Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Justice for All

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM
  • 37 Replies
Civil rights, are every citizen's rights, not any one race. And justice SHOULD BE color blind. I am a newshound...I follow news all over the country. Like most, I have been closely following the news coming out of #Ferguson. There were two more instances on Monday of police gunning down unarmed young men...one in L.A., 25yo Ezell Ford and one in Salt Lake City, 20yo Dillon Taylor. Ford was reportedly a black male with mental problems which were known to police and was compliant and lying on the ground when he was shot and killed. Taylor was reportedly a caucasian male confused because he had headphones on and attempting to comply when he was shot and killed by police. Civil rights suits are being brought in the Ezell shooting as well as the shooting of Mike Brown in Ferguson. Taylor's story seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle since he doesn't fit the profile our sensationalist media latches onto to boost ratings and grab attention. It's been said that there are three sides to every story...theirs, yours, and the truth. I'll be interested to see what the truth bears out in all of these cases because what the media today reports to us is not always facts. The reports are coming out now that Brown had possibly committed a strong arm robbery (which basically means robbery by force or intimidation) just prior to his altercation with police and subsequent death. Likewise, Taylor had an active warrant for violation of probation, that officers were unaware of at the time. I have to ask, do either of these situations justify the loss of a human life?
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Civil Rights suits are not for white people only against.

Mama_Resa
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
That is untrue. Civil rights are the rights of all citizens to political and social freedom and equality regardless of race, sex, or religion.
ashellbell
by shellbark on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:23 PM
9 moms liked this

That is literally the dumbest shit I have ever heard you say....and you say really dumb shit.

Bravo.

Quoting momtimesx4:

momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Prove it wrong.

Quoting ashellbell:

That is literally the dumbest shit I have ever heard you say....and you say really dumb shit.

Bravo.

Quoting momtimesx4:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:28 PM
2 moms liked this

How have other people obtaining civil rights worked against you? You supposedly have a vagina. I'm going to take it by your ignorant, back woods personality that you're a white person (just one who is obviously in fear of losing the "dominant" race card), civil rights have worked out wonderfully for you.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Prove it wrong.

Quoting ashellbell:

Bravo.

Quoting momtimesx4:

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM
3 moms liked this

http://www.komu.com/news/fire-district-settles-2nd-civil-rights-suit/

HAZELWOOD (AP) - A suburban St. Louis fire department has agreed to pay a former firefighter more than $100,000 to settle a federal civil rights complaint.

The U.S. Justice Department announced an agreement Thursday with the Robertson Fire Protection District in Hazelwood.

Ex-firefighter Steve Wilson filed the complaint in response to what he called retaliation by his bosses. Wilson, who is white, had testified in support of two black colleagues who had lodged their own civil rights complaint against the Robertson district in 2007.

In that case, the fire district agreed to pay $420,000 to Lamont Downer and Ephraim Woods Jr.

Wilson said that after his testimony, he was denied promotional opportunities and subjected to frequent performance evaluations compared to his co-workers. He will receive $107,500.

White teacher wins $350,000 in Prince George’s schools bias lawsuit

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/jury-awards-former-prince-georges-county-teacher-350000-over-retaliation-claim/2014/08/08/6e2d50f6-1e73-11e4-82f9-2cd6fa8da5c4_story.html

August 8

A former Prince George’s County teacher won a $350,000 jury award after accusing the school system of discriminating against him because he is white.

Jon Everhart alleged in his lawsuit against the Prince George’s County school board that a black principal forced him out of his job because of his race.

“Justice was served,” Everhart said. “I do feel as though I have been vindicated.”

Everhart, 65, speaking by phone from Ohio after the verdict in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, said he faced years of racial harassment from the Largo High School principal, who he said repeatedly told staffers and students that she planned to fire him.

“She called me ‘poor white trash’ and ‘white b----,’ ” Everhart said of the principal, Angelique Simpson-Marcus, who leads the 1,100-student school in Upper Marlboro. “Her behavior was so outlandish.”

Simpson-Marcus said in an interview that the allegations are baseless. She declined to comment on the reason for Everhart’s termination, but she said the complaints of ill treatment and retaliation were “unfounded.”

“I never said any of those things,” she said. “I don’t use that kind of language.”

Max Pugh, a spokesman for the Prince George’s County school system, said he could not comment on the case because the litigation is ongoing; the school system has 30 days to respond to the judge’s order and could file an appeal.

Everhart sued in 2010 after he was fired, and he was one of several Largo High School employees who made allegations of harassment. Some whofiled lawsuits said they were mistreated for vocally supporting Everhart.

Bryan Chapman, Everhart’s attorney, argued that the Board of Education violated the Civil Rights Act, which says organizations receiving federal funding cannot discriminate on the basis of race, color or national origin. There is no cap in potential damages in such cases; Everhart originally sought $5 million.

The jury sided with Everhart on the discrimination claim, but it found in favor of the county school board on Everhart’s claim of a hostile work environment.

Everhart’s award is for compensatory damages. He said he has suffered from high blood pressure and heart problems as a result of his treatment at Largo.

U.S. District Judge Peter J. Messitte will later decide how much Everhart should receive in back pay and benefits. The school system has 30 days to show why Everhart should not receive retirement and health benefits and why his teaching certificate, which was revoked when he was fired, should not be restored.

Everhart, a former Baltimore city teacher, was hired by Prince George’s in 2003 and was assigned to teach English at Largo. At that time, Simpson-Marcus was a physical education teacher.

Everhart said Simpson-Marcus told students that the “only reason a white teacher teaches in P. G. County is that they can’t get a job elsewhere.” He filed a union grievance against her and said she told him that if she ever became principal, he would be the first person she would fire.

Chapman said that when Simpson-Marcus returned to Largo as its principal, Everhart, who was once named the school’s Teacher of the Year and who received stellar evaluations, started to receive unsatisfactory performance evaluations.

Everhart said he was removed from teaching honors English to juniors and seniors — classes in which he was popular — and was placed in a freshman class, where Simpson-Marcus allegedly told students that Everhart was going to lose his job.

Chapman said that Everhart filed complaints but that they were often ignored. He tried to get transferred to another high school, but the effort was blocked, Chapman said. There was never a school system investigation of the matter, Chapman and Everhart said.

“I just think it was a disgrace, and I think that’s what the jury saw, too,” Chapman said.

---

proved wrong

Quoting momtimesx4:

Prove it wrong.

Quoting ashellbell:

Bravo.

Quoting momtimesx4:

momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.  

Quoting ashellbell:

How have other people obtaining civil rights worked against you? You supposedly have a vagina. I'm going to take it by your ignorant, back woods personality that you're a white person (just one who is obviously in fear of losing the "dominant" race card), civil rights have worked out wonderfully for you.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Prove it wrong.

Quoting ashellbell:

Bravo.

Quoting momtimesx4:

momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I didn't ask you to do it, I asked ashellbell to do it.  

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

http://www.komu.com/news/fire-district-settles-2nd-civil-rights-suit/

HAZELWOOD (AP) - A suburban St. Louis fire department has agreed to pay a former firefighter more than $100,000 to settle a federal civil rights complaint.

The U.S. Justice Department announced an agreement Thursday with the Robertson Fire Protection District in Hazelwood.

Ex-firefighter Steve Wilson filed the complaint in response to what he called retaliation by his bosses. Wilson, who is white, had testified in support of two black colleagues who had lodged their own civil rights complaint against the Robertson district in 2007.

In that case, the fire district agreed to pay $420,000 to Lamont Downer and Ephraim Woods Jr.

Wilson said that after his testimony, he was denied promotional opportunities and subjected to frequent performance evaluations compared to his co-workers. He will receive $107,500.

---

proved wrong

Quoting momtimesx4:

Prove it wrong.

Quoting ashellbell:

Bravo.

Quoting momtimesx4:

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Honestly, you were kidding with that remark, right?

Quoting momtimesx4:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course it does. YOU are a white person who civil rights laws have worked for and not against. Look at that, you can vote. Own land. Spout stupid shit all over the internets. Not get sexually harrassed. Be treated like something other than property. How has it worked against you?

Quoting momtimesx4:

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.  

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Prove it wrong.

Quoting ashellbell:

Bravo.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN