Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The most significant thing happening in the world

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:27 AM
  • 18 Replies
I have developed a hankering for CEHT. There seems to be a lull....

What do you consider to be the most significant thing occurring in the world, and why?

What are you following obsessively in the news?

What "breaking news" stories have you most intrigued, but maybe have gone silent all of a sudden?

Feel free to resurrect stories that suddenly went cold (like MH370 and the immigration crisis).

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:31 AM
I've mentioned before I want to know how the guy in Georgia gets punished for demanding to see someone's gun permit and then drawing his gun when the other person didn't comply. I wasn't that guy masse an example of. By all rights, blood should have been spilled that day and we're all lucky the second guy was excessively cool. I can't find anything beyond the initial reports.
P.S.love autocorrect
sj2014
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:36 AM
I'm not familiar with this at all. So, the one guy asked to see the other guy's permit, then drew his own gun on him?

Quoting AdrianneHill: I've mentored before. I wasn't too know how the guy in Georgia gets punished for demanding to see someone's gun permit and then drawing his gun when the other person didn't comply. I wasn't that guy masse an example of. By all rights, blood should have been spilled that day and we're all lucky the second guy was excessively cool. I can't find anything beyond the initial reports
sj2014
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't stop thinking about MH370. I keep thinking it was somehow intercepted to be used as a weapon by a terrorist group.

I wonder why the immigration issue went cold so fast.

I cannot even believe we are dropping bombs in Iraq, and we have our hands in so many wars in the middle east....that most Americans don't even understand our involvement in (myself included).

But for me, I am most concerned with how things are playing out with Russia. Putin is being backed into a corner. How does any narcissist respond to that?

I'm old enough to remember the "crawl under your classroom desk" drills....
AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah it was bad. Or should have been bad. Old guy sees someone with gun. Demands to see their paperwork and then gets promptly ignored by other weapon holder. Original old guy gets angry and removes weapon from holster, demanding to see paperwork. Second man leaves store and calls police.
Oh that could have gone so damn wrong and he needs to have an example made of him. I've already mentioned elsewhere I think the second guy has earned a blow job.

Quoting sj2014: I'm not familiar with this at all. So, the one guy asked to see the other guy's permit, then drew his own gun on him?
Quoting AdrianneHill: I've mentored before. I wasn't too know how the guy in Georgia gets punished for demanding to see someone's gun permit and then drawing his gun when the other person didn't comply. I wasn't that guy masse an example of. By all rights, blood should have been spilled that day and we're all lucky the second guy was excessively cool. I can't find anything beyond the initial reports
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:35 AM

Quoting sj2014:

What do you consider to be the most significant thing occurring in the world

Big data.

Quoting sj2014:

why?

Making a computer with a lot of computing power, and just one hard disk's worth of data, act in a smart fashion is very difficult.

It is much easier to fake it, though, if you have access to lots and lots of data.    Take Google Translate, for example.   Their translation software isn't much better than previous attempts to make translators.   The difference is the amount of data.

The more data, the more general purpose you can make the computer.    Big data is what is letting computers do natural language parsing not just of text, but also audio and images, in real time.

Self-scan supermarket checkouts are replacing many human assistants.

Internet banking and hole-in-the-wall cash points are replacing many human bank cashiers.

Smart gas pumps are replacing humans who stand there and fill your car for you.

Farm hands who pick crops, stevadors in warehouses, and many other repetitive manual jobs are going to be mostly replaced, in a similar fashion, when big data enables expert systems to move around a 3D environment by sight and object recognition alone.

This is going to have the same effect upon the job market as the agricultural revolution, and the industrial revolution did before them.    Only, it is going to happen faster.

And, while it happens, there's going to be a lot of disruption.   High unemployment.   A bigger divide between the haves and have nots.

And, because of globalisation, the effects are not going to be limited to just one country.

In particular, the ramifications for education and scut work are going to play havock in countries where women are kept uneducated and doing scut work.   And that inequality is a key factor in how fast those countries get rich, their population growth rate, and a number of other factors that contribute to war, strife, disaster, etc.

And that's before you start talking about how big data is also behind the changing balance of privacy between governments, companies and the population.

Long term, it also has implications for the speed of scientific research, when combined with semantic markup and open labbooks.   A bit like the discovery of the telescope.

Further reading:

sj2014
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM
We are doomed!!!

Lol....I made the mistake of reading this last night after a middle of the night feeding, then couldn't sleep!

I ended up on a nostradamus websites...then onto reading a website about Ezekiel being all about an encounter with a UFO and aliens. All because I recalled a prophecy related to sand, which was eventually related to silicon.

Anyhow, what a night...haha.

I had not heard of big data before, but it makes sense that is where we are headed :0/

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting sj2014:What do you consider to be the most significant thing occurring in the world

Big data.

Quoting sj2014:why?

Making a computer with a lot of computing power, and just one hard disk's worth of data, act in a smart fashion is very difficult.

It is much easier to fake it, though, if you have access to lots and lots of data.    Take Google Translate, for example.   Their translation software isn't much better than previous attempts to make translators.   The difference is the amount of data.

The more data, the more general purpose you can make the computer.    Big data is what is letting computers do natural language parsing not just of text, but also audio and images, in real time.

Self-scan supermarket checkouts are replacing many human assistants.

Internet banking and hole-in-the-wall cash points are replacing many human bank cashiers.

Smart gas pumps are replacing humans who stand there and fill your car for you.
Farm hands who pick crops, stevadors in warehouses, and many other repetitive manual jobs are going to be mostly replaced, in a similar fashion, when big data enables expert systems to move around a 3D environment by sight and object recognition alone.
This is going to have the same effect upon the job market as the agricultural revolution, and the industrial revolution did before them.    Only, it is going to happen faster.
And, while it happens, there's going to be a lot of disruption.   High unemployment.   A bigger divide between the haves and have nots.
And, because of globalisation, the effects are not going to be limited to just one country.
In particular, the ramifications for education and scut work are going to play havock in countries where women are kept uneducated and doing scut work.   And that inequality is a key factor in how fast those countries get rich, their population growth rate, and a number of other factors that contribute to war, strife, disaster, etc.
And that's before you start talking about how big data is also behind the changing balance of privacy between governments, companies and the population.
Long term, it also has implications for the speed of scientific research, when combined with semantic markup and open labbooks.   A bit like the discovery of the telescope.
Further reading:
sj2014
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:26 PM
I consider it a possibility that a terrorist organization has MH370 for use in a future attack. I don't believe at all that it is in the Southern Indian ocean.

I think we are going to have our third world war and possibly attacks in America in what remains of 2014.

Those are my prophecies....lol :0)
sj2014
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Has anyone read Today's Prophecies by the ex marine bitten by a black mamba?
idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I tend to see our biggest issues being our heavily flawed human condition such as our continued glorification and justification of violence, especially against those who are unable to fight or flee.  Its especially frustrating to me because as much as we are ruled by our animalistic baser emotions, we are cognizant enough to know what we are doing, to make a choice to either treat others badly or with empathy and compassion.

War sucks, as does domestic violence, oppression, abuse, withholding of resources, causing others to suffer.  I really want it all to go away.  So everyone needs to stop NOW.

Okay......NOW.

Okay, lets try again......how about NOW?

See....its hopeless.

StarburstKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Fukushima I think should still be in the top 3, if not the number 1 thing that should be on every countries governments list of things to fix/look at/etc,

No. 2 should be the Ebola out break.

In the states they need to look at the earth quake swarms namely in Oklahoma and Ohio.

I think many eyes and ears should be on Russia. I don't think ISIS/Muslim brotherhood should be the only concern. Yes things are bad currently with Israel and Gaza but there are also other things that need attention.

I do think there needs to be a collaborative team working together from different countries for flight MH370

I think that the mysterious hum and the one picked up in the ocean needs to be looked at. Maybe there is a correlation betwee them and the increase in various earth quake hot spots around the world where they used to hardly get any.

Alongside that, the holes opening up in Siberia should also be looked at more extensively. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)