Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How far would you go?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM
  • 47 Replies

My niece told me yesterday she was trying to get in touch with a friend she hadn't seen all summer. Turns out the girl was super depressed about a boy and started acting out sexually and with drugs. Her mom had her taken in the middle of the night and sent to Colorado to one of those rehabilitation camps.

My niece was so angry for her friend and asked me if I would ever have done something like that. I told her I would have done whatever I thought necessary to save my child.

I am hoping she comes home in a better place. Seems she will miss the first two weeks of school.

How far would you go to save your child?  Is a camp like this overboard?

“Life they say, can turn on a dime. And in a world that constantly shifts beneath our feet, the only thing we can know for certain is how we feel, the love we have, the fear we hide from, the pain we push away. Give it a voice, and the rewards are piece of mind and a peaceful heart.”
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lhiannan
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't send my kids to a camp. Many have a bad reputation for abusing kids.
VooDooB
by The Corruptor on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know a lot about camps like this for kids. However I am a big believer in therapy.

Debmomto2girls
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I would never send my kids to a camp.

In your description it sounds like this is something she started doing recently. I would absolutely do therapy, rehabilitation facility, etc. first before a camp would even begin to enter my mind. But, like I said, I would never send my girls to a camp.

Debmomto2girls
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I agree. I have never heard a good story about these camps.

Quoting lhiannan: I wouldn't send my kids to a camp. Many have a bad reputation for abusing kids.

HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:02 PM
I would never send my kid "away"

I would consider in patient therapy/treatment but only in a facility close to me where I could check on him/her. I have heard all kinds of stories of abuse, neglect, etc
Bonnie_
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Yep I would  do it.  Whatever  it takes.

Elkamelka
by KayGee on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I am more of this thought. I would check the camp thoroughly, a thousand times over, first.

Quoting Bonnie_:

Yep I would  do it.  Whatever  it takes.

“Life they say, can turn on a dime. And in a world that constantly shifts beneath our feet, the only thing we can know for certain is how we feel, the love we have, the fear we hide from, the pain we push away. Give it a voice, and the rewards are piece of mind and a peaceful heart.”
momtoscott
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Never a camp.  I have read way too many negative things about them.  

I don't know what I would do if I had a child who was acting out so severely that I couldn't handle it.    

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:54 PM

If the situation warranted it, I absolutely would.

I have a very dear friend who works with such a camp.  He is the one who picks the children up and takes them there, he takes part in counseling with them as well.

Momniscient
by Obama licker on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM
I used to work for an outdoor therapy camp. It worked wonders with many many kids. Land it absolutely was not abusive.

It wouldn't be a first resort.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)