Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why Muslims hate terrorism more

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM
  • 50 Replies
2 moms liked this

Why Muslims Hate Terrorism More

Muslim groups and leaders are constantly denouncing terrorism, but most Americans simply never see it. Answer? Make sure they see it.

Here we go again. Another so-called Islamic terrorist group, ISIS, is committing horrific atrocities. And Muslims are again called upon to denounce them.

How can anyone believe that small groups of terrorists accurately represent Islam or Muslims worldwide? If, let’s say, half of the 1.5 billion Muslims in the world were killing innocent people like ISIS is, it would be pretty hard for me to deny that those actions represent the faith on some level.

But we don’t see that. What do we see? ISIS slaughtering Muslims on a daily basis. ISIS is also despicably attacking Christians and of course the Yazidis, but the reality is that over the past five years, close to 90 percent of the victims of these “Islamic” terrorists are Muslims. ISIS even killed a Muslim professor in Iraq who publicly opposed the group’s persecution of Christians. Denounce them? I need to be protected from them.

Despite this reality, I, along with Muslims worldwide, have consistently condemned terrorism over the years waged in the name of Islam. We saw this after the 2013 Boston marathon bombing, as Muslims leaders across the United States spoke out. A few months ago, when Boko Haram kidnapped the young girls in Nigeria, Muslims again universally denounced their action, calling them “blasphemous” for claiming their actions were based on the tenets of Islam.

And once again with ISIS we have seen universal condemnation by Muslims leaders in the United States and abroad. For example, the two biggest Muslim-American groups, ISNA and CAIR, unequivocally denounced ISIS. CAIR’s statement notes in part: “American Muslims view the actions of ISIS as un-Islamic and morally repugnant. No religion condones the murder of civilians, the beheading of religious scholars or the desecration of houses of worship.”

In the United Kingdom, 100 Sunni and Shiite Imams have joined together to condemn ISIS. Muslim leaders in Indonesia and Turkey did the same. And the head of the Arab League stated that the league “strongly denounced” ISIS and its attacks on Christians in Iraq.

Despite this avalanche of condemnations, it’s clearly not reaching—or not persuading—many of my fellow Americans. In fact, a Zogby poll released just last month found alarmingly that the favorability ratings for Muslims in the United States had fallen from 36 percent in 2010 to 27 percent.

What can we do to reach out to more of our fellow Americans to make it clear we despise these terrorists and they don’t represent Islam?

This is distressing but understandable. When people see only negative images of Muslims in the media, they will naturally believe the worst.

Compounding this problem is that Muslims are small minority group in the United States, totaling about 2 percent of our population. Indeed, a July Pew poll found that only 38 percent of Americans personally knew a Muslim. This lack of exposure also contributes to the negative views of Muslims because people don’t have personal experiences to offset the negative media images.

This brings me to a question I often ask myself: What can we do to reach out to more of our fellow Americans to make it clear we despise these terrorists and they don’t represent Islam?

There’s no easy answer. And this issue is made more complicated by the fact that within the American Muslim community there’s a difference of opinion on how to approach it. Some say we should publicly increase condemnations of the terrorists. Other say we already have, so what can we do more? Another faction says why should we denounce people who we have zero connection with? We don’t call on other religious groups in the United States to denounce their worst examples.

My suggestion is a multi-faceted approach. One is increasing the interfaith work that many in our community employ in hopes of reaching more people of other faiths. I’d love to start an “Adopt a Muslim” program so everyone can have a Muslim friend!

But my experiences lead me to believe that the key is the media. It possesses the power to both humanize and demonize minority groups. Plus, it enables smaller minority groups to share their own story on their own terms with millions of people across the country.

In fact, on Monday, I witnessed firsthand the power of an increased presence of Muslims in our media. A friend of mine, Rick Ungar, was guest-hosting the SirusXM radio show “Stand up with Pete Dominick,” on which I frequently appear and sometimes guest-host. During the show, Ungar commented, in a well-intentioned manner, that he didn’t see enough Muslims denouncing terrorism.

After his statement, he received immediate pushback on Twitter from listeners who had heard me and other Muslim guests on the show denouncing terrorism numerous times in the past. A few minutes later, Ungar reached out to me to call in to the show. I did, and we again discussed the efforts and struggles of Muslims in denouncing terrorism effectively. But if Muslims had not in the past been guests on that show, Unger’s statement would likely have gone unchallenged, further perpetuating the narrative that Muslims are not speaking out.

To me, it’s simple: The more American-Muslims in the media, the more people will see that Muslims are frankly like most other Americans.  We simply want to raise our families, keep our jobs, take a summer vacation, and if lucky, put away a little money each year.

Now comes the hard part: How to convince media outlets to be more inclusive when it comes to Muslim-Americans? Some already have been very embracing, especially online media publications that have made it a priority to present diverse voices because it yields content that’s both more nuanced and distinctive. But on TV news, both network and cable, there are few Muslims who are a regular part of that media landscape. Take a moment and count the Muslim anchors or Muslim network contributors you’ve seen. (That shouldn’t take long.)

I’m hopeful we will see changes in the near future because there are now more American Muslims working in the media than ever before. Until then, I will continue to do my part by vocally denouncing those who claim they are acting in the name of my faith. Not because I think they in any way represent Islam or because I think it will make my life easier. I do it because I don’t want the next generation of American-Muslims to grow up in a country where they are discriminated against or viewed as less than fully American simply because of their faith.

by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsbrand
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM
4 moms liked this
Where I stand on this is pretty simple, the people of West borough baptist don't represent Christians and terrorists do not represent Muslims. In my eyes terrorists come fromany different faiths, ethnic and social backgrounds. It really makes me sad to see so many good, kind and pious people lumped in with these psychopaths.
Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Bump!
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM
11 moms liked this
Here's what I see all the time: a Muslim speaking out against terrorism and a bunch of people jumping on them asking them why no Muslims are speaking out against terrorism.
You can't hear if you aren't listening.
crystalplus1
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont judge all of any religion due to a group of the biggest nut jobs in that religion, No God would approve of what is going on With ISIS.What god would approve of the slaughter of children and babies? Just as i don't think any god would Accept The west borough Baptist group. All religion has its nuts, ISIS is nothing but evil.

Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Living in the U.S. I think about how when the Westboro Baptist church tried to make a mockery of the funerals of fallen soldiers and veterans from all parts of the country, stepped up and put themselves between the processions and the congregants. I see where when police are being unfair to citizens other people start filming to get documentation and give outcry for their rights. When poor homeless people are being ousted from what little they own, there are demonstrations against those actions. Not to bash Muslims really... but it does me make me wonder... When all this ethnic cleansing is going on, where Muslims are saying convert to Islam or we will torture and kill you and your babies in the cruelest ways... when Sharia Law is enacted on men, women and children and BABIES. Where are the 'good peaceful Muslims' ? I am told that only a small fraction of Muslims are radical and they don't represent all the good peaceful Muslims. Yet we hear nothing from them. Why do they NOT lift a had a finger or even a voice in protest? If you 'good & peaceful Muslims' SAY you don't agree with sickening brutality yet you won't even speak out in protest against it then I am left to believe you are all a bunch of liars or pussies.

alleaeon
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I think one of the problems here is that muslim is used universally for middle easterners. There is no distinction between different sects of islamic religion. I think you are totally right about the media's influence. As long as the majority of the the message is "they are muslim" there will be a problem for middle easterners of any religion/group. As for what ISIS is doing, I think to myself, how can any religious group/individual think their God wants this? Thereby leading me to the conclusion that they are what you say, a small group of terrorists.

alleaeon
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
You....can't be serious. Google image search and read some articles about what is going on in Iraq right now. They are raping and beheading children for f#$@s sake and you want to see some people with no fire power, so little resources that they had to flee to mountains (where their children are dying from thrist, btw) stand up to them!?

You see OP, you can't get too hung up on what everyone thinks bc most are like this ignorant drone right here: put five seconds of thought into some biased, low brow news cast and think your opinion means something!!!

Quoting Bonnie_:

Living
in the U.S. I think about how when the Westboro Baptist church
tried to make a mockery of the funerals of fallen soldiers and
veterans from all parts of the country, stepped up and put
themselves between the processions and the congregants. I see where
when police are being unfair to citizens other people start
filming to get documentation and give outcry for their
rights. When poor homeless people are being ousted from what
little they own, there are demonstrations against those actions.
Not to bash Muslims really... but it does me make me wonder...
When all this ethnic cleansing is going on, where Muslims are
saying convert to Islam or we will torture and kill you and your
babies in the cruelest ways... when Sharia Law is enacted on men,
women and children and BABIES. Where are the 'good peaceful Muslims' ?
I am told that only a small fraction of Muslims are radical
and they don't represent all the good peaceful Muslims. Yet we hear
nothing from them. Why do they NOT lift a had a finger or even a
voice in protest? If you 'good & peaceful Muslims' SAY you
don't agree with sickening brutality yet you won't even speak out in
protest against it then I am left to believe you are all a bunch
of liars or pussies.

alleaeon
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:51 AM
What, Wendy Williams didn't go into this issue on hot topics? Lol

Quoting stacymomof2: Here's what I see all the time: a Muslim speaking out against terrorism and a bunch of people jumping on them asking them why no Muslims are speaking out against terrorism.
You can't hear if you aren't listening.
Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting alleaeon: You....can't be serious. Google image search and read some articles about what is going on in Iraq right now. They are raping and beheading children for f#$@s sake and you want to see some people with no fire power, so little resources that they had to flee to mountains (where their children are dying from thrist, btw) stand up to them!? You see OP, you can't get too hung up on what everyone thinks bc most are like this ignorant drone right here: put five seconds of thought into some biased, low brow news cast and think your opinion means something!!!
Quoting Bonnie_:

Living in the U.S. I think about how when the Westboro Baptist church tried to make a mockery of the funerals of fallen soldiers and veterans from all parts of the country, stepped up and put themselves between the processions and the congregants. I see where when police are being unfair to citizens other people start filming to get documentation and give outcry for their rights. When poor homeless people are being ousted from what little they own, there are demonstrations against those actions. Not to bash Muslims really... but it does me make me wonder... When all this ethnic cleansing is going on, where Muslims are saying convert to Islam or we will torture and kill you and your babies in the cruelest ways... when Sharia Law is enacted on men, women and children and BABIES. Where are the 'good peaceful Muslims' ? I am told that only a small fraction of Muslims are radical and they don't represent all the good peaceful Muslims. Yet we hear nothing from them. Why do they NOT lift a had a finger or even a voice in protest? If you 'good & peaceful Muslims' SAY you don't agree with sickening brutality yet you won't even speak out in protest against it then I am left to believe you are all a bunch of liars or pussies.

Maybe  you  didn't  read  that correctly...    It  is The Christians  and NON  Muslims  who  are being  persecuted.  Do  you  understand that?      You  cannot  tell me  that  ONLY  ISIS  had  any  weapons.   and  ya  know what?  The  terrorists   are supposed  to be only  a SMALL  fraction   of Muslims  right???   My  point  is there is strength  in  numbers... so  where  are all the  peaceful  Muslims?     You  know... the  ones  who   say  they  don't  agree with the terrorists?     Why aren't  they coming  to the aid  of  Israel and the  persecuted  NON Muslims?     Like I said   there  is strength in  numbers  so  if they  REALLY  wanted to they could stop this.      Their silence      is   of  that  of   liars  or pussies.    Wear your badge.

alleaeon
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
It's possible that the societal, cultural and plain ethnic conditioning could be the reason.

Quoting Bonnie_:

Quoting alleaeon: You....can't be serious. Google image search and read some articles about what is going on in Iraq right now. They are raping and beheading children for f#$@s sake and you want to see some people with no fire power, so little resources that they had to flee to mountains (where their children are dying from thrist, btw) stand up to them!?

You see OP, you can't get too hung up on what everyone thinks bc most are like this ignorant drone right here: put five seconds of thought into some biased, low brow news cast and think your opinion means something!!!

Quoting Bonnie_:

Living
in the U.S. I think about how when the Westboro Baptist church
tried to make a mockery of the funerals of fallen soldiers and
veterans from all parts of the country, stepped up and put
themselves between the processions and the congregants. I see where
when police are being unfair to citizens other people start
filming to get documentation and give outcry for their
rights. When poor homeless people are being ousted from what
little they own, there are demonstrations against those actions.
Not to bash Muslims really... but it does me make me wonder...
When all this ethnic cleansing is going on, where Muslims are
saying convert to Islam or we will torture and kill you and your
babies in the cruelest ways... when Sharia Law is enacted on men,
women and children and BABIES. Where are the 'good peaceful Muslims' ?
I am told that only a small fraction of Muslims are radical
and they don't represent all the good peaceful Muslims. Yet we hear
nothing from them. Why do they NOT lift a had a finger or even a
voice in protest? If you 'good & peaceful Muslims' SAY you
don't agree with sickening brutality yet you won't even speak out in
protest against it then I am left to believe you are all a bunch
of liars or pussies.

Maybe  you  didn't  read  that correctly...    It  is The Christians  and NON  Muslims  who  are being  persecuted.  Do  you  understand that?      You  cannot  tell me  that  ONLY  ISIS  had  any  weapons.   and  ya  know what?  The  terrorists   are supposed  to be only  a SMALL  fraction   of Muslims  right???   My  point  is there is strength  in  numbers... so  where  are all the  peaceful  Muslims?     You  know... the  ones  who   say  they  don't  agree with the terrorists?     Why aren't  they coming  to the aid  of  Israel and the  persecuted  NON Muslims?     Like I said   there  is strength in  numbers  so  if they  REALLY  wanted to they could stop this.      Their silence      is   of  that  of   liars  or pussies.    Wear your badge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)