Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Riots in Missouri

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM
  • 396 Replies

Ferguson riots: Clashes, looting in Missouri following vigil for teen shot dead by police

A day of protests and vigils Sunday over the death of Michael Brown, a black teenager who was killed following an altercation with a Ferguson police officer, turned violent overnight with reports of riots and looting.

#FergusonShooting: Outrage as Missouri police shoot and kill ‘unarmed’ black teen

A gathering of mourners at the shooting site Sunday night for Brown, 18, who was to begin his first day in college today, quickly turned violent as people struggled to understand how police could shoot an unarmed teenager in broad daylight. 

"We are currently experiencing a riot," a Ferguson police dispatcher said.

The sound of gunfire was reported in the neighborhood late Sunday.

About 150 officers in riot gear from throughout St. Louis County, along with canine units and a SWAT team, were sent to the area, a dispatcher for the St. Louis County Police Department said.

Hundreds of demonstrators - as many as 1,000 at the peak of the protests, according to police - gathered at the site of the shooting on Saturday, some of them shouting "Kill the police" and "Don't Shoot," a county police spokesman said, as quoted by the Chicago Tribune.

There was no immediate word on injuries.

Although authorities are still investigating the incident, St. Louis Police Chief Jon Belmar said a struggle between Brown and a police officer somehow ensued inside of a police cruiser.

"It is our understanding at this point in the investigation, that within the police car, there was a struggle over the officer's weapon," Belmar told a news conference on Sunday.

Police cruisers in Ferguson, a town of some 23,000 people, are not equipped with dash cameras, which would have proven valuable to investigators, nor are there surveillance cameras at the apartment complex where the incident occurred.

Police officials will be hard pressed to explain why the victim was reportedly shot eight times in the course of the altercation.

Brown's mother told local TV channel KSDK that her son was ready to go to college and was visiting his grandmother when the incident took place.

"He didn't bother nobody," she said. "They told me how many times my son was shot - eight," she added.

The officer involved in the incident, who has not been identified, has been described as a six-year veteran and has been put on administrative leave, Belmar told reporters.

The shooting has brought to the surface lingering tensions between “black residents of North County and a predominantly white Ferguson police force,” the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Meanwhile, officials have not disclosed the race of the police officer who killed Michael Brown.

St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay tweeted Sunday saying he stands with County Executive Charlie Dooley in his call "for a full and open inquiry into yesterday's shooting in Ferguson."

Meanwhile, Americans continue to debate exactly what is it about their society that makes such incidences increasingly commonplace. Sahar Aziz, Associate Professor of Law, told RT that part of the problem stems from US police approaching problems from an "egotistical" perspective.

"I think much of the brutality comes from a cultural problem where police officers have an egotistical approach and a power structure where they can get away with almost anything because they are 'the police,'" she said.

The St. Louis County office of the civil rights group NAACP has said it wants the FBI to examine the case, with many in the community telling media that police in too many incidences use racial profiling when confronting individuals on the street.

USA: New Black Panthers join protests against police in Ferguson (video in link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8XckAaEiys&list=UU5aeU5hk31cLzq_sAExLVWg

Looting begins: Video in link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwOh6oRCww&list=UU5aeU5hk31cLzq_sAExLVWg

Twitter feed:

http://twitchy.com/2014/08/10/and-the-riots-have-started-protest-escalates-in-ferguson-mo-pics-vine-video/

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM
15 moms liked this

I've never understood the whole rioting and looting thing. Vandalism and crime - pretty sure there are better ways to get your point across. Demonstrating safely is a right in America. Why does it end up like this?

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:25 AM
4 moms liked this

Let's not jump to any conclusions on the people looting and vandalizing business, as I'm sure all involved are good children....

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:35 AM
7 moms liked this

I won't condone rioting.  They are hurting innocents people and businesses. I think it is years of tension that erupts and than the gang mentality kicks in. From reading the article, tensions have been mounting for some time. It is easy for things to erupt when in a large crowd of people who are frustrated.

The police have a lot of authority.  The residents who are frustrated probably feel they have no recourse because of their lack of resources and ability to fight this authority.

This could have happened but if not, it is a shame they never have a third party mediate the tensions between the community and police department. Someone from the police department could have reached out to the community's leaders to try and resolve tensions.

I know it has been done here where I live with a good amount of success.

Quoting VooDooB:

I've never understood the whole rioting and looting thing. Vandalism and crime - pretty sure there are better ways to get your point across. Demonstrating safely is a right in America. Why does it end up like this?

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this

This has made me sick to my stomach since I am less than 30 minutes from the incident. The looting has moved all the way to my area from what I have been seeing on Facebook. 

I don't understand this at all, especially when the family of Mike Brown has asked for peace. I am praying people get clear heads this morning and that the investigation will satisfy the community.

Clearly, the anger is strong there; burning down their own community seems pointless.

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Let's not jump to any conclusions on the people looting and vandalizing business, as I'm sure all involved are good children....

True dat!

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Vandalism-looting-after-vigil-for-Missouri-man-270709641.html?tab=gallery&c=y&img=0

mommieof38829
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:43 AM
4 moms liked this
I feel bad for the loss of a young person. But all this nonsense of looting other folks property because you are mad doesn't make sense. These people had nothing to do with it.
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Do you every have anything to contribute?

Quoting momtimesx4:

It's gotta be da shoes

http://www.kmov.com/special-coverage-001/Reports-Ferguson-protests-turn-violent-270697451.html

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:46 AM
4 moms liked this

You are really ignorant.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

True dat!

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Vandalism-looting-after-vigil-for-Missouri-man-270709641.html?tab=gallery&c=y&img=0

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

True dat!

This QT was burned down last night. I don't condone any of this, but being flip about this situation isn't helpful or warranted. I hope these looters are recognized and arrested.

“Life they say, can turn on a dime. And in a world that constantly shifts beneath our feet, the only thing we can know for certain is how we feel, the love we have, the fear we hide from, the pain we push away. Give it a voice, and the rewards are piece of mind and a peaceful heart.”
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN