Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Gay coach keeps his job as a coach

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM
  • 35 Replies

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/08/13/gay-volleyball-coach-to-keep-job-at-south-dakota-private-school/?intcmp=latestnews

A volleyball coach at St. Mary High School in Dell Rapids who has publicly announced he's gay says he's being allowed to keep his job.

Nate Alfson announced he was gay last week on the website www.outsports.com , and later said he was concerned about his future with the private Catholic school. He is believed to be the first openly gay high school coach in South Dakota.

Alfson met with school officials Tuesday and later said in an email to www.outsports.com and on his Facebook page that he will not lose his job.

"The meeting with the school went great," he said in his email. "We talked about being on the same page as each other and that they were willing to walk through this with me and support me."

Alfson did not immediately respond to an Associated Press request for comment Wednesday.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Sioux Falls issued a statement Tuesday night saying "all persons, whatever their attraction, are to be treated with respect, compassion and justice," the Argus Leader newspaper reported.

The statement said same-sex attraction does not disqualify someone from serving the church, though it added a clarification for cases of same-sex or opposite-sex lifestyles deemed "not chaste."

"In either of these circumstances, employment or public ministry on behalf of the Church is not appropriate," the statement said.

Alfson, 25, graduated from high school in Pipestone, Minnesota, in 2007, and went on to play baseball at Augustana College in Sioux Falls. He said he struggled with the fact that he was gay since ninth grade but finally decided he wanted to go public

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:30 AM
18 moms liked this

That's great, now if only we can get to a place where this isn't even a consideration or news.  

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this

He didn't announce a partnership, he just said he was gay.  I am venturing the church is taking the stance that he may be inclined to commit a sin, but not doing so.  Being attracted to the same sex is not a sin in itself, just as being attracted to your married neighbor isn't.  Acting upon those is where the sin comes in.

IDK...I am just glad to see someone missed a trip to the unemployment line.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM
3 moms liked this

I did read it, that's why I said "that's great" and then stated we need to get to a place where one doesn't even have to worry and keeping their job wouldn't be news.  I'm sorry if that confused you this morning.  

Quoting numbr1wmn:

ffs

CLearly you didn't read it.  Its also from the Associated Press.

I wish people would just grow up

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

That's great, now if only we can get to a place where this isn't even a consideration or news.  

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM

OMG I am so sorry. I totally misunderstood you! I agree though

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

I did read it, that's why I said "that's great" and then stated we need to get to a place where one doesn't even have to worry and keeping their job wouldn't be news.  I'm sorry if that confused you this morning.  

Quoting numbr1wmn:

ffs

CLearly you didn't read it.  Its also from the Associated Press.

I wish people would just grow up

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM

This is great!

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Kudos to that Diocese for welcoming everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elkmomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I'm surprised it made the new at all.  Typically we only see "So-n-so Fired for being gay".  It's nice to see a positive spin in the news now an then...not that this guy did anything note-worthy other than being a coach.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Cool
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM

That's good.

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Isn't one of the 10 commandments thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife?          Covet is something short of acting on it so equating the two might not be the best approach. 

transitive verb
:  to wish for earnestly <covet an award>
:  to desire (what belongs to another) inordinately or culpably
Quoting yourspecialkid:

He didn't announce a partnership, he just said he was gay.  I am venturing the church is taking the stance that he may be inclined to commit a sin, but not doing so.  Being attracted to the same sex is not a sin in itself, just as being attracted to your married neighbor isn't.  Acting upon those is where the sin comes in.

IDK...I am just glad to see someone missed a trip to the unemployment line.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN