop bombs on ISIS if Bush wasn't hell bent on overthrowing Sadam.

Quoting VooDooB:

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:13 PM

ISIS didn't exist when Saddam was alive.

Bush has nothing to do with Obama's decisions now.

Quoting latashac: What I DO know is that ISIS wasn't a problem for us while Sadam was around. They are very different BUT this war always had consequences and to ignore that is short sighted at best. Ignoring the past doesn't make your "point" credible. But silly me, I forgot the world didn't spin before Obama and events leading up to now are figments of my imagination.
Quoting VooDooB:

You DO realize that Bush and Obama are seperate people, right? With very different ways of representing our country, yes?You DO realize that Saddam has no influence with the current ISIS terrorist group, right?

Quoting latashac: Well since you brought it up. We wouldn't have to drop bombs on ISIS if Bush wasn't hell bent on overthrowing Sadam. But you already knew that.
Quoting VooDooB:

- Iga

latashac
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:25 PM
If you will look back to my first reply, I didn't mention Bush. You did in your reply. Still doesn't change the facts or history.

The conflict has been going on between the 2 sides for a lot longer than both of our lifetimes. ISIS is merely an extention grouo. They have always been there. They have just fashioned their own ideology. Either way it is still something that we should have no part of.

Quoting VooDooB:

ISIS didn't exist when Saddam was alive.

Bush has nothing to do with Obama's decisions now.

Quoting latashac: What I DO know is that ISIS wasn't a problem for us while Sadam was around.

They are very different BUT this war always had consequences and to ignore that is short sighted at best.

Ignoring the past doesn't make your "point" credible. But silly me, I forgot the world didn't spin before Obama and events leading up to now are figments of my imagination.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting latashac: Well since you brought it up. We wouldn't have to drop bombs on ISIS if Bush wasn't hell bent on overthrowing Sadam.

Quoting VooDooB:

momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:26 PM

There will always be some type of war in the middle east.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN