Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Steubenville Rapist Ma'Lik Richmond Back on School Football Team

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM
  • 36 Replies

Steubenville Rapist Ma'Lik Richmond Back on School Football Team

Guilty verdicts in Steubenville rape trial

NIGHTLY NEWS

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio - A former Ohio high school football player found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl after an alcohol-fueled party two years ago returned to the field Tuesday with his old team. Ma'Lik Richmond played for Steubenville High School in a scrimmage against Cambridge, NBC station WTOV reported.

Richmond and fellow athlete Trent Mays were adjudicated delinquent in the August 2012 assault on a West Virginia girl. Richmond was sentenced to one year in juvenile detention and Mays, who was also found guilty of using his phone to take a naked picture of the underage girl, was sentenced to two years. Richmond, now 18, was classified as a Tier II sex offender last August, meaning he will have to register every six months for the next 20 years. The school's football coach, Reno Saccoccia, said Richmond returned to school in January and was suspended from extracurricular activities for the remainder of the year. He told the TV station "it was a horrible crime," but Richmond completed everything the judicial system asked of him. "We don't deal in death sentences for juvenile activity, and I just feel that he's earned a second chance," Saccoccia said. The case brought international attention to the city of 18,000 and led to allegations of a cover-up to protect the football team.

nwp.org

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM

I don't like it, but many feel that criminals deserve a second chance.

Schmoopi
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

This is sad. He deserves a second chance but his victim has to live with what all of them did to her. She was publicly shamed. He should be as well.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this

He deserves the opportunity to move forward as he has satisfied the courts.  This is the way the legal system works in this country.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Second chance.

I don't know how comfortable I would feel, honestly.

He has completed what has been directed, legally.  I suppose if he was denied that would cause a stir of a different kind.

Gamer_mom1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
And some worry that the poor poor men will never bounce back from a rape accusation

I understand he's done his time but the law needs to do more. The criminal needs to suffer like the victim does. A rapist shouldn't get to inflict lifelong damage on someone and go back to life as usual after a meager 10 month sentence

He will probably go pro too

Why we are always so concerned about rapist retribution and not victims is beyond me
BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Consider, had the  legal forms had been properly followed no one would know his name.   There was a lot of  poor procedures hacking and miscarrage of justice. 

PerseyG
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:54 PM
As an Ohioan, this makes me hang my head in shame. This shithead and his useless lil bastard friends should be rotting in Juvvie until they turn 21. They got a slap on the wrist because football is Ohio's official deity.

I already threw something at my tv during the local news over this.
LoveMyDog
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel sorry for the kid who got cut from the team to make room for this idiot,  Yes he deserves a second chance to live his life and graduate from high school.  But that doesn't mean the team needs to make room for him.  I'm sure there is an ethical young man in that high school who would actually benefit the team.

CountryMomma123
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is great that he is getting a second chance. Yes what he did was bad and all that but he deserves a second chance. I say good luck to him.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:19 AM
He has to register as a sex offender. He is in for a world of suck because of that.

As it Should be.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN