Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you know they are no longer making diaphragms for birth control?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM
  • 8 Replies

I went in last week to get fitted for one because there is nothing else that I can do other than condoms and we got out daughter with those so with other issues i have with hormones and IUD issues in the past and the shots  my doctor said this is my only other option. But apparently the pharmacy called my doctors office and told them they no longer manufacture those and so now i dont know what to do.  We already have 3 kids and i had a misscarriage two months ago (we were using condoms and yes we use them correctly but they like to come off of him now and then)  So now I have no idea what other option i have. does anyone else have any suggestions other than just dont have sex.  I am a SAHM I have to at least give him that.

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
numbr1wmn
by Lina on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Have your tubes tied or a vasectomy

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM

There are other OTC options available that can be used in conjunction with condoms.

There is the pull out method, which does not always work either.

I am well past the point of needing birth control and am beyond thrilled.

However, my oldest has many different issues with hormonal bc.  An IUD isn't an option for her.  She has learned to use many different methods that require the absolute commitment from herself and any partner. 

It can be done, from what I understand, but it takes both people.  

Seek what is out there, educate yourself on all available, speak with your husband and work towards what will work for both of you.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

First the sponge and now this? Darn, glad I am no longer fertile. Sounds like you need to do something permanent.

Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Rhythm method combined with pull out and condoms, if neither one of you wants to get sterilized.
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM

That really sucks they aren't making them anymore.  I would guess if the condoms are slipping off then they are either to big or small and aren't fitting correctly.  If you don't want to be come pregnant I would look into either a permanent solution like your tubes-tied or have him get a vasectomy if you aren't good with that start tracking your cycles and use NFP method and pull-out. 

gdiamante
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Check out tcoyf.com. "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" is quite possibly the best natural family planning method out there. It is NOT rhythm... rhythm assumes your cycle never changes and for most women that's a false assumption. The TCOYF method gives you a day to day picture; travel or illness or any kind of stress can throw your cycle and the charting you do takes that into account.

The only other thing I can suggest is a vasectomy. Real Men have non-working plumbing. **grin**

gdiamante
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Apparently childbirth makes the sponge ineffective anyway. Giving birth permanently changes the cerix so that the sponge cannot be properly seated.

Quoting Sisteract:

First the sponge and now this? Darn, glad I am no longer fertile. Sounds like you need to do something permanent.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM

WTH

Have you tried the sponge? I saw those were back in the store the other day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)