Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment. Thoughts?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:19 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

Your thoughts?

I personally am against it, simply because there are thousands of disabled on Oregon Health Plan (OHP) that are going with out needed medical services because its considered "not medically necessary", how is optical coverage not necessay? how is physical therapy in order to keep your mobility so you don't end up in a chair sooner rather than later not necessay?

You want re-assignment surgery? fine, but not on the states dime at the expense of thousands of disabled individules.

Oregon Medicaid to cover gender reassignment

Posted: Aug 14, 2014 5:13 PM PST Updated: Aug 14, 2014 5:13 PM PST

By JONATHAN J. COOPER
Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Oregon's Medicaid program will soon cover gender reassignment surgery,hormone therapy and other treatments for transgender patients.

A panel of health experts on Thursday added gender dysphoria to the list of treatments covered by the OregonHealth Plan, Oregon's version of Medicaid. The program provides health coverage for nearly 1 million people in Oregon.

Officials estimate that about 175 Medicaid patients will seek treatment for gender dysphoria per year at a cost of less than $150,000.

The advocacy group Basic Rights Oregon calls the decision "an historic step forward toward fairness and equality for transgender Oregonians."

The coverage for gender dysphoria is set to begin Jan. 1.

Oregon insurance regulators have previously ordered private insurance companies to cover treatments for gender dysphoria, which was previously known as gender identity disorder.

http://www.kptv.com/story/26285585/oregon-medicaid-to-cover-gender-reassignment?autostart=true

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this

states rights....this state cares about all its people and there were some states that hope their people drop dead rather than expand their medicaid...good job Oregon

meriana
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:40 AM
4 moms liked this

Sorry I'm with the op on this one. Private insurance companies should be paying for it, not every taxpayer in the state, especially since there are people going without needed services as it is.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:55 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd like to see the list of what they don't cover before really weighing in, but this doesn't bother me. Sounds like the tax burden will be very low.
angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Some people can be born with both sexual organs and sometimes want surgery, is that covered under this new plan? I think those people should be helped if they need it.
skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM
I don't have a problem with it.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

That sounds about right......they have schools with 45 kids in a classroom because there is no money.....but they have money for this...yup, sounds just like Oregon. 

meriana
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

That sounds about right......they have schools with 45 kids in a classroom because there is no money.....but they have money for this...yup, sounds just like Oregon. 

Does make one wonder. Since, to my knowledge, that surgery cannot take place until they are adults, they've lived with the body part they were born with their entire life. It doesn't seem to stop them from presenting themselves as whatever gender they wish they were so it is an elective surgery based on desire rather than actual need. It'll be interesting to see what happens when/if people start demanding that other types of elective surgery also be covered, to be fair and non-discriminatory, things like nose jobs, breast implants because one doesn't like the shape of their nose or simply want larger breast and how about those face lifts, shouldn't they be covered under medicaid also.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I don't know enough detail. I think this isn't so much those who are born with male and female anatomy; rather those who want to switch from one gender to another. 

IDK- I think it depends on how they define medically necessary. Is it Is it medically necessary when there can be hormone therapy? Just like, is bariatric surgery or some others medically necessary for those who are morbidly obese? IDK- I think for some it is medically necesary, just like physical therapy, etc.

I see so much waste though overall in Medicaid- even for residents in nursing homes- most pain drugs aren't covered so they end up with high doses of narcotics and we just end up creating drug addicts- or antipsychotics are on there way out of use, so medicaid pays for 24/7 sitters for safety- we are out of balance somewhere in all this...

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I don't live in Oregon so I don't care what they do/don't cover.    

Malayahsmom06
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I think its not medically necessary, but it doesnt make me want to riot or anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN