Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job Life VS Personal Life

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

If your job started requesting personal demand, what would you do?

Some examples -

you work for a Ford dealership, they want you to drive a Ford car.
you work for a clothing company, they only want you wearing their clothing when working
you work for a church, they want you to have the same beliefs as them
you work for a hair salon, they want you to constantly change your hair.

You get the drift.

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
numbr1wmn
by Lina on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:05 PM

It depends. 

I wouldn't work for a place that i didn't like anyway. 

WHen I am on personal time that is my time and they can't infringe on that at all. If it's during work ours wearing their clothes I would.  As for church why would you work for a religious instiution if you didn't believe it?

hollyann85
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Because it's a job that pays the bills. Times are tough and if I find a job where I don't necessarily agree with how it is all run. I will put on a face for a paycheck.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

It depends. 

WHen I am on personal time that is my time and they can't infringe on that at all. If it's during work ours wearing their clothes I would.  As for church why would you work for a religious instiution if you didn't believe it?

numbr1wmn
by Lina on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I understand that

Quoting hollyann85:

Because it's a job that pays the bills. Times are tough and if I find a job where I don't necessarily agree with how it is all run. I will put on a face for a paycheck.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

It depends. 

pookietooth
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I think if they are willing to pay for it, then yes, I would drive a Ford, wear company clothes, get my hair done; I wouldn't work for a church that expected me to have their beliefs (even if I did share similar beliefs), because that's way too personal.

gdiamante
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

1. Henry Ford did indeed want his workers driving Fords, and gave his workers the money needed to afford it. If you're in a position where customers can see what you're driving, it's not surprising the company would want you driving THEIR vehicle, and hopefully they follow Mr. Ford's example.

2. At work? Especially if you're working in a retail store? Yes, it's reasonable for you to wear the brand. As a salesperson you are the brand ambassador. Can you see a Macys employee wearing WalMart?

3. Depends on the job for the church. If you're teaching religion, well, yeah. I'd expect you to have the same beliefs. But if the religion has NOTHING to do with the job otherwise, then I would NOT expect the same beliefs to be held. 

4. Your hair salon question reminds me of an old saying, "Never trust a skinny chef." When I go to a salon, I don't trust the too-trendy; I look for someone a little more mainstream. But if I was someone looking for an edgy look, then I'd expect the stylist to have it.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM

No, I don't get the drift.  Never worked for anyone that demaned I wear their clothing in my off time, I would not work for a religious organization that my beliefs didn't align with, have never known a hair stylist that wasn't into changing her hair and quite frankly, I wouldn't use a stylist who didn't take keep up with current trends...unless I was 85 years old

MelanieJK
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I wouldn't mind having to drive a Ford if it wasn't the only thing we could drive.  

The clothing requirement would be fine since it's work only.    

I wouldn't change my beliefts in order to work for a church.    I don't think it's unreasonable of them to hire people who share their beliefs but I guess it might depend on the specific job.   

I wouldn't want to have to change my hair style all the time but I wouldn't want to be a hairdresser at all anyway.     Maybe if I did I wouldnt' mind it.

OHgirlinCA
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Most car companies give their employees discounts on their cars to encourage them to drive their brand.  I have no issue with that.

I can understand why a clothing company would want you to wear their clothes while on the job.  You're a walking advertisement.  Most clothing stores give their employees discounts.

For church, I don't know why you would work in one if you didn't hold the same beliefs.

For a hair salon, I would think that a hairstylist would change their hair to fit the latest styles to attract more customers. 

This all makes sense to me.

MelanieJK
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I rarely if ever see a hairdresser who isn't trendy (or downright yikes).    But they seem to be able to do simple and less trendy stuff too.        I would think twice about asking them to do whatever they think would look good on me though!  

Quoting gdiamante:

1. Henry Ford did indeed want his workers driving Fords, and gave his workers the money needed to afford it. If you're in a position where customers can see what you're driving, it's not surprising the company would want you driving THEIR vehicle, and hopefully they follow Mr. Ford's example.

2. At work? Especially if you're working in a retail store? Yes, it's reasonable for you to wear the brand. As a salesperson you are the brand ambassador. Can you see a Macys employee wearing WalMart?

3. Depends on the job for the church. If you're teaching religion, well, yeah. I'd expect you to have the same beliefs. But if the religion has NOTHING to do with the job otherwise, then I would NOT expect the same beliefs to be held. 

4. Your hair salon question reminds me of an old saying, "Never trust a skinny chef." When I go to a salon, I don't trust the too-trendy; I look for someone a little more mainstream. But if I was someone looking for an edgy look, then I'd expect the stylist to have it.

SpiritedWitch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM

you work for a Ford dealership, they want you to drive a Ford car. If they provide a company car, yes. Otherwise, no. 

you work for a clothing company, they only want you wearing their clothing when working If they pay for them, yes. 

you work for a church, they want you to have the same beliefs as them. I'm Pagan, so this isn't even an option. 

you work for a hair salon, they want you to constantly change your hair. Depends. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)